Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Song with lyrics played during unity candle

(In advance, sorry for the wordy post)

I am getting married on September 22nd, and all the music we have during the ceremony (while guests are being seated, processional, recessional, etc) is recorded and will be played from the sound station at the church by my uncle.  (The church my FI and I are getting married in is my family's church and my uncle volunteered to take care of the music as he runs the music during church services, etc and knows how the system works/the ins and outs of it).  My question is, is it OK to have lyrics in your ceremony songs or is it tacky?  There is this song that we want played during the lighting of the unity candle that holds a particular meaning to my fiancee and I.  I "discovered" it before I met my fiancee/while I was still single, and have loved it since that time, I even cried the first time I heard it and prayed for a guy who would feel this way as well.  After meeting my fiancee, getting to know him, falling in love with him, and talking to him he expressed that he felt the same way as I did as the lyrics in the song (and this was before I even played the song for him).  Like an answer to my, rather our, prayers!  This is the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbNTYLfB6xQ

Thoughts?

Re: Song with lyrics played during unity candle

• Sounds to me like you HAVE to use that song.  My FI and I don't attend church, thus aren't getting married in one, but I've always thought that the point of a wedding was to honor the bride and groom.  I'm sure you are following a ton of traditions, and if the song you love has lyrics so be it.  I am walking down the isle to a song sang by Adele.  I heared the song and knew it was the one I wanted to walk down to my FH too.  I've played it for anyone that would really care and they all love it, but if they didn't I really don't think it would have changed my mind.  Music is so personal anyway, so stick to what YOU and your FH want.  God loves all sorts of music, Tu-pac or Snoop might annoy Him, but I don't think he'll mind your choice.

• Sounds to me like you HAVE to use that song.  My FI and I don't attend church, thus aren't getting married in one, but I've always thought that the point of a wedding was to honor the bride and groom.  I'm sure you are following a ton of traditions, and if the song you love has lyrics so be it.  I am walking down the isle to a song sang by Adele.  I heared the song and knew it was the one I wanted to walk down to my FH too.  I've played it for anyone that would really care and they all love it, but if they didn't I really don't think it would have changed my mind.  Music is so personal anyway, so stick to what YOU and your FH want.  God loves all sorts of music, Tu-pac or Snoop might annoy Him, but I don't think he'll mind your choice.

• Love the song! Going to share it with my FI tomorrow! Go for it!
  • It's totally fine to use a song with lyrics in your ceremony, but I agree with Stage - you either need a shorter song or you need more things to do during the unity candle time.  We lit the candle, signed our marriage license and took communion, and we still had about a minute left at the end.
  • Does your church and/or officiant have any rules about what music you can use? Some churches are not open to modern type music. If you can use it, I agree with the PP who said use it as your wedding party processional music so it really has a special place in the ceremony. If you start it before the seating of the mothers it will have plenty of time, even if you switch to a different "Here Comes the Bride" type theme for yourself. I'm using the theme song from "Perfect Storm" by John Mellencamp for our processional  - it's meaningful and personal for us. Good luck and best wishes! Jennifer

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards