Wedding Etiquette Forum

Alright, where'd everyone go?

Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?

• Aleigh, I don't blame you for being paranoid. I'm not in a hurry to see a movie anytime soon.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • TBH, I'm not paranoid about going to the movies, but I don't blame anyone that is.
  • I'm pretty jumpy and paranoid too Aleigh.  Usually things like this don't affect me like this but I guess Colorado is a lot closer to home than these events usually are.

And it was so methodically planned, it's sick. And freaks me out that someone could sit there and plan something like that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:5f787885-8898-491f-bf35-c3dc493ca409">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty jumpy and paranoid too Aleigh.  Usually things like this don't affect me like this but I guess Colorado is a lot closer to home than these events usually are. And it was so methodically planned, it's sick. <strong>And freaks me out that someone could sit there and plan something like that.</strong>
    Posted by barrelbabe004[/QUOTE]

<div>Same here. I love planning things but the things I sit down and plan are meal plans and vacations, not mass murders. </div>
  • hi hi. 2nd shift girl has a "migraine" and couldn't come into work and I'm working a double now and pissssssed. Totally having to miss a trip to the minor league baseball game we had planned and dinner out.
  • Also, target is almost an hour away. :(
  • Whitsy, I would have been very tempted to say "Nope, can't work tonight and I wasn't scheduled to. Sorry" 
  • I'm working at the hotel over the summer. I was so bored last summer. I only have two weeks left here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:3e1e4a1b-0f79-4722-a1f1-8e290e217ca9">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whitsy, I would have been very tempted to say "Nope, can't work tonight and I wasn't scheduled to. Sorry" 
    Posted by ArynBaker[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what H said I should do, but there was no one to cover the shift. It's so shorthanded right now. Our back up was in a serious car accident two weeks ago, and is still on bedrest. The only other person besides "migraine" girl is out of town for the weekend. I was hoping my manager would offer to cover my shift, but nope.</div>
  • Dude, it's a manager's JOB to cover unstaffed shifts.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:a6e4e50c-ce53-4142-930f-3a53a5f01c71">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dude, it's a manager's JOB to cover unstaffed shifts.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep. I'm highly unhappy. I won't be coming back to this hotel next summer. I'm working at a partner hotel instead of my usual HIE and I've worked way more than intended. I've clocked forty hours a week the past almost month when I signed up to only work two days a week.</div><div>
    </div><div>There's nothing to be done about it but I'm bitchy and whiny about it.</div>
  • ...and that's why I don't pick up extra jobs in the summer. Too much commitment. ;)
  • I hate working summers. I'll find something to do next summer that doesn't involve working haha
  • Ok ladies, I'm out for a while. We're eating dinner with my ILs tonight.  Enjoy your evenings!
  • I'll probably look for a summer job next year.  I'm bored out of my mind, but I don't want to work that many hours.
  • I need to catch up with the thread.  I need a mental break.

I just got done justifying to my mom why I want to be a trauma nurse. IDK why she's so tense about it. I told her that I can't see myself doing anything but.  Will I see gross stuff? Yes.  Will it bother me? Probably.  But the chance to give another soul an opportunity to survive?  I can't pass that up. To get to them in that "golden hour"?  To be the difference between life and death? Maybe it's playing God, but I don't think that God would have given us the talent to save lives if He didn't want us to.

The thing is that, several years ago a co worker suffered a heart attack. I come onto the scene a few minutes later. Everyone was just standing around and stunned. I remember looking at the situation, seeing my friend cyanotic and just knowing what to do.  In my mind, he wasn't a friend, he was a human who was dying. So I acted. I was the only one who did.  It was so natural to me, I didn't think about who it was. I just acted.

He didn't make it. I watched him die, as the paramedics did all that they could, but I've never doubted what I did. Ever.  Ever.

It's so hard to make people understand. But it's a passion for me. I can't imagine doing anythng else.  It's so hard to explain. I should just stop trying to, shouldn't I?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:f7712b3d-524e-40a8-98ff-692186da4e0d">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alright, where'd everyone go? : It's alone. The movie combo pack was a Sandra Bullock one so not exactly the types of movies you invite a new boy over for. I'd been with my X for three years and I still couldn't get him to watch chick flicks with me. He was adamant that that was what I had all my girl friends for. 
    <div>
    </div><div>FI says he'd rather be drug though broken glass by the balls then watch a chick flick. I get it. Totally.</div>
  • Lizzie, you don't need to explain why you want to do something to anyone. I understand we all want our parents to support us and our decisions but ultimately you need to do what makes you happy and you're passionate about. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:94c9b01b-611b-42ad-902c-039d1949e271">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alright, where'd everyone go? : That's what H said I should do, but there was no one to cover the shift. It's so shorthanded right now. Our back up was in a serious car accident two weeks ago, and is still on bedrest. The only other person besides "migraine" girl is out of town for the weekend. I was hoping my manager would offer to cover my shift, but nope.
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>You sound like me.  I admire your work ethic, but sometimes a good work ethic sucks. It's so hard to say no. Isn't it?</div>
  • Lizzie, good for you. I don't think you're likely to get your mother to understand your passion for this-which is often true of mothers. I'd stop justifying it to her-maybe start bean dipping when it comes up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm here!  I've been avoiding responsibility all day.  I'm still in my PJ's actually.  Instead of doing productive things, I've been dress shopping on the interwebs, buying concert tickets, and booking hotel rooms for H's birthday trip next month.

Summer jobs do suck.  I work full-time even during the school year, but I usually work overtime during the summers.  I wish I had more time to myself over the summer, but I also need the money.  Damn catch 22.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:0e123093-2d65-43fa-ac7e-141837ada8c8">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lizzie, you don't need to explain why you want to do something to anyone. I understand we all want our parents to support us and our decisions but ultimately you need to do what makes you happy and you're passionate about. 

<div>
    </div><div>I know, I really need to cut that little last remaining bit of cord.  It's nice, though, knowing that mom is still, you know...mom. She can really get under my skin, though.  She's the Travel Agent for Guilt Trips.</div>
  • Lizzie, awhile back, I was set on doing sex offender treatment.  I still wouldn't mind doing it someday.  NO ONE understood.  Everyone thought I was a crazy.  I got so tired of explaining it, and really, how do you explain those things?  It's so frustrating and annoyiing when people are bitchfaces about it.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:9ae62dc6-4022-4f98-b0c2-1c0fb47efb47">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alright, where'd everyone go? : You sound like me.  I admire your work ethic, but sometimes a good work ethic sucks. It's so hard to say no. Isn't it?
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is me.  I would have done the same thing as whitsy even though the manager should have been the one to cover the shift.

</div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alright-whered-everyone-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26322612-45e2-4f0c-882a-082cede025edPost:be8592cd-b208-433d-ad51-37659db17331">Re: Alright, where'd everyone go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lizzie, good for you. I don't think you're likely to get your mother to understand your passion for this-which is often true of mothers. I'd stop justifying it to her-maybe start bean dipping when it comes up.
    Posted by zizibet[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I wish I could...she's so persistant! She just has this talent of chipping and chipping away. I'm getting better at handling her. I've drawn plenty of lines with her, hard as it was, and I've been shocked at how well she's taken it. </div><div>
    </div><div>With mom, it's like eating an elephant. One bite at a time. But sometimes she's like a bull dog....she gets a hold and won't let go.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • My mother's like that too-it's partly why we aren't close.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lizzie, that sounds really great. I'm sorry your mom isn't being supportive.

Today I went to dog walking orientation at a local rescue. I'm psyched to be volunteering.
  • Daff, that sounds like fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards