Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!

I just posted this on Receptions but found this one too.
Is anyone else on here planning on doing the same? And have you figured out what you are going to be offering as the main dishes?

We are starting to look and get ideas now.
Smile
Thank you!!
imageimageAnniversary

Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!

• SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is pretty much vegetarian until the main course, but feel free to use any of our ideas. There is cheese.. so I guess it depends on what type of veggie you are. We are serving family style.

Appetizer plate- Babaghanoush, hummus, olives, some sort of bosnian bread, radishes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and feta.

Salad: Arugula with marinated tomatoes and goat cheese.

Vegetable #1- Roasted eggplant stuffed with tomatoes, cheese, pine nuts, and some other stuff. , basically its 1/2 eggplant per person. HUGE Serving

Vegetable #2- Root Veggie Baklava- puff pastry layered with potatoes, leeks, fennel, carrots, and parsnips, seasoned with dill

Side dish- Polenta squares

Our main dish is beef pot roast, but you I can tell you that after eating everything above during our tasting, I had no room for beef. I'd say you could add a cool soup, or even another veggie dish as a main course.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    mine will be vegan (i've been one since age 13 and wouldn't want my wedding to be any other way!).  menu is still up in the air, but we'll be turning it over to the good people at Candle 79!

btw, for great ideas about what to serve, you should check out the menus of the greatest vegetarian restaurants, like candle 79 in nyc, blossom in nyc, horizons in philadelphia, millennium in SF, ubuntu in napa...
  • MsBunny312MsBunny312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our food will be mostly pescatarian heavy hor dourves: fish and veggies, but I might thow in one chicken dish. We like smoked salmon, shrimp, eggplant, bruchetta, cheese ravioli, and mini quiches.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:7634089c-db7c-496d-b37f-c75216533c43Post:9c6667d0-7eff-4577-b856-7ea14b5a00e4">Re: Vegetarian Wedding Reception!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]mine will be vegan (i've been one since age 13 and wouldn't want my wedding to be any other way!).  menu is still up in the air, but we'll be turning it over to the good people at  Candle 79 ! btw, for great ideas about what to serve, you should check out the menus of the greatest vegetarian restaurants, like candle 79 in nyc, blossom in nyc, horizons in philadelphia, millennium in SF, ubuntu in napa...
    Posted by jeanieg[/QUOTE]

Candle 79 is AMAZING. I went there for brunch last time I was in NY and I've made the seitan piccata out of their cookbook.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • robbinrlrobbinrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really want a vegetarian reception but have found it difficult on a budget as most of the cheaper caterers are the basic meat + strachy sides type and we want the food from someone who reguraly cooks vegetarian. I would love to serve family style, but have been told that it is more expensive due to the extra serving dishes needed.

I would love to hear from someone who has served all vegetarian to see how it went and what they did.

SarahPLiz: your meal sounds close to what we want (minus the pot roast), are you getting that from just a basic caterer? Any suggestions?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not planning to do a veggie reception, but we're offering vegetarian lasagna as one of our main dishes.  Just thought I'd throw the idea in - you can't really lose with that one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards