Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Good Morning!

TGI-almost-F! I'm here early today- was sleepy, but now I'm awake from running to work to avoid being late. Gotta love the metro... Undecided At least I get to leave at 4, which equals more time for dinner before kickboxing. Have a wonderful Thursday!

Re: Good Morning!

• edited December 2011
    Good Morning!

I have a hearing this morning so I am still at home. Yay for meetings that start at 10. My BFFs are arriving tomorrow! We try to plan two trips in DC a year. This one may be our last big trip because my one friend is preggers and is due in June. I've been busy getting my apartment clean. There will be four of them arriving. I'm so excited to see them!

Kim-- Yay for getting to work early to leave early! Oy! The metro is such a mess, you never know if you will arrive on time or not.

Have a good day everyone!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011

Have fun with your friends, J! I love having visitors- my parents will be here for Easter, then my BFF the week after, and I think the in-laws are coming at the beginning of May.

I try not to complain about metro too much, but I can't help it. Sometimes I'll get to work 15-20 min. early, and sometimes right when I start. It's actually worse when I come in early- it used to be a relaxing, more peaceful ride in, but now it's often stressful. I refuse to leave any earlier! How long have you been living in DC? Probably longer than me...it will be 2 years in July that we've been here.

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good Morning everyone!

Another school day for me... blah... well, we had a good night last night! Ate some yummy dinner and made delicious chocolate fondue! It was fun! So after all of that talk about hotel blocks I called both hotels I was looking at yesterday and got my blocks done! I was able to get 40 rooms at the Holiday Inn Univ. Ctr, and the Wyndham has me starting at 25 (they said they would add more as the block fills) plus the bridal suite :) I'm so glad that is over with!! Thanks ladies for pushing me to get it done! I guess I just thought that I wouldn't have to worry about it this soon because it's still over a year away! Another check to the list though!!

Kim - yay for leaving early!! And have fun kickboxing! I have to try it some time! My problem right now is that I have ABSOLUTELY no time for anything besides work and school :( boo

JL - Have fun with your friends!! Sounds like it will be a great time! GL with the apt cleaning... I know how that could go sometimes!!
  • edited December 2011
    Glad you got your rooms blocked, G! It is crazy how quickly things fill up...I did mine at about 11 months out, but the hotels were in Monroeville. Downtown is different, I guess!
  • edited December 2011
    Good Morning Ladies!

I booked our rooms for our trip to Chicago this summer! Which makes me wonder how many rooms in our block have been booked... we need at least 10 to get the suite....
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good morning everyone!  I went to an interesting green/sustainable transportation forum last night, then tried a new recipe for dinner.  I am officially obsessed with quinoa!

JL, yay for your friends coming this weekend!  It will be a fun trip.
    G, good work on the room block!  It's awesome you have so much done ahead of time.
    Sara, which hotel are you staying at here?  I want to hook you up with some bar/restaurant recommendations :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Gm all.  Class all day for me, and lunch with one of my gf's who is moving next week. 
    We won our vball game last night.

I found a great house online in Wexford that we're going to go see.  Our realtor is booked, so I'm hoping we can go alone.  The owner is going to list with an agent in the next two weeks so we need to act fast to avoid paying seller's commission.  I don't have the contracts in front of me, so I'm hoping we can see the home without our agent present. Any insights/experience with that?

JL - fun fun fun for visitng friends.  I was just thinking about how I want friends to come visit, lol.

WOT - Kindle owners - what size do you own??
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bri, WHOOO Wexford!  Wexford is the best :)  Not that I'm biased or anything...

Vacation
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bri - I have the Kindle with the 6" display (it's the smaller of the two) and I LOVE IT!!! :) I got it last year and I have read more in the past year than I had my entire life!! I think the 6" display is the perfect size for travel etc... Although, I will admit, I've never seen the bigger one (I think it's a 10" screen or something)  in person.

My FSIL just bought a B&N nook and she absolutely LOVES it! The only thing I like better about the nook is that you can 'share' books with people, whereas with the Kindle, you can't 'share' books... but I really do love everything else about my Kindle :) HTH!
  • edited December 2011

Morning ladies,
      I was beat this morning so I didn't make it on here.  FI said I woke up screaming 3 times during the night, so I figure that's partially why I'm so tired-however, I don't really remember doing it, but the dreams must have been bad.
      Aerobics was awesome again last night-really a great workout.
    JL-Have fun visiting!

Kim-All public transportation sucks, but I will say metro seems to be worse then most.

G-Glad you got your rooms blocked!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Yea, metro is among the worst, IMO. But I really disagree that all public transporation is bad. When I studied in Barcelona for a semester, I used the metro almost every day, and never had a problem. It was so much quicker and more efficient. But that's Europe. I don't think DC's system is a good representation of public transit in America.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a little late but wanted to say HI! I can't kick this cold.  Unfortunately, I work late tonight and early tomorrow.  But, tomorrow we have a meeting with the bank to sign paperwork and than we have our house inspection! 

Bri- I agree with Jen, Wexford is wonderful :)  You are close to EVERYTHING, IMO.  I hope you are able to see the house this weekend and things go well!!

Jen- I just googled quinoa, how do you cook with it?!

Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Meg, I love it!  I've done it mixed into vegetarian chili, my roommate made some this week with roasted corn and scallions, last night was as a warm salad with butternut squash, pistachios, pear and arugula, and one day we even made it with fruit and cream for breakfast :)  I first had it as a soup in Peru but I haven't tried that myself yet.   It's especially great for vegetarians since it's very high in protein.

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Kim- I agree that the metro is the worst. I never seem to have these kind of issues in New York or San Fran. Grrr... I've been in DC about 6 years now and love it! Crappy transportation and all!

GMC I am so jealous that you got so many rooms at the Holiday Inn. I am going to call the Wyndham too! Do you know what their group rate is?

Jenn- I've never cooked with quinoa but have had it at whole foods and a few other places, so yummy!

Duq- I hope everything goes well with your inspection
    Bri- Good luck with the house in Wexford!

Heather- goodness on your dreams! I hope you have a more restful night!

Marburs- Yay for Chicago!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • jaimed99jaimed99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good...er...Afternoon, Ladies!

I am very excited...we're packed and pretty much ready to go for our trip tomorrow...

I think quinoa can be cooked same as rice...did you know (random fact) that it's the only "perfect protein"? It has all of the necessary amino acids that your body needs without having to supplement with meat :) I've heard it's yummy too, I'd like to try it sometime! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards