New York-Hudson Valley

Just Engaged and Stressing Over Venues!!

Hey ladies (and gents if you're on here),

So as of tomorrow, friday, I will ahve been engaged for two weeks!  Aaaaahhhhh!  I still can't believe it happened and it's completely surreal! At the same time, I know I want to get married next year and am already stressing out about venues. 

I live in Westchester County, NY which if you know the area you know it's expensive!!  I'm trying to figure out reception venues that will be all inclusive in the sense that we can have accomodations for guests so no drinking and driving occurs and this way we can continue partying with an after party once the reception ends....  I'm also trying to budget because I think it's ridiculous to spend crazy amounts of money (unless you have that money to spend freely) on a one day event! 

Suggestions... advice... thoughts?!?!?
-Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just Engaged and Stressing Over Venues!!

• edited December 2011
    You can try a hotel like Crowne Plaza, Renaissance Westchester Hotel, Radisson in New Rochelle. That way everything is right on site.

I personally think the Renaissance is the most gorgeous of the three.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lawyer707lawyer707 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sometimes hotels are very expensive versus other sites... not sure if you are open to it, but another option would be to rent a bus to and from the hotel. We stayed in a hotel in Westchester and had our reception in Rockland. It ended up costing a lot less for the bus (which made 2 trips for the cost of 1) than having it at a hotel.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • vienna1121vienna1121 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    doubletree hotel in tarrytown!
  • katiefinn03katiefinn03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having mine at the Doubletree in Tarrytown and they were the nicest and best priced.  I also recommend looking at the Westchester Renaissance and if you are having a wedding under 200 the Mt. Kisco Holiday Inn
  • steveandtasteveandta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure if Dutchess county is too far away but in Hopewell junction there is a venue named Arbor Ridge. they have a hotel next store and your bridal suite is included. also they have an outdoor garden for an outdoor ceremony and also a beautiful outdoor fireplace. also they have a new private bar that they will open up and do a cash bar after the reception.they have an all inclusive package that includes centerpeices, dj and photography for 102 pp.

It was a tough choice but we chose the Villa Borghese in Wappingers falls bc my fiancee liked it better.
    Photobucket invite1
  • edited December 2011
    I'm from Lower Westchester and now live in Putnam County.  I went to a few of the "regular" weding venues in New Rochelle, etc. and yes, they are expensive.  We decided on Anthony's Pier 9 in New Windsor.  It's a troop, yes, but it's beautiful, the price is right and they have their own trolley to take you back and forth to the hotel which is 12 minutes away.  The hotel also gives you 5 rooms at no charge the night of the wedding.  Good Luck!
  • panayottapanayotta member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I live in Ny but my fiance and I are both from NY so are planning to marry there in September 2012. We are looking in westchester/ rockland county. So far from asking around here are the names ive gotten:
    mansion at calonial terrace
    cortlandt manor
    casa mia manor house
    westchester manor
    westchester marriot
    the regency ballroom at comfort inn, nanuet
    renaissance hotel
    mamaroneck beach and yacht
    the riverview
    green tree country club
    royal regency
    hope this helps!
  • cusi229cusi229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    some ways to save money in westchester county are to have it on a Friday night and move it out of "wedding season" which is from May-September.  If you move it just out of those months, your price tends to drop down as much as 100 a head! and if you move it from a sat to a friday night it's even more.  that's what I did.  I always used to think I wanted a July wedding and when I saw the difference in price my mind changed haha!  My date is now in April and I'm happy with everything.  My guests will be staying at the Crowne Plaza and they run a shuttle from there to where your reception is, so guests don't have to drive. 
  • PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Steveanta - Thank you so much for the detailed description of that place!  I'm definitely going to look into it!

Chrissyb - Thanks for the suggestion of Anthony's Pier 9 - not a trek at all... i'm looking at a place in poughkeepsie because it looks like it'll be cheaper and more amenities included!  I want a pretty place with flexibility and accommodations!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... so far I've seen the doubletree and they just don't provide as much as other places for the same prices.  I'll be seeing a few others this week so I'll report back! 
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I agree With PaoPao820, double tree isnt willing to work with you. I too will be in NY this weekend visiting places. Has anyone been to a wedding at Cortllandt Calonial in Cortlandt Manor? I would love to hear opinions of the place.
  • carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_just-engaged-stressing-over-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:6017ddd9-32af-4c07-b68f-bd314142bfc1Post:07a21dbc-5285-46dd-a050-f891af61540f">Re: Just Engaged and Stressing Over Venues!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]sometimes hotels are very expensive versus other sites... not sure if you are open to it, but another option would be to rent a bus to and from the hotel. We stayed in a hotel in Westchester and had our reception in Rockland. It ended up costing a lot less for the bus (which made 2 trips for the cost of 1) than having it at a hotel.
    Posted by lawyer707[/QUOTE]

I agree with this post , i wouldnt limit my choices worring about the driving aspect , you always have the option of the shuttle bus . Good Luck !!
  • edited December 2011
    hi!  I'm 10 days engaged!  And just CURIOUS about approximately how much an upstate wedding is per head.  Both low season and high season.  Is it about $200 a head?  Or $500 a head!??  I'm worried I'll call somewhere and get 'shamed' if I can't afford it :(
    Thanks!
    edited December 2011
    HOw far upstate are you talking? So far in my research Ive talked to venues in Astoria, Queens to Rockland county. Prices range from $55- $195 and up.
  • clairedepauwclairedepauw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there! I just created a website with a comprehensive list of wedding locations by location, style, and name. http://www.hudsonvalleyweddingfever.com/

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    I had the same issue with wanting a hotel, esp because a lot of my guests are out of towners... so we picked Thayer Hotel at West Point and so far we're really happy with the process and the way they can customize everything... it's a little far from Westchester but not too bad!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • check out the feast at round hill, its in washingtonville, ny, very easy to get to, two hotels right next to stewart airport and they both have shuttles. Stay away from Arbor ridge, hotel rooms are disgusting!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_just-engaged-stressing-over-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:6017ddd9-32af-4c07-b68f-bd314142bfc1Post:11f8df0d-8801-4644-a058-7e6bcd70f0e8">Re: Just Engaged and Stressing Over Venues!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Steveanta - Thank you so much for the detailed description of that place!  I'm definitely going to look into it! Chrissyb - Thanks for the suggestion of Anthony's Pier 9 - not a trek at all... i'm looking at a place in poughkeepsie because it looks like it'll be cheaper and more amenities included!  I want a pretty place with flexibility and accommodations! Thanks everyone for the suggestions... so far I've seen the doubletree and they just don't provide as much as other places for the same prices.  I'll be seeing a few others this week so I'll report back! 
    Posted by PaoPao820[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards