Arizona-Phoenix

Dress coordination?

Hello everyone!

I went dress shopping for the first time today to figure out what I liked. I am planning on wearing a very formal, big, poofy, princessy ball gown. I know it’s not everyone’s style, but I love it! I was planning on having my bridesmaids wear shorter dresses (just below the knee). I have worn floor-length bridesmaid dresses and felt so uncomfortable. I think my girls will like shorter dresses, but I’m worried that it will look weird and it won’t flow. My girls all say that they’ll wear whatever I want, but I want them to feel good about the way they look. Am I crazy? What do you girls think?

FYI: I’m planning on having the girls in pewter/charcoal dresses.

Re: Dress coordination?

• NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO, long BM dresses are out, especially in Arizona.  I think the material matters more than the length of the dress (no cotton).  Unless your guests are expected to be in full length dresses, I don't think it will look weird.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
     I wuold have to disagree with PP on this, If its a formal wedding, which I am guessing it is because of your dress choice, I would think they should wear floor length dresses. 

I had a semi formal-formal wedding...Guys wore tuxes, the girls wore floor length dresses, my dress wasnt a ball gown per se, but had a 5 foot train.

I had 9 BM's, Igave them 5-6 style of dresses to choose from (all long) that way they could pick the cut that was right for them. Or wedding was in Nov, so it was cooler at nights and a long dress was way more appropriate then short.
  • applemarieapplemarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say long BM dresses too...since your dress sounds so formal and traditional. I opt for my girls not to go long because my dress was not as formal...so they are wearing knee length dresses..and I lkike it because it actually go with the semiformal feel that I want..
    You can go to davidsbridal.com and there is a cute program that you can play around with coordinating your dress and the BMs.  Even if you aren't getting your dresses there...you can still choose dresses similiar to get an idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think this is really your call.  I am having a fairly formal wedding, men in tuxes, but my bridesmaids are in t-lengeth dresses.  I left it up to them because I think that t-lengeth can be formal too, as long as it is nice material, which ours our. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with long.  I also agree with AgentMystery, the second response to your question.  Long dresses are not out of style no matter where you live.  It is more of a question about what feel your want your wedding to have.  If it is an outdoor afternoon wedding, then you may want to opt for shorter dresses.  But, if you are having a more formal dress and getting married in a church, then longer dresses may be more appropriate.   Also, if you are having a fall or winter wedding, or a afternoon/evening (4 or 5pm) ceremony, then a longer dress may fit the time/season better.  Lots of things to thing about...  I would really picture what you want your wedding to look like.
    11/6/2010
    Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Applemarie,
    Is the David's Bridal program you're talking about "dress my wedding"? I can't seem to figure it out, but it sounds great! Thanks for all  the feedback, everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I think you just have to choose what's most important to you.  If the most important thing is your BM's comfort- you might want to opt for shorter dresses.  However, if the formal vibe of the wedding is more important, you may want to go with the longer dresses.  I think that the knee length dresses can look very nice and they can be played up to be more formal.  You could also put your maid of honor in a long dress and everyone else in knee length so she'll be set apart (or vice versa).
    If your wedding is in the spring or summer I would favor the shorter dress though- seems more season appropriate esp. in Phoenix!
  • applemarieapplemarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, on the site its Dress My wedding.  You will have to sign up...you will have to play around with it.  Its fun to get ideas...I actually used it before I made final decisions about what kind of dresses I wanted and colors and so forth! 
    Hope it helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GogalinaGogalina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it would look "weird" to have shorter BM dresses with your ball gown wedding dress. I think those old rules are exactly that, old. Cocktail/tea lengths can still be formal with the right accessories (certain jewelry, shoes, hairstyles, etc). I've seen cocktail length BM dresses at the Ritz & it looked completely fine & I'd consider the Ritz to be as fancy as they come. Further, IMO, having floor length dresses of the same fabric gets to be a bit much in pics if you're having more than a few BMs. Just a thought. I might be biased though because my wedding dress & wedding are both very formal, yet I chose cocktail length BM dresses for my girls (which they LOVE by the way!). The dresses are made of a gorgeous satin & the color is so rich that even though the dresses are not floor length, they're still formal nevertheless. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards