Moms and Maids

Wedding Dress Shopping with the future In-law

I have a very outspoken and opinionated future mother-in-law. I have found the dress of my dreams and will be taking her and my future sister-in-law to check it out. I have shown her a picture and she has already decided she hates it. How should I deal with it?

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping with the future In-law

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rescind the offer of accompanying you?

Seriously, go in remembering this:  you can't control what someone else says/does.  You can only control how you respond to them.

When she says "I hate the dress" you can respond in a couple of ways:

#1:  "Isn't a good thing that there are so many styles of dresses so that you wouldn't have to wear a style that I love, and I wouldn't have to wear a style that you love?"

#2:  "I'm sorry to hear that you don't care for it.  But I do, and this is my dress.  I'm sure that <insert her son's name /> will love me in it."

Just one more point:  have you actually tried on the dress yet?  You might just change your mind when you do.  My DD knew EXACTLY what dress she wanted.  Until she tried on another and adored it and bought it.

If you haven't actually tried on this dress yet, keep an open mind.  It might be the dress for you, but it might not.

Good luck
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Exactly what Trix said.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • dcbowmandcbowman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She might hate it in the picture - but love it on you! Give her the benefit of the doubt - but have a back up line just incase she is snippy!! Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What Trix said!!!  Trix knows all...
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards