October 2013 Weddings

Sunday Wedding?

Hi everyone!
I'm Lauren and this is my first post to this board. My FI and I got engaged back in October, but have been enjoying the first few months of our engagement without wedding planning. Now we are in full wedding mode. I'm wondering if any of you have considered doing a Sunday October 13, 2013 wedding, because that Monday the 14th is a holiday? I don't think everyone has that holiday off (I think its Columbus day), but I figured it would save some money and people would still stay late. Any thoughts?
I look forward to chatting with you girls for the next year and a half!
-Lauren

Re: Sunday Wedding?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:6b25f05b-f3a4-403b-b3f0-5a5bdb5c0605Post:acea8b08-dc8e-4789-b01b-205c72425a77">Sunday Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! I'm Lauren and this is my first post to this board. My FI and I got engaged back in October, but have been enjoying the first few months of our engagement without wedding planning. <strong>Now we are in full wedding mode. I'm wondering if any of you have considered doing a Sunday October 13, 2013 wedding, because that Monday the 14th is a holiday? I don't think everyone has that holiday off (I think its Columbus day), but I figured it would save some money and people would still stay late</strong>. Any thoughts? I look forward to chatting with you girls for the next year and a half! -Lauren
    Posted by LaurenGrace12[/QUOTE]

You could have an earlier wedding with just cocktails and cake. 1. that saves you a bunch of money, 2. you cant say oh I think a bunch of people will stay late because its a holiday the next day.

Not everyone has off. I've never had off that day.

Another cheap route is Fridays

• Hey there! I am actually having it 10/13/13! We are actually having the ceremony start at 11:30 and the reception will end around 5:30. That way, if people want to leave they can. However, we are having an after party too for our friends and family who are staying overnight.
    We decided on that sunday because we found our dream venue and they had a fri or sun wedding package option so it helped us be able to be able to afford the wedding at the venue we wanted-just not on a saturday.
    Good luck to you and congrats! Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FMIL actually wanted 10/13/13. We went with 10/12/13 because not everyone gets off on that monday. I also read that you dont want to have weddings on a holiday, and the sunday before a holiday could always ruin your guests plans. With that said you always need to do what is best for YOU. We have large families and many of our generation are gettng married close to the same time, one of those weddings was the day before 4th of july and a lot of the guests had complaints about it interfering with their annual plans. Good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks guys, I didn't think about annual plans. I guess I never really have any in October, so I was always wondering how it would effect plans if I sent the invites out months in advance. This puts it all into perspective though. Thanks again!
  • We are also planning a Sunday afternoon wedding.  I didnt even realize that Columbus day was the 14th. I thought it was the 7th, so that changes my plans completely.  I was set on the 13th so it wasnt before a holiday!!Laughing
  • My wedding date is 10/13/13 too!!  My FI and I have had our date set long before the engagement.  I didn't know the next day was Columbus day until reading your post.  With that said, people aren't going to care what day your wedding is.  If they are invited and want to be there, they will be there.  My good friend got married the day before Father's day last year.  I work at a breakfast place on Sundays and Father's day is one of our busiest days of the year.  Even though I had to get up super early the next morning, I was there.  I had to leave a bit earlier than I would have liked but I would not have missed her wedding for the world.  Happy planning!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding is scheduled for 10/6/2013. I did that one on purpose. I have a lot of family I know won't take off on Monday, so it saves me from having more mouths I don't care to feed. Most of the family/friends who are important and have been in mine and my FI lives for a long time. Also, 10/6 is our dating anniversary. We didn't want to add another date to remember so we just decided to stick with it, no matter when it fell. 
  • Im having a Jewish wedding so it has to have a sunday. My fiance anniversary is on the 13th and i didnt want to infringe on thier day ,but since you said columbus day is that monday that wouldnt be so bad
  • I have been engaged since Spring of 2012 and currently in school for a master's degree which will finish Spring 2013. Problem is, my fiancee and I would really like to get married before end of 2013 here in the US. My fiance is European and we decided to have 2 weddings: one here in southern California for non-denominational and Catholic church wedding in Germany probably end of summer 2014. We decided to have a resort & spa venue with waterfront ceremony in the afternoon and inside reception dinner. Originally, I wanted to have the wedding here in SoCal at a golf resort and spa (inland) but we thought the green scenery might look too much similar to our EUropean wedding venue and besides, if you live in SoCal, you can't go wrong with a waterfron venue, right? The thing is, I am aiming for these 3 dates: Sept 29 2013 (I am afraid I will only have 6 months of fully concentrated planning left afer my graduation although I have almost everything picked out & spoke with vendors already and just a matter of signing the contract/deposit); Oct 20 2013 (I feel weird that October is the same month as my fiance's birthday although he says it does not bother him) and Nov 17 2013 (Is this too late to have outdoor beachfront ceremony in SoCal?  plus I would have to start the ceremony earlier around 3pm according to the photographer for after ceremony pics before sunset since I don't want to see my fiance before the ceremony) Can you guys please give me your input? I'm interested on what you have to say.
  • Our wedding is also on 10/13/13. The venue we wanted had limited availability and we got a better deal. Plus, we really like the date for a personal reason. Hate to put it this way, but its your choice and your hubbytobe. Sometimes its ok to be selfish a little bit. If u r sending save the dates early enough, then everyone can plan ahead. Those who want to be there and share your special day, they will make the effort no matter when and where. some people may not be able to party as hard, but thats ok! Good luck with planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards