Rhode Island
Options

Newport Date/Weather Advice

Hi ladies!  We have FINALLY narrowed it down to 2 venues (Regatta Place and Castle Hill) and we have 2 potential date choices at each place.  One is mid-June and the other is mid-July.  I thought I wanted June but I've been hearing there's a much bigger chance of rain and we would likely have to roll some or all of the tent sides down in June because it gets cooler at night.  I'm guessing it would be chillier at Regatta Place since it's so close to the water.  Thoughts/advice??  TIA!

Re: Newport Date/Weather Advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I mean obviously you never know....BUT, July is typically the driest month of the year in RI. 

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/airquality/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USRI0040
  • Options
    shogan14shogan14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would def choose July. Newport is at least 10-15 degrees cooler at night in the summer than say Providence. I know someone who had a late June wedding at Ocean Clift and people stayed inside most of the night becuase of the chill coming off the water.
    PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    BellaBride29BellaBride29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Growig up in New England, I definitely understand how unredictable the weather can be.  I've never been to a Newport wedding close to the water so I wasn't sure how cool it gets at night or if there's a big difference b/w June and July.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Those were my two choices too!  I'm guessing you really wanted a tented wedding like me.  I went with the Regatta so that my budget would be more flexible because Castle Hill is much more expensive.  I also went with the Regatta because Goat Island will be much easier for guests to get to on a busy summer weekend in Newport.  I would go with July too.  Good luck with your choice, you can't go wrong with either venue!
  • Options
    lizr7313lizr7313 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Castle hill is significantly cooler than where we live in Newport (a few blocks from 1st  beach) even during the summer.  I would say it feels about 10 degrees cooler because of the breeze.  I haven't been at Regatta Place during the summer but you can count on Castle Hill being cooler because it's on an unprotected point.  If you go with Castle Hill I would pick July.
  • Options
    MrkyrainMrkyrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone, July is a better choice.  Having said that, I was married last July 31st at Regatta Place and it poured.  You just never know about the weather but the good news is that the wedding was still beautiful.   They know how to work with the rain there.  Our guests had a great time and no one got wet under the tent.  GL
  • Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How is the humidity in July compared to June? I know if you choose Regatta, you'd benefit being closer to the water. I know this is unrelated to the weather but did you have to choose their in house caterer?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that at both venues you have to use their caterer but both seem to have wonderful food and a good selection to choose from.
  • Options
    MrkyrainMrkyrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes.  It's the same owner and caterer as Ocean Cliff.  The food is awesome.
  • Options
    Emily1224Emily1224 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having our wedding at the Regatta at the end of September and of course are worried about it being too chilly or rainy (hurrican season!)  the one comforting fact about Regatta is that even if it rains, you are still under a tent, on the dock so you still get the feeling of being outdoors.  They also have heaters (for no additional cost) that they put in the reception tent. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards