North Carolina-Outer Banks

"Mainland" caterers?

Hi there.  I was on TK when I got married several years ago (in Boston) but my brother is getting married in OBX in October and my mom and I are planning the rehearsal dinner.  It is going to be at Jeanette's Pier but we are still looking for caterers.  I've read that it can be a lot better value to hire a "mainland" caterer rather than one based on OBX. Does anyone have experience with that?  Would Elizabeth City be the closest place to look for one?

Alternatively, does anyone have any EXCELLENT full-service caterers you can recommend?  We don't want anything too fancy (trying to keep the vibe casual) but we do want a caterer that comes very highly recommended since we don't live in NC to try any of these places out beforehand.

Thanks!

Re: "Mainland" caterers?

• I'm not certain about mainland caterers - I know there are a some girls here though who have used a few.  However I can provide one recommendation for OBX catering, and that's Kelly's.  We used Kelly's for our reception, and I highly recommend them - one of my favorite vendors for sure.  Excellent food and impeccable service and ultimately very reasonable - especially if you need to rent anything because they include it all (linens, glassware, silverware, plates, etc.) when most others do not.  They've been around for decades and are very easy to work with.  People raved about the food at our reception - the crab cakes are to die for!  Good luck in whatever you and your family choose!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Hi Jane- I'm not sure about using a caterer from the "Main Land", I would think though that any savings you might get in their fees would be used for travel charges coming into the Outer Banks. My suggestion would be Coastal Provisions. They are fantastic to work with, and their food is delicious!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know what type of food you are looking for, but we used High Cotton BBQ.  It was very laid back, and they were awesome, and also able to provide a bar tender as well.  I didn't use a main land cateterer, but high cotton was definitly very affordable.  
  • I only have an OBX recommendation. For my daughter's wedding the caterer was Good Life Gourmet. Steve Mace the owner is fabulous to work with, very thorough, delicious food, easy to work with and accommodating! The food at the wedding was perfect and plentiful!
  • We are using Montero's from Elizabeth City for our wedding reception at the pier.  Price per person was cheaper than anywhere we found on the beach and they are NOT charging a delivery fee! 
  • I am using Doris Riggs Catering from Rocky Mount, NC. It is a little far away, but we met her when we first visited the Budleigh and she was doing a wedding there. Her prices are incredible. It is just her and her daughters and they do very southern style food. Her reviews were good. Her number is 252-459-8877. As far as travel, she is charging .50 cents a mile which doesn't bother me much. She also has all of her own china, glassware, and provides servers.
  • Sorry for the late response ladies.  This has been very helpful!

Kelly's, Coastal Provisions and High Cotton were all OBX caterers we have been considering. We like the idea of the BBQ b/c we do want to go for a laidback casual vibe for the RD.

And I had looked at Montero's from Elizabeth City as well. It's good to hear that you're using them abrickhouse; that might be a great way to go! Since the fee for JP is a bit pricy for a RD, it would be really nice to save some $$ on the catering. Have you heard of positive reviews on Montero's from others?

I'll also take a look at Dorris Riggs, thanks for the recc! My brother's reception is at Budleigh, too :-)
  • Great choice!  Our reception was at the Budleigh too... it's incredible!
    image June 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards