Maine

BBQ Catering

Has anyone ever been to wedding/party/etc where a BBQ company catered?  Any reviews/recommendations?? 

I am struggling with this whole food thing.

Re: BBQ Catering

• edited December 2011

Where is your wedding going to be?  My caterer in Bethel (the good food store) also does BBQ and their food is very good.  They also have a lot of different options and are very affordable.  What are you struggling with?  What to serve or the cost?

Married 9.4.11
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be in Wells at a private residence on the beach.  Cost I have come to terms with, within reason :)   FI has told me that food is important so make sure go with someone who is known to be good. 

Since we're aiming for a very very casual event, we thought BBQ would be good. 
    I've emailed a few places but didn't know if anyone knew of any 'to-die-for' BBQ.

Always open to anyone's alternative food suggestions too!
  • edited December 2011
    What about a clam bake?  Can be very nice but still a casual aspect to it, and you can do chicken/steak with it as well for non-seafood eaters.  That would be my suggestion.  Great for coastal Maine!
    Married 9.4.11
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would you need people to be there to serve the food? 

Beale Street BBQ in South Portland caters...under 75 people they do "bulk take out" with the proper dishes for heating.  Over 150 they come to you.  I'm guessing if it's casual you won't have 150+. 

They are one of my favorite restaurants!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Beale's Street Barbecue. I lived in Kansas City for a year, I know what "to-die-for" barbeque is, and Beale's come close :D

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buck's Naked will do catering for over 100 people, they charge $15 an hour for someone to serve it.  You can also have them deliver it (if it's over 100 people) without a catering staff.  Less than 100 people and you'll need to pick it up or work something out with them.  I think their prices are reasonable, and the food is SOOO GOOOD.  If you have a chance, try their location in Windham for a "test run." 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mmm i seccond bucks naked!! sooo good!!

and btw i wish i was coming to your wedding i love bbq and would take it any day over 'regular wedding food' even in a fancy dress.
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks gals!!!  I have been to Buck's as we live near Freeport, and it is definitley yummy.  I hadn't even thought about catering from there.  I have never been to Beale's.  I will have to investigate both.  My SIL (to be) actually did pulled pork and BBQ stuff for their wedding a couple years ago; I hate to copy, but whatever.  Good food is good food right??

We will be small, 40ish people, so I won't qualify for it to be catered on site but with such a small group I assume we can make it work.
  • edited December 2011
    I also know that Black Tie Catering has bbq options.  We talked with our contact about potentially doing the RD at a house and having them drop off food for it.  It seemed a little over priced but I don't know what the others charge so maybe not.  Everything seems over priced to me! Definitely worth checking out though!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Since you'll be in Wells, you could contact MoJo's in Portsmouth NH.  They have really great BBQ and they've done a couple of events I've been to.  I think they're pretty reasonable for pricing too.  There is also a BBQ company out of York called Pigout which was reccomended to me for our rehearsal dinner.  The menu posted isn't extensive but it wouldn't hurt to call.  http://pigoutyork.com/index.htm

If you went with a clambake, Foster's Clambake out of York does come to you.  My sister's RD was with them and it was amazing! 

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sararos86sararos86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    New England Brisketeers is awesome! They're based out of Pownal but travel all over. They're catering my wedding in Scarborough. They even have a traveling smokehouse if you wanted them to cook on location. Their rates are really reasonable too.

Good luck with the search!
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You guys have all been awesomely helpful!

I will be checking out Buck's; NE Brisketeers; and Beale St.  With Buck's and Beale St I will have to figure out how to keep things warm and/or if we need to hire someone to serve (and where to find said person).   NE brisketeers seems like they would do the work for me, however its EXACTLY the same as SIL's wedding food, not just BBQ but pulled BBQ sandwiches and potato salad.

Thanks again!  Off to research and hopefully make a decision.
    Amy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards