Wedding Party
Options

How many people went wedding dress shopping with you?

Totally random question. I had a somewhat atypical situation since I live in Chile, so people from home obviously couldn't come, but even if I'd been in CA I would have gone with my godmother and the 2 BMs who live in SF if they could all make it (my mom and grandmothers are no longer living, otherwise I would have gone with them rather than the other people).

I don't get brides who think BMs MUST go dress shopping because I personally wouldn't have wanted a huge entourage.

So, what was the max number of people you took on any one trip? Ex: if you went twice and took 2 people the first time and 3 the second, you'd say 3, not 5.

Re: How many people went wedding dress shopping with you?

• Options
    I took one trip and only brought my mom.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I went once to browse with a friend and once with my mother. I don't think alot of people should be there, only the closest, maybe mother or sister..
  • Options
    My mom and I are going Tuesday Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wanted to go with my mom and that's it. But SIL was in town visiting and she came, too. It was actually a really fun time, and it didn't take long at all. It was, "Try this on...okay...this one? Meh. Now this one...love it!" We laughed a lot and they were really helpful with their opinions.

I think if you start adding too many people, it just gets overwhelming and ridiculous.  I can't imagine going with more than 2 or 3 other people.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I said 3, but that was just to confirm my dress choice and make my sister happy because she was disappointed she didn't get to go dress shopping with me.  One of my BMs had been over the day we were going and decided she wanted to go with us.

When I was actually trying on multiple dresses to choose a dress, I went with one person on one shopping trip to 2 stores.
  • Options
    I went twice.

The first time I took 2 people - good friends, but not BMs.

The second time I took  two different friends with me - they were BMs  and that was pretty much my "I'm trying to decide between the final 3 contenders and one of them will be my dress" trip.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    The few times I've gone, mostly just to get ideas, was with my MOH, my FI and my daughter...my son could technically be included too, since I was expecting him ;)

Next time I go will probably be with my BFF who is one of my BM, because hopefully by the time I get to go back her man will have popped the question to her! I'm so excited for the possibility of planning both weddings!!!
  • Options
    Just my mom.  My BMs are apread out all over the world, so going with them wasn't really an option.  It definitely worked out best this way.
  • Options
    My mom and I took an unexpected stop at a dress shop one afternoon. I found two dresses that I liked but I wanted to take some time and come back to them to see what my initial reaction was after the glam of trying on wedding dresses wore off.  I brought my mom, FMIL, and grandma with me the next time and bought my dress.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ok, so where are the people who demanded that all BMs and female relatives tag along? Because I'm sure I've seen "she didn't come dress shopping with me" cited as a reason for kicking someone out.
  • Options

Those girls are the evil bridezillas. Don't you know that they don't come out until the sun sets.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I went once with my mom.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_many-people-went-wedding-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:4dfba832-34d1-4624-b5b1-d6dc97983309Post:579d4e0b-28f8-4ea0-a0dc-c757a1d82a1d">Re: How many people went wedding dress shopping with you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, so where are the people who demanded that all BMs and female relatives tag along? Because I'm sure I've seen "she didn't come dress shopping with me" cited as a reason for kicking someone out.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

Probably too busy demanding that their families and friends bend to their every whim when it comes to their pretty, pretty princess day to post on a message board filled with bitter old hags.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took my mom, my FMIL, and my sister.  ANd that was perfect.  Oh, and my gay best friend showed up at the end to help make a final decision.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I went with my mom and my 3 BM.  However, sll 3 of my BM were there as they were picking BM dresses at the same time that i was picking my dress.  We picked out all 4 dresses in the same evening.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My mother was the only one who went dress shopping with me.  When I picked my dress, I invited my dad along too so he could see it.

No one else saw my dress until my wedding day, bridal party included.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I went once with my mom and FMIL and the second time with my mom and BM/FSIL.

For my fittings, my mom and MOH came along.  

It was easier with fewer people!  Bridal shops are not that big to begin with, even before you put on a gown!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I took my MOH and another bridesmaid (since all of my female relatives are OOT).  When I went to the shop to pick the dress up and close out my layaway, MOH, her husband, and my videographer came along.  The videographer's a good friend and she offered to get some extra footage for me.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I went by myself to look at dresses and take down style numbers of the ones I wanted to try on, then went with my mom and MOH once to try on and buy our dresses. I'd promised them both that we would do it together, it was important to them.

For the fittings MOH and I did them together. It was a chance for us to hang out since we rarely get to see each other, as we aren't in the same area.
  • Options
    Just my mom and I.  I flew across the country so she could go with me - it was very special to her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went once with 2 co-workers and once with my mom.  None of my WP is local so that really wasn't an option.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I went with my Mom, Dad, and Sister (also my MOH, but that's not why she came).
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    Too many!  The first time I went I had my mom, by FMIL, my MOH and 2 bridesmaids (sister and FSIL).  It was very stressful and I felt like i was on parade. I thought I had decided on one when I was with everyone, but for fun I went to look with only my sister and found THE DRESS. 

Too many people=too many opionions.  It's hard to remember what YOU want when all these people are throwing their own ideas at you.
  • Options
    I went alone the 1st time and then I went with one BM, Mom, Grandma, & brother plus 4 friends via Pic Text and phone calls. But in the end we got the dress that I liked the 1st time by myself, even if my brother had me try on ever dress in the store in my size.
  • Options
    I went by myself.  None of my bridesmaids or family live near me.
  • Options
    I bought my dress the first day and just went with my mom.

• Options
    My MOH went with me on the first trip...but I went again by myself and that's when I found my dress. The next day my dad came to the store with me just to confirm that he liked it too and to pay for it. I probably would've taken my mom if she were still alive.

I've never liked to shop with other people...I didn't even want the sales people at the dress store to come in the room, but they were needed to tie up my dress.
  • Options
    I'm going this month, and I know for sure my mom and grandma will go, and possibly one, if not both, of my MsOH.  I voted 3-4, but I'll definitely have 2, and maybe 3-4. 
  • Options
    I brought a coworker who also acted as a translator.  Aside from her, a roommate who knew the area where we were shopping and my MOH also came along.  But all this happened in China.
  • Options
    I took only one: my mom.  She lives 4.5 hours away from me, so I went alone to the first appointment, just to see what looks good on me.  For the second appointment, I brought her, and we found the dress!  If my sister lived closer, I would have brought her too because she has good taste.
    After watching so many episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress," I know not to bring a large crowd.  Too many opinions can be very confusing.  Only bring who you really, really trust when it comes to fashion and what looks good on you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards