Attire & Accessories Forum

Help Please With Groom's Attire

So we're trying to get the coordination down and we might have a problem between the color of the bride's dress and the groom's shirt. 

Her dress color is ivory and my suit is going to be a medium-to-meduim/light grey (steel grey, slate grey).  The problem comes in with the shirt as it's been suggested that if I want to wear the green vest (between an olive green and a kelly green) I should wear a white shirt, but that might make her dress look dingy in the photos.  The rest of the groomsmen will be wearing vests that match the suits. 

Can we wear cream colored shirts instead?  Would that work for both vest colors? 

Re: Help Please With Groom's Attire

• I think ivory would be perfectly fine. I love the look of a black shirt under a black suit with a colored vest/tie/whatever; would finding a shirt to match the suit work for you?
  • edited July 2012
    I'm not having a black suit though, it's going to be a grey suit.  And not that dark grey that is almost black, but a steel or slate (medium) grey unless I'm not understanding you correctly here.

The ivory can't change, that's her dress color and it's already bought.  That's why I'm thinking cream colored shirts instead.  An October wedding though.

If I could find a grey shirt, I'm just wondering if that'll be too dark all around in contrast. 
  • No idea.  I certainly wouldn't wear a cream shirt with green. 

My dress is ivory.  The store told us that the groom should match the bride and then the groomsmen can wear the colors. 

So in our scenario (we have a brown and ivory theme) my fiance is wearing an ivory tie and vest, white shirt and a black tux obviously.  The guys are your typical black and white.
    I had asked about would a white shirt make my dress look dingy.  But it doesn't because the ivory tie and vest would match.  Anyway long story short, the ivory on white looked sharp versus ivory on ivory which looked just blah and dingy.

Me personally, I would tell you to do a white shirt, and then maybe ivory tie or vest?  Let the guys wear white shirts with the green vests.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • What about the shirt matching your vest?  The same olive for your shirt as it will be for your vest. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    The problem with that Miss_2010 is that the green is my color, that's why I chose it and the vest itself is going to be something I buy to keep from the wedding. What about an white shirt and ivory tie?
  • The groom and best man are wearing ivory, and the other two are wearing white.  I only assume that it's the G and BM because they have the boutonneire's

• I think you and all of your guys should just wear white shirts.  Honestly, the bride may say her dress is ivory but there are soooooo many different colors in the white/off white/ivory family that a white shirt that is worn under a vest and a jacket will not be noticeable in the slightest.  This is one of those small details noone, and I mean no one, will notice, not even pictures will this small difference show up.

• edited July 2012
    I'm only worrying about it because we had a great combination picked out, and now we've had one professional tell us about the clashing that it might create, so now it's sending a twist into the plans. 

I appreciate all of yours advice.  Past 24 hours now have been hectic because I went from a solid plan to scrambling.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-please-with-grooms-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:05898e84-a298-40d6-b254-a029d705471ePost:215667d7-bc81-49a7-9117-dd14114cbd2a">Re: Help Please With Groom's Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'm not having a black suit though,</strong> it's going to be a grey suit.  And not that dark grey that is almost black, but a steel or slate (medium) grey unless I'm not understanding you correctly here. The ivory can't change, that's her dress color and it's already bought.  That's why I'm thinking cream colored shirts instead.  An October wedding though. If I could find a grey shirt, I'm just wondering if that'll be too dark all around in contrast. 
    Posted by TheGreenOne1982[/QUOTE]

I didn't say YOU should wear a black shirt, I asked if you could find a shirt that matched the suit. I'm not really sure how that would look, but since I like that look in black, it could work with gray.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-please-with-grooms-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:05898e84-a298-40d6-b254-a029d705471ePost:4340f792-1691-4efe-b5c0-73fda35c63f7">Re: Help Please With Groom's Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm only worrying about it because we had a great combination picked out, and now we've had one professional tell us about the clashing that it might create, so now it's sending a twist into the plans.  I appreciate all of yours advice.  <strong>Past 24 hours now have been hectic because I went from a solid plan to scrambling</strong>.
    Posted by TheGreenOne1982[/QUOTE]

Dude, they are only shirts.

And don't listen to the "professionals".  There job is to get as much money out of you as possible, not to tell you the truth.

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Just wear a white shirt.  White goes with everything, even ivory.  Just like black goes with everything.  Ivory shirts look dingy.
  • Thanks again for all the honest opinions!  My initial thought to was that these guys were trying to get more money out of me, especially since only a few said it but they are the most recent ones I contacted.  Getting some more feedback and getting my head straight on the issue has helped, and proven to me that it really isn't an issue at all. 

Sometimes I wonder if I should have just let the bride do everything :P  Nah.......where would the fun in that be....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards