Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Married ladies: Gift Question

What was the most interesting or unique (in a good way) gift you received as a wedding gift? 

My cousin's fiancee was in China for 12 days for business and got us real chopsticks (as opposed to wooden!) and what we believe is a rice wine gift set.
 I am waiting on confirmation for that.  The writing on it is all in chinese and the only english says 16%vol. so we are assuming that is what it is.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Married ladies: Gift Question

• New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've got unique in a bad way! MIL gave me a granny-style lace nightie set, but it was completely see through. DH was completely turned off just looking at it. It also came with a rosary she hand-made for me (the beads on it looked like an overripe banana - yellow with brown spots)

Seriously, the most interesting gift we received was handmade/blown/whatever crystal from a BM's parents, who were vacationining in Prague and unable to attend, so they brought us back some crystal. We lurve it :)
  • edited December 2011

Not really unqiue, but my favorite wedding gift is a stained glass clock that my DH's friend from boyscouts made us. I cannot wait to hang it up someday (I won't now b/c we're in an apt.)

The chopsticks and rice wine set sound very cool!

• reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahaha i want to see the nightie set.

We had a non-religious ceremony because neither of us are religious. DH's great great aunt bought us a crucifix.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The nightie set got regifted back to MIL for her own bridal shower last spring :P (Oh, and forgot to mention it was a size XL!)

And DH and I aren't religious either.
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahaha. did she recognize it?

i was going to regift the crucifix to his grandma, but she most likely was there when it was purchased...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You bet she recognized it - it still had the tags and all. Athough I wasn't at her shower, and had to hear about it second-hand.
  • edited December 2011
    Jenn - You are cracking me up!!!

We got a popcorn machine from my coworkers. It's fun. :)

We also got a beautiful glass pitcher from the Irish Design Center from a friend. It is beautiful and not something I would have asked for but love.
  • edited December 2011
    The morning after the wedding as we were opening up gifts, we received a frame.  The frame was nice, and our style, but it was a frame.  But, for some reason, I did a double take when I set it aside.  One of my really good friends' husband is an amateur photographer.  They had taken a picture of DH and I in our receiving line with these huge smiles on our faces, stopped and gotten it printed out and put in the frame before the reception.  It was one of my favorite things we received (and I LOVE the picture).

We also received a Hungarian puzzle box from my cousin and her bf who had traveled to Hungary last January.  That is pretty cool.

The rice wine set sounds awesome.  And chopsticks are great!
  • edited December 2011
    We got veyr few actual gifts since we had to travel and so did almost all of our guests, but a nice surprise gift was a bottle of Patron - DH and I are both tequila drinkers :)

Vacation

• missizzmissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kim- are you not allowed to put holes in your wall?  I don't understand why being in an apartment would keep you from hanging something that you love.  We hung up tons and tons of artwork in our apartment when we lived in one.  We don't own our duplex but still hang all of our important stuff on the walls.  Life's too short not to enjoy the things that mean something to you!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not married but can I chime in with a unique gift?

DF got me a fox this Thanksgiving as my wedding present(offensive to some I know, but I'm from a very rural area and we eat all of our game).  It's going to a year before we get it back, but it's gorgeous.  I can't wait to have it in our living room.
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_married-ladies-gift-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:05074f9d-0923-48ab-89dc-29bee338484bPost:51886de2-8b66-4388-9b42-e2be3dc4a9d6">Re: Married ladies: Gift Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kim- are you not allowed to put holes in your wall?  I don't understand why being in an apartment would keep you from hanging something that you love.  We hung up tons and tons of artwork in our apartment when we lived in one.  We don't own our duplex but still hang all of our important stuff on the walls.  Life's too short not to enjoy the things that mean something to you!
    Posted by missizz[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure technically, but we try to hang things with the Command products. This clock is rather heavy, and I just don't trust hanging it now.
  • EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got a basket of candles with a gorgeous poem. There were ones to burn to celebrate on our wedding night, after our first fight, for our first dinner guests, valentines day, work  promotions, first anniversary, birth of first child, 5th anniversary, and 25th anniversary....I think that's all of them. That was the one gift that made me cry. :)

The poem is at this web site: : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070522100159AAyCl0k
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_married-ladies-gift-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:05074f9d-0923-48ab-89dc-29bee338484bPost:c61dade4-1285-45cb-a345-57cc7b74eea3">Re: Married ladies: Gift Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got a basket of candles with a gorgeous poem. There were ones to burn to celebrate on our wedding night, after our first fight, for our first dinner guests, valentines day, work  promotions, first anniversary, birth of first child, 5th anniversary, and 25th anniversary....I think that's all of them. That was the one gift that made me cry. :) The poem is at this web site: : <a href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070522100159AAyCl0k" rel="nofollow">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070522100159AAyCl0k</a>
    Posted by EmilyBerdell[/QUOTE]

This was so beautiful, I think I am going to give this gift to my best friend as her wedding gift! 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_married-ladies-gift-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:05074f9d-0923-48ab-89dc-29bee338484bPost:cdde62f0-8e0c-499a-b521-ac8ea7be2f3f">Re: Married ladies: Gift Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married ladies: Gift Question : This was so beautiful, I think I am going to give this gift to my best friend as her wedding gift! 
    Posted by brivb10[/QUOTE]

It was really the most touching gift! She'll love it! :)
  • edited December 2011
    We recieved gold shiny satin sheets with a note attached that read "For baby making"...no joke. It was from my best friend/MOH's parents. Awkward :p

One of my favorite/unique gifts was an album with a real silver cover. The front is inscribed with "The LASTNAME family" and it has room to fill with pictures of our family over the years. Its a beautiful album, and much better than traditional wedding frame gifts. An old family friend also wrapped up a bunch of pictures of me and my mom that my mom had sent her 20+ years ago in cards and letters. My mom passed away years ago so that was so special to me.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_married-ladies-gift-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:05074f9d-0923-48ab-89dc-29bee338484bPost:c61dade4-1285-45cb-a345-57cc7b74eea3">Re: Married ladies: Gift Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got a basket of candles with a gorgeous poem. There were ones to burn to celebrate on our wedding night, after our first fight, for our first dinner guests, valentines day, work  promotions, first anniversary, birth of first child, 5th anniversary, and 25th anniversary....I think that's all of them. That was the one gift that made me cry. :) The poem is at this web site: : <a href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070522100159AAyCl0k" rel="nofollow">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070522100159AAyCl0k</a>
    Posted by EmilyBerdell[/QUOTE]

I received a very similar gift for my bridal shower, except with wine instead of candles. There were 20 bottles of wine in a huge basket, each marked with a label of when to drink them. Same types of events...his birthday, my birthday, dog's birthday, first christmas, first valentine's day, girls night in, first baby, etc....I loved it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards