Not Engaged Yet

Do you know?

I was active on another wedding board for a while, and the ladies on that NEY board knew WAYYYY too much about the planned proposals. Like down to the day. Maybe its me, but I think the proposal should be a surprise. Anyone here know specifics? Wishing you didnt? Just curious as I still poke in on that other board occassionally and I am starting to wonder more and more WHY some people want to take the surprise and romance out of the event

Re: Do you know?

• audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    I knew almost all of the details. And it was still romantic and still exciting. I don't see anything wrong with knowing what's going on, depending on your guy. Mine is awful at keeping secrets and doesn't like surprises, therefore, it was easy to figure out what was happening as he kept "dropping hints." 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • I know what the ring looks like and supposedly the timeline, but otherwise, I don't know anything.

• We picked the ring out together.  That's all I knew.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Vintagelove4Vintagelove4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    All I know is that he has the ring, but he's had the ring for a very long time now so that doesn't really tell me anything. I don't even know what it looks like! I hope it's not a diamond though, I hate diamonds.... just yuck.
    As far as timeline, I'm thinking he might do it this winter because he's been talking a ton about marriage and making a family together. I wouldn't trade our relationship for the world.

So I'm mostly clueless. In love, but clueless. haha
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm NEY and I know nothing, I prefer it that way.  I want to be surprised by it all. I told him not to spend over x amount on a ring and I'd preferred white gold. I said I wanted him to do what he was comfortable with and what he liked. All of the jewelry I've ever gotten from him has been perfect so I trust his taste.  

I don't know any when details either, I prefer for it to be a surprise.  The only detail I have been given is- soon.  It can be hard sometimes not knowing what stage he is at with the planning but at the same time, the surprise will be even greater.  

Anniversary

• I don't know what the ring looks like. My BF says he is proposing before Thanksgiving (which is a little over a week away so I'm trying EXTREMELY hard not to go BSC). Besides that I don't know anything. That's how my BF wants it to be and I like that it will be a surprise. But every couple is different. I don't see anything wrong with a couple choosing to go about getting engaged however they want.

• RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I helped design the ring and knew when he brought it home.  At that point, he did promise to not make me "wait too long."  I was getting a little mopey about not being engaged yet on the very day he surprised me with a proposal.  I didn't know it was going to happen that day or how he was going to propose.  It was still memorable and I still blubbered like a baby.

• We bought the ring together, and I had a pretty good idea when it was going to happen. It was still awesome.

I think a proposal being a total surprise is weird, too. If you haven't ever discussed marriage, you probably shouldn't get engaged. I'm sure most people are somewhere in the middle and have some inkling of when it will happen when they're close.
  • My FI had the ring for over a year before he proposed...and I knew he had it. I had an idea of when he might propose because I knew he was waiting until he graduated. It was still incredibly romantic when he actually got down on one knee.

I agree on some level that a surprise is nice, but I think we put a lot of pressure on guys to make it something extravagant. To me, the most important part of the proposal was the fact that my guy wants to commit to spending his whole life with me. That gesture in and of itself is romantic.

Oh and Beth - OMG I'm so excited for you!!! I know that I shouldn't be encouraging the BSC around here...but I would be thrilled to hear you got engaged!! You'll have to keep us posted.
  • We looked at rings together to get an idea of what I like and what size I am. FI picked the ring himself, though, and I had no idea when he was going to propose.

I think it's fine either way. I was glad he surprised me but if I had known when he planned to propose, I'm pretty sure I would have been just as excited and happy. 

• FI and I had discussed getting married numerous times before he proposed and had set up a basic timeline for things.  He also let me pick out the setting I want, because I am crazy particular about, well, everything, and he wanted to make sure I absolutely loved my ring. 

However, I had no idea when he ordered the ring and was completely blown away when he proposed about a year ahead of our timeline.  I didn't think it was possible that he could surprise me, but he did. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beth- That must be so exciting, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing it was so close.  I'm glad BF hasn't clued me in like that.

I've repeated over and over to BF it does not need to be elaborate I just want that commitment and take things to the next step.  He keeps saying he wants to make sure it's done right..... lol.

Anniversary

• I knew most of it. We designed the ring together, and picked out the stones together. I refused to see the final cads though. I had an inkling on the proposal but not the whole thing. We were engaged before the ring as we set a wedding date during the time we bought the stone. However it didnt make his presentation any less amazing. I think it all depends on the woman and the man and what they want together.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:59b5834f-e89f-4312-bab1-655124f64c96Post:8638cffd-f06e-43ff-a649-fe1da079b537">Re: Do you know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We bought the ring together, and I had a pretty good idea when it was going to happen. It was still awesome. I think a proposal being a total surprise is weird, too. If you haven't ever discussed marriage, you probably shouldn't get engaged. I'm sure most people are somewhere in the middle and have some inkling of when it will happen when they're close.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

I'm with this statement as well.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I have no clue.  I know 1) we want to get married 2) we want 2 kids 3) he wants to bring me with him to the Diamond District to pick out the diamond since he doesn't like to haggle and doesn't know/doesn't want to be duped on the quality of the diamond and 4) it's not happening this year lol.

Other than that, like a PP post said, I wouldn't trade this relationship for the world.  I'm so hapy!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:59b5834f-e89f-4312-bab1-655124f64c96Post:4d624a02-73ca-479e-b021-a1734aed8264">Re: Do you know?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I agree on some level that a surprise is nice, but I think we put a lot of pressure on guys to make it something extravagant. To me, the most important part of the proposal was the fact that my guy wants to commit to spending his whole life with me. That gesture in and of itself is romantic.
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

This was how I felt. The commitment part was the most romantic part for me.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • My BF and I are going ring shopping within the next few weekends, most likely after I'm done with school and that's all I know. He is very intent on keeping it a secret after that.

Allusive - your signature picture is so cute!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have zero clue when, or where, or how it will happen. We've talked about it and he has said it will happen 'sometime next year', but who knows when that could be? I like being surprised, and he knows that I don't want to be part of the ring buying or designing. He does know that I would prefer moissanite to any other stone. In the end, it's all up to him and I prefer it that way.

Knowing el senor, even HE won't know he's going to propose until he wakes up that morning. He's kind of like that. Gets a bug up his butt and says, "Today I'm going to (fill in the blank)." Even if he did/does plan something out, I won't have a clue. He's frighteningly good at keeping secrets.

Speaking of surprise proposals (most of you have seen this) I saw this the other day and totally "D'awwwwwwwww"-ed my way through it.  Clicky.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:59b5834f-e89f-4312-bab1-655124f64c96Post:44553002-9243-434e-a9e9-be11f01f3484">Re: Do you know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have zero clue when, or where, or how it will happen. We've talked about it and he has said it will happen 'sometime next year', but who knows when that could be? I like being surprised, and he knows that I don't want to be part of the ring buying or designing. He does know that I would<strong> prefer moissanite to any other stone</strong>. In the end, it's all up to him and I prefer it that way. Knowing el senor, even HE won't know he's going to propose until he wakes up that morning. He's kind of like that. Gets a bug up his butt and says, "Today I'm going to (fill in the blank)." Even if he did/does plan something out, I won't have a clue. He's frighteningly good at keeping secrets. <strong>Speaking of surprise proposals (most of you have seen this) I saw this the other day and totally "D'awwwwwwwww"-ed my way through it.  Clicky .
    </strong>Posted by beanbot2002[/QUOTE]

I never heard of moissanite before, so I had to google--gorgeous! 

Thank you for making me cry at work and before my review ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I designed the ring myself, so I knew exactly what it would look like and I pretty much knew the exact minute he received it, thanks to email shipping notifications.  The proposal itself was a surprise up until about 2 minutes before, at which point I knew for sure that it was about to happen...  because he told me.  Ha.
  • We picked out the ring together, after that i had no clue what he was going to do.  Which was nice cause I didn't feel like around every corner may be a HUGE sharp toothed hairy monster was going to attack.  So when it actually happened I was surprised and laughing my butt off. Romantic and sweet.
  • I had no idea FI was going to propose. Not a clue. He's terrible at keeping secrets (and he knows it), so he only held onto the ring for about 48 hours before he asked so I didn't have a chance to get suspicious.

We had talked about marriage in a "someday" kind of way, but it wasn't really top of mind for me when he proposed since we'd just moved into our new house several months before and it was kind of the top priority at that time. We'd had all the conversations people have when they're thinking of spending the rest of their lives together before we decided to buy our house, so we were already solidly committed to one another, we just hadn't discussed a timeline for the actual wedding (which is typical of us...most decisions are made on the fly, which some people might judge but it works for us).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:59b5834f-e89f-4312-bab1-655124f64c96Post:ac8ec9a3-62af-4b2b-9da2-a5ae9da1574a">Re: Do you know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty sure my imaginary boyfriend is going to propose tomorrow. I JUST KNOW IT.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I love you so much right now!
  • Interesting to hear all of your feedback

For myself, I hope to have some imput in the ring (Im VERY picky), but other than that I dont want to know anything! The BF also has implied that this should be his thing and a surprise so Im just gonna go along for the ride :)
  • I actually just posted about this here: http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-thing-hit-me-as-sad-all-of-a-sudden-long-post-semi-rant

I went from only helping pick the ring to basically planning it for him... it's actually kind of sad for me, I was hoping for a surprise. I'm still excited for it to happen though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards