Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How many Hors D' Oeuvres?

Hello ladies, I'm trying to figure out how many hors d' oeuvres to order. I will have approximately 125 guests. It seems the catering service I'm looking into (haven't called them yet) prices the hors d'oeurves for 50 pieces. Do you think 100 pieces of 3 different entrees would be enough for 125 guests?

I'm looking at getting:
1. Spinach pesto mushroom caps
2. Bruschetta with toast points
3. Glazed chicken skewers

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: How many Hors D' Oeuvres?

• SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this for cocktail hour? 3-4 is enough per person if you're having a full dinner afterwards.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks. The thing is, we're not doing a full dinner afterwards. My cocktail/reception starts around 3pm. We're probably doing a pasta station with salad and garlic bread and a dessert table. Hopefully that will be enough.

Another question... if I'm having a dry reception (budgeting reasons), what kind of inexpensive drinks can I serve during "cocktail" hour?
    Anniversary
  • lmg1115lmg1115 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not doing a full meal I'd push for closer to 4-5 pieces per person.

As for fun drinks for the cocktail hour... can they make a fun beverage with sparkling water? Some sort of juice and sparkling water "mocktail" maybe?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas! I never thought of a "mockail." Very cool! That just got my creative juices flowing :)
    Anniversary
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No.  Each guest will typically want 5 to 6 pieces and will typically want to try each variety (unless it happens to be something they absolutely don't like).  So with 750 pieces (6*125) you would want 250 pieces of each of your 3 selections.  

For drinks, I also would suggest a mocktail that fits the season.  Spiced cider for fall, Berry lemonade or Arnold Palmer for summer
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice!

So, you don't think 5-6 pieces per person would fill the guests up too much considering afterwards I'll have a pasta station with salad, meatballs, and garlic bread? We're also having a dessert station with cookies, cupcakes, wedding cake, mints, and truffles. We might also have a chocolate fountain with fruit.

Anniversary
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think 5-6 pieces is too much. Pasta, meatballs, garlic bread and salad seems like a full meal to me. If I was a guest and knew you were serving dinner I probably wouldn't eat 5-6 hors d'oeuvres because I wouldn't want to fill up. I have a feeling you would have a lot left over if you serve that many.
  • edited December 2011
    I used to plan weddings for a high end hotel chain, and we recommended 3 pieces per person if the hors d'oeuvres are butler passed, or 5-6 pieces per person if the items are on a buffet.  People naturally take more hors d'oeuvres when they are on a buffet, and fewer if they are passed by servers, so you may want to consider having the items passed if you're trying to save money.  Also, if you're having your wedding later in the evening and guest will be very hungry when they get to cocktail hour, count on offering more hors d'oeuvres.
  • tesskerrtesskerr member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would probably eat 3, my FI would probably eat 10. I think at least 1 of each, maybe double up on 1, say filo first, then bruschette, then chicken, then finish with another round of filo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards