Virginia-Richmond

cakes by graham - as good as they say?

I am making an appointment with Cakes by Graham. Can anyone vouch for them? Or have suggestions for other bakeries in the area? I am looking for a simple, three tiered, round cake for my wedding in Richmond.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: cakes by graham - as good as they say?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia-richmond_cakes-by-graham-as-good-as-they-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:607Discussion:2b7afc97-436f-4c32-b841-81ef79a51be4Post:15831060-789b-493b-8628-f9dc931b480b">cakes by graham - as good as they say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am making an appointment with Cakes by Graham. Can anyone vouch for them? Or have suggestions for other bakeries in the area? I am looking for a simple, three tiered, round cake for my wedding in Richmond.
    Posted by casswhiting[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Graham was so rude when I had an appointment, and my friend found the same. He kept trying to push fondant, I did not want fondant. He kept telling me I had never had his, um, Ive been to about 15 weddings, and I know what I want. I also was annoyed because he didn't seem to listen to what I as asking for. I went with A Cake to Remember,and it was easy and delicious and went over really well!</div>
  • I think their cake is dry and so not worth the price.  You should try The Mixing Bowl on Three Chopt Rd.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    133 Invited image 92 Are ready to celebrate! image 24 Are missing out image 17 Can't find the mailbox. image
  • We are going with A Cake To Remember. Her cakes were delicious and her attention to detail is amazing. One thing that I liked about her was that she does everything from the baking, to the decorating, to the delivering. This way, I know what I'm going to get will be nothing less than great.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have heard bad things about cakes by graham recently from customers as well as venues.  I talked to one catering company who said when they were cutting the cake it was frozen in the middle still and were embarassed to serve to the guests because they might think the catering company made it.

try shyndigz.  They did our wedding cake and it was beautiful and delicious.  they have a really cute cake cafe you can go in on the weekends and try all their delicious cakes and desserts!

http://www.shyndigz.com/

• Cake is SERIOUSLY important to my FI and I. We actually want twice the size of the cake needed for our guests- because WE want cake left over! We had a budget of between 1,000-1,500 for our cake. He came in SERIOUSLY under budget. And he was the ONLY vendor that came in under for anything! I think he's pricing was super reasonable for wedding cake. Compared to Kroger cake, yeah he's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

His cake is AMAZING. We went to our sample tasting and my FI and I ended up fighting in the car over who got to lick the wrappers- it was THAT good.

I also went to A Cake To Remember. She was super friendly and FUN to talk to. She's so excited about making cakes! Sadly, we only got four samples when we went to try her cake (Graham gave us a whole box of various samples, two for each favor for both of us). Her sample cake wasn't bad- but it wasn't dense either. It crumbled and fell apart- it wasn't dry or anything, it just didn't hold together well. And the flavor of the cake was okay. It just wasn't amazing, it was just ok. I really loved her personality and wished I loved her cake flavor as much as her.

Having sampled both cakes Graham's takes the cake! lol. I think he is a little senstive to people telling him he is over priced. But I think a lot of people are cutting wedding cake out of the budget or going with store bought cupcakes now a days. Unfortunately people don't have a lot of money with the way the job market has been.

But seriously Graham's cake is so good it makes all the wedding hazzle WORTH IT. At least go sample his cake- that's free and it will be an experience you will talk about for ages. OMG.
  • His cakes do taste wonderful, i sampled at the bridal expo in january.  he was over my budget so i went with pam albney with over the top weddings.  she also does flowers, etc.  She has been wonderful to work w/ and even comes to your house for tasting free of charge. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards