Just Engaged and Proposals

New and Needing Help!

hey knotties-- i'm so excited to be part of the knot because i'm engaged and not just fantasizing about planning our wedding! 

this time has been over 5 years in the making so needless to say, many people have been expecting this time. people are asking when our wedding will be, but we haven't set a date and probably won't for about 6 months due to an upcoming move for us. also, people have been asking us about wedding party already! first, how do we politely tell people that we need time to make these decisions. 

second, my mom and i booked my first appointment to try on wedding dresses in december. a friend asked if she could come with us. i really wanted it to just be my mom and i, and i don't want to give her the impression she'll be in the wedding party. any way to let her down easily? 

Re: New and Needing Help!

• That is exactly why I didn't tell anyone about my engagement until we were ready to announce a date. I'm pretty sure everyone will understand if you say you are waiting for life to settle down a bit first. Alternatively, make up a date 3 years in the future.

• Just tell her you would love to do lunch with her sometime or maybe you can take her to do some other WR item but this one time, you just want you and your mom there.
  • Just tell people the truth when the ask. Tell them thanks for asking, but you will let them know when you have set a date, etc.

As far as your friend goes, I am sure that if you explained to her you just want to go with your Mom, she will understand. Like future-mrs said, maybe she will be interested in doing some other wedding things with you. Or, maybe she could go with you when you finally purchase a dress. Sometimes another opinion can be helpful.
  • I agree with all the PP's. Explain to people there are a lot of things going on now with the 2 of you and a date will be set at a later time.

As for the friend issue, if you explan to her you just want it to be your mom and you the first time you go dress shopping, I am sure she will understand.  If you do want her to go at a later time, tell her that as well.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • People are just excited for you, which is why they're asking about the date. There's no need to go into a whole long explanation about your planning process, you can tell them you're just enjoying being engaged for the moment, and/or there are some things you guys want to take care of before setting a date and start planning. That should temporarily cause them to ease up. I just got engaged less than 2 weeks ago (and like you we've been together over 5 years so people have been waiting for this), and people already ask about the date. I say we are just basking in the glow of being engaged for the moment ;) 

As for the dress shopping, I would simply tell your friend that you really wanted this to be a special day with just your mom. I'm sure she'll understand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards