Registry and Gift Forum

Does the Store Matter?

I was thinking of registering at Walmart because they have a Better Homes and Gardens serving collection that I love and that really the only thing I could think of that I may not buy on my own. The main reason for Walmart though is family on my mothers side are all tight for money and I don't want them feeling at all pressured into buying an $80 Pasta dish when they could for 25, but I am afraid my dads side and my FI's family, who are all very wealthy, will think its tacky and snicker at the wedding, because they are the type that would. Should I register at two stores or do I look selfish, honestly I don't care about gifts but family is insting.

Also I know it is too early to actually register but I have to do the biggest part of planning now because it is going to be a busy year, but when do you think I should set a registery, an aunt suggested asap so there would be lots of time to buy those pricer things. I just dont know
10.2011 Siggy
BM Dresses
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker
*Updated 1/21*

Re: Does the Store Matter?

• It's really up to you.  FYI, many people refuse to shop at Walmart for various personal reasons, so I would consider adding a second registry.   It's always good to register at more than one store so guests can pick where they'd like to buy from.

I would not register yet.  We registered 9 months in advance and have had a crazy time with lots of things going out of stock, being discontinued, et cetera.  Stores change their stock several times a year, so it's highly unlikely that everything they have now they'll have in a year and 4 months.  I would do it no earlier than 6 months out.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Sure you can register at 2 stores. I think you are being very considerate of your family by picking things in price ranges they can afford.
  • yea I wanted to wait closer to 6 months maybe I will just make grandma a list so she will be happy with a year and a half notice.
    10.2011 Siggy
    BM Dresses
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    *Updated 1/21*
  • I think 2-3 different store registries is common now.  It's perfectly fine for you to have 2.
  • I agree with Brie about many people not shopping at Walmart. If I saw that the only place you were registered at was Walmart, you'd get a check. I will not shop there. So if I were you, I'd consider adding a second registry. 
  • I am not a wal-mart shopper, so I wouldn't go there. Have a second one somewhere else, maybe somewhere more expensive to please your dad's family.

• In my experience, two or three registries are much more common than a single registry. If you're concerned about this, register at Wal Mart for a few items and do a second registry somewhere like Bed Bath and Beyond.

BBB is pretty good about carrying a variety of styles and price points. You can likely find both a $75 pasta dish as well as a $30 brand. It may be a bit more expensive than Wal Mart, but shouldn't be so much more that it breaks the bank for your guests. 

• This has already been said, but just to reiterate the sentiment, I personally choose to never shop at Walmart.  Not because it is a "low class store" but because of their business policies.  That said, I know many people love shopping there and you know your guests better than we do, so definitely register there if it will make your family feel more comfortable with the price points.  Just give a second option, like a Macys, for FI's family or other people like me who loathe that store.
  • I think it's actually more considerate of your guests to register at more than one place so they can chose where they'd rather shop.  Plus side to Wal-Mart is they're everywhere and they reasonably priced for people on a tight budget.  Down sides are that a lot of people hate shopping there, and many of the stores make you register online now.  A lot of items in the stores aren't available online.  I definately agree that you should also register at another store for people who don't like it, or who want to give china or silver or stuff like that. 

I also agree that registering too early creates a problem because stores change their merchandise and some things on your registry will be out of stock within 6 months.  You could still register for your china and things like that now.
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • I also refuse to shop at Walmart and know several other people with the same opinions on the store. That said, there will probably be a handful of guests at your shower and wedding who feel the same way and would need more variety when shopping for you and your FI.

Having 2-3 registries is the norm and gives your guests lots of variety in terms of store locations, items to shop for, different price points, and simply store preference. FI and I are registered at 3 places and made sure to include several price points to make it easier on our guests. HTH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_store-matter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:574684ab-6b2c-48cd-be1b-db923b642eb0Post:4281beee-d89d-446c-a0f5-181dd9b2fa2d">Re: Does the Store Matter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you register at Target or BBB instead of WalMart?  They have similar prices, but are perceived to be "classier" stores.  I know that you like those serving pieces, but they might not even be there by the time you register.  Compare the items that each store carries closer to the time you register, and then choose a less expensive and a more expensive store.  This is what I did (chose Target and Macy's) and it's worked out great.
    Posted by rach6409[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! Not only is Target cleaner and a more pleasant experience, but their stuff is much better quality than Walmarts and will most likely last longer. Your wedding gifts should last you a long time not only a little while.
  • I have no problem shopping at Walmart but I know that some people do.  Maybe register at Walmart, and then maybe BB&B or something?  BB&B always has the 20% coupons, so people would be able to save money while buying you a gift from there.  Or even Target, prices like that are comparable. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe you could to Target and Walmart? I think it's really nice you're thinking of other people!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_store-matter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:574684ab-6b2c-48cd-be1b-db923b642eb0Post:de771e80-9c6d-4aec-82e7-7eb9bc9520ac">Re: Does the Store Matter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Brie about many people not shopping at Walmart. If I saw that the only place you were registered at was Walmart, you'd get a check. I will not shop there. So if I were you, I'd consider adding a second registry. 
    Posted by AKG_JGJ[/QUOTE]

This. How about Bed Bath and Beyond? Amazon.com? Target?

And yes, it is WAY too early to register now. I'm registering at the end of February for my October wedding and I still think that's too early.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I've heard that you can register for 2-4 places without being tacky... I would totally go with Target over Walmart though, imo. Basically the same place, only one is gross. :)
  • If you're worried about having more than one registry you could make one on myregistry.com and then just add things from several different stores to the one registry. This way you could even make sure only to register for affordable things from the more expensive stores, and your fiance's family wouldn't look down on you for just having a walmart registry. It's very nice of you to be so considerate of everyone's budgets and feelings!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards