Wedding Woes

I wish I could strap cement boots to my future SIL. This could get long folks!

Sorry guys, but I just really need to vent about this, and it probably will not flow right, so please bare with me.  My FI's sister has been driving us up a friggin wall ever since we got engaged. And it all started with a stupid card box.......

She asked me if she could make us the box for our reception, and I didn't mind because she's incredibly crafty, and i thought it was a nice gesture. Well, apparently making a card box also means that she now feels the need to "advise" us on every move we make, including things that have NOTHING to do with the wedding! She and her husband are worse off financially than we are (granted our money tree died a long time ago), yet she is always telling us how we can "better" budget our wedding, even though we're cutting as many corners as possible, because we are paying for everything ourselves. I find it funny how her "suggestions" are things she did at her own wedding- 15 years ago. She continually makes comments (probably in good nature, but I see it as being a nag) about how I shouldn't go back to school just yet (I'm a new LPN wanting to go for my RN), but then "reminds" us of "Well your going back to school right?", as if I'm not a real nurse or something.

Then there's the guest list- When we first started putting together our list, she sent me this long Facebook message telling me of all of the people from their side of the family that we "had" to invite. My future FIL doesn't even SPEAK to 3/4 of his family (He lives in NJ, his family is in CA). I about freaked when I saw this list because it's all these people that my FI didn't even know existed, including this persons 3 kids, and that persons 2 kids (we've made it VERY known that we are having an adults only wedding). Thankfully, when we ran the list by my FI's parents, they automatically vetoed just about everyone on it. Apparently, SIL thought we should invite them because SHE"S FRIENDS WITH THEM ON FACEBOOK. Last time I checked this was our wedding, thanks....

Her latest thing is trying to con us into extra gift registries at stores that we really don't care for (we're registered at BB&B, so it's not like we don't have gifts in every price range to make things affordable) just because that's where their brother and his wife registered. She has also tried to get us to change our minds on gifts because she had a cheaper version of it in her house somewhere that she could just wrap up and give us instead. WHAT??!

Outside of the wedding, she's a total narc. My FI has found that things that she finds out through the grape vine has gone straight back to his parents, through the  mouth of his sister. My other sister in law, who,m I get along with just fine, said she also had issues like this with her. She was telling people to ignore their gift registry and shop at the stores that she thought they should have registered at, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm really trying to keep telling myself that she just wants to help and doesn't realize how intrusive she is coming off. She's a nice woman, but I just can't take it. 3/4 of everything she says to us about anything is always negative, but my FI says she has always been that way.

Ok, I think I'm done. Again, my apologizes to anyone who had to suffer though my long and awkwardly flowing rant, but I had to vent it somehow. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I wish I could strap cement boots to my future SIL. This could get long folks!

• edited December 2011
    First, don't talk to her about the wedding. If she asks, don't go into the details.

Second, memorize these phrases:
    "Thanks for the advice, but we have it covered."
    "No"
    "That's a good suggestion, I'll keep that in mind." or "We've already made our final selection."
    "No"
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JB26368JB26368 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those last few phrases have been my go-to's since Febuary, haha. Thankfully, she usually picks something different to advise on afterwards. We don't really talk to her about it, she finds stuff out through other people. And I've really stopped making comments to my friends on FB about stuff, because I know she creeps on their pages, and I know I'm just bringing it on myself in that case.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wish-could-strap-cement-boots-future-sil-this-could-long-folks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:b9f07e4d-b0ce-4528-8ce3-c619fd1e4a22Post:0a32cb90-2260-4249-827a-4653b2a3b377">I wish I could strap cement boots to my future SIL. This could get long folks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry guys, but I just really need to vent about this, and it probably will not flow right, so please bare with me.  My FI's sister has been driving us up a friggin wall ever since we got engaged. And it all started with a stupid card box....... She asked me if she could make us the box for our reception, and I didn't mind because she's incredibly crafty, and i thought it was a nice gesture. Well, apparently making a card box also means that she now feels the need to "advise" us on every move we make, including things that have NOTHING to do with the wedding! She and her husband are worse off financially than we are (granted our money tree died a long time ago), yet she is always telling us how we can "better" budget our wedding, even though we're cutting as many corners as possible, because we are paying for everything ourselves. I find it funny how her "suggestions" are things she did at her own wedding- 15 years ago. She continually makes comments (probably in good nature, but I see it as being a nag) about how I shouldn't go back to school just yet (I'm a new LPN wanting to go for my RN), but then "reminds" us of "Well your going back to school right?", as if I'm not a real nurse or something. Then there's the guest list- When we first started putting together our list, she sent me this long Facebook message telling me of all of the people from their side of the family that we "had" to invite. My future FIL doesn't even SPEAK to 3/4 of his family (He lives in NJ, his family is in CA). I about freaked when I saw this list because it's all these people that my FI didn't even know existed, including this persons 3 kids, and that persons 2 kids (we've made it VERY known that we are having an adults only wedding). Thankfully, when we ran the list by my FI's parents, they automatically vetoed just about everyone on it. Apparently, SIL thought we should invite them because SHE"S FRIENDS WITH THEM ON FACEBOOK. Last time I checked this was our wedding, thanks.... Her latest thing is trying to con us into extra gift registries at stores that we really don't care for (we're registered at BB&B, so it's not like we don't have gifts in every price range to make things affordable) just because that's where their brother and his wife registered. She has also tried to get us to change our minds on gifts because she had a cheaper version of it in her house somewhere that she could just wrap up and give us instead. WHAT??! Outside of the wedding, she's a total narc. My FI has found that things that she finds out through the grape vine has gone straight back to his parents, through the  mouth of his sister. My other sister in law, who,m I get along with just fine, said she also had issues like this with her. She was telling people to ignore their gift registry and shop at the stores that she thought they should have registered at, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm really trying to keep telling myself that she just wants to help and doesn't realize how intrusive she is coming off. She's a nice woman, but I just can't take it. 3/4 of everything she says to us about anything is always negative, but my FI says she has always been that way. Ok, I think I'm done. Again, my apologizes to anyone who had to suffer though my long and awkwardly flowing rant, but I had to vent it somehow. 
    Posted by JB26368[/QUOTE]

did you hve a question or just want to complain?

Where is your FI in all of this? Has he given his sister a "ho sit down" card? If not, that's the first step.

If she continues to pester you, just stop responding. Stop listening to gossip. Be the bigger person and learn to ignore it. Don't answer the phone when she calls, don't respond to online messages - if she's not an absolute moron, she'll get the picture and give up.
  • JB26368JB26368 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just complaining really. We're both just learning to live with it and blow it off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, this is definitely a situation where it will keep going as long as you feed it, so you need to starve her instead.  Stop feeding her info if you don't want to hear her commentary.
  • cfoxwheelercfoxwheeler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Girl, I feel your pain I have a future SIL that is the same way!  I asked mine if she wanted to go look at wedding dresses with me and when we got there she found her some wedding dresses and started trying them on.  Please keep in mind the girl is married to my FI's brother.  This blew my mind.  I posted something on the board as well today and did not get a very good response and was told I am a difficult bride.  You should check it out. "what to do" is the name of it!

Good luck!!
  • JB26368JB26368 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will thanks! Honestly I was waiting for that same response to my post. I won't even tell her what my dress looks like because I know that the description will wind up on facebook or something. Plus I don't feel like hearing her opinion about it. I don't think that being annoyed at a SIL who is trying on dresses while she's supposed to be helping you makes you a difficult bride. It sounds like yours and mine are both lacking some common courtesy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards