Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Advice---Venue changed Coordinators!

Ok, I know the title of this post does not look too serious but let me explain a little. I booked my venue in October as it was already filling up for 2012 (my wedding is oct 2012). I LOVED our coordinator as he had a ton of years of wedding experience and really understood our wedding vision.

On sunday I got a call from someone new saying our coordinator was no longer at our venue and she would be taking over! I have not heard the best of things about her.

Help me not to freak out. What would you do? Am I making too big a deal out of this?

TIA

Re: Advice---Venue changed Coordinators!

• cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How could you have heard bad things about the new coordinator if they just started working?
  • carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Something like this is always a possibility. Employees come and go. How do you know that the new coordinator won't share your vision? Further, it isn't really up to them to share or not share your vision-you're paying them to do what you want.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_advice-venue-changed-coordinators?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c041a3b6-bed5-448f-a1bc-a4de6de7ac55Post:716796c0-7081-4e51-8a6e-a36481fb3ee1">Re: Advice---Venue changed Coordinators!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Something like this is always a possibility. Employees come and go. How do you know that the new coordinator won't share your vision? Further, it isn't really up to them to share or not share your vision-you're paying them to do what you want.
    Posted by carcrashheart[/QUOTE]

This. They wouldn't have put her in the position if she wasn't competent.

I'm on my third coordinator at my church. A Knottie I know IRL went through two as well. She had a fantastic wedding and I'm sure you will too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MrsDydekMrsDydek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do understand what you mean. I'm not sure about booking this one place because of the coordinator there. It sounds silly but she won't let me turn the upper lights off and just have the candelabra on the wall on during dinner. She says it will be too dark (it wouldn't be unless you were partly blind) for my guest to get dinner. I told her I was having a sit down, she still said the waiters might trip or something if it was that dark. Did I mention that hall holds 400 and I'm only having 80? I want lots of room between the tables, and with that much room I really don't see people "bumping into each other." 

That being said I feel your pain. When it comes to coordinators, you may be paying them to do what you want, but sometimes they will still try to convince you that what you want is wrong if they think it is, and they are the ones that have the power to change things. They are the ones setting things up.

Right now my game plan is to not take any crap. I have a friend that works for the caterer that knows her very well and apparently she really likes my friend so I'm going to have her talk to her. But If she still puts the lights on, I or someone else will turn them off. Right now I'm looking for a place that will give me more freedom than that venue (they also want let us put up any decor on the ceilings of walls), but if I can't find one in my price point, I will be prepared to fight for what I want.

So my advice to you, since you are already booked, is to not take any crap, if you are not the type of person that can assert yourself well (with out turning into a bridezilla) ask someone else who can be assertive with out losing their temper to be with you every time you meet with her and stand up for what you want. 

As others said, give her a chance first, it really doesn't matter if she agrees with you or not, it is whether she is the type that will  make sure that everything looks the way you want, or the type that will make sure that everything looks the way she wants. 
  • smcvay20smcvay20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue has changed coordinators twice already since we've booked! I was freaking out as well, but we finally met the newest one last weekend and she seems great. We have our tasting with her this weekend, so I will find out how she really is then..

Do you mind me asking what venue you are using?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards