May 2013 Weddings

Are you using a videographer?

Have any of you decided to use a videographer?

I was at a bridal event last night and had a one-on-one chat with a really nice and locally well known videographer. We talked about industry trends, business, brides budgeting, etc and in the end, this is what he had to say.

"I know that my services are not a need to make your day happen. Officiant, you need. Food, most likely. Me? Not so much. And I am also probably one of the only vendors who would be ok with getting paid after your wedding. I understand brides have budgets they're trying to fit in. I'd rather they have my services and afford me after the wedding then to decide to not have it done at all."

This was surprising to me. A very interesting concept. Being on a tight budget as I am, there is no way I have room to fit a videographer in my plans before the wedding, but I know that if he is ok with getting paid after the wedding/honeymoon, I would be able to afford it after the fact. So I may talk to him some more. If FI and I decide to do this, we may still try to get him at least a good deposit for showing up, but plan on paying the rest after.

So what are you ladies doing about videography?
May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge January- Let Them Eat Cake!
My cake is a 2-tier ivory cake with silver dotted scallops, ribbon and pearl brooch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are you using a videographer?

• I'm skipping it. My photographer does some short video clips with his camera, but thats it. He puts together a really cool video slide show including a few video clips. I just don't have room in my budget for a videographer.
    Trying to conceive #1 since January 2013
    My Ovulation Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_are-you-using-a-videographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:6f0f8ff7-1603-4b08-a15e-a6fb34fea2d6Post:5cc10880-4826-4508-ae37-4139e49f5d85">Re: Are you using a videographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm skipping it. My photographer does some short video clips with his camera, but thats it. He puts together a really cool video slide show including a few video clips. I just don't have room in my budget for a videographer.
    Posted by Krikin22[/QUOTE]

I also didn't think I could fit it into my budget but he was offering 25% off his package pricing (cheapest package is $500) and that he is open to recieving payment after the wedding. I wrote it off thinking I just couldn't afford it (before) the wedding, but with the discount plus him accepting payment after, I started wondering if I should do it. It seems really cool and Im hoping I dont regret it later if I choose not to do it.
    My cake is a 2-tier ivory cake with silver dotted scallops, ribbon and pearl brooch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing one...  Nothing fancy but I want video of my vows and dances with music... 
    May 2013 FebSiggy... Invite... Different Type of Ribbon/Knot Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_are-you-using-a-videographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:6f0f8ff7-1603-4b08-a15e-a6fb34fea2d6Post:046ff8db-fc10-4c6c-9612-b1bc9f03da89">Re: Are you using a videographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you using a videographer? : I also didn't think I could fit it into my budget but he was offering 25% off his package pricing (cheapest package is $500) and that he is open to recieving payment after the wedding. I wrote it off thinking I just couldn't afford it (before) the wedding, but with the discount plus him accepting payment after, I started wondering if I should do it. It seems really cool and Im hoping I dont regret it later if I choose not to do it.
    Posted by MamaBear904[/QUOTE]

So $375, that's not very much at all! Did he show you some of the videos? How later after does he mean? Because I'm thinking even the day of the wedding you will have to shell out cash for tips and all the money you will spend on your honeymoon, nothing in Europe is cheap!
    Trying to conceive #1 since January 2013
    My Ovulation Chart
  • I'm skipping it because I just don't think I'll watch it and I'd rather spend it on my photographer. If you want it though and it works out to fit in your budget, it sounds like a great deal!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We actually have a friend who does videos on the side (more like of kids birthdays, retirement things, memorial videos, etc), who has never done a wedding... But we saw his videos and he does an excellent job. He will have multiple cameras set up and uses professional equipment and is only charging us $200, so I couldn't turn it down! It wasn't in our budget either, but after seeing wedding "recap" videos, or whatever they are called, and crying every time, I knew we couldn't pass it up. lol So when he offered, I figured it's way better than nothing! I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are actually having FI's cousin do ours. He is in school right now and had done a documentary and commercial that were awesome. He also did the video for FBIL's wedding and it turned out really nice. Videography was something I wanted, but wasn't planning on doing because we didn't have the budget for it. When he offered to do it for us we couldn't say no.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No videographer for us - I figured we wouldn't watch it much and it would probably just sit somewhere for a long time. Although I did see a sneak peek from a former classmates wedding and it looked very nice - almost temptiing me to reconsider...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We aren't.  The photographs were more important to us.  Also it's just not something we could fit in the budget.  Granted, my mom's friend will probably use her camcorder and that's fine with me.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • We were going to skip it, until we got advice from many friends and family that we should do it and may regret it if we don't. We were able to find a videographer who does good work, willing to do only 4 hours to keep cost down, but still provide a quality video that we can have forever. I think it's really worth it because you'll always have your vows. Even if you just choose to tape just the ceremony, you will never regret doing it. But you may regret not doing it. :)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2012
    I've never heard a bride say, "Darn, if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have a videographer." In fact, I've only heard of those who didn't have one, regretting it. We are definitely having one. Often, they will do a special for just ceremony only services. Photography is my biggest want and we have an amazing one, but I can't see spending all this money without having it documented as much as possible. I also want our children to see it someday. I plan on watching it every year on our anniversary, whether my FI joins me or not. Lol. Edited for sp.
  • Originally I wasn't going to use one...but have heard the same advice from a lot of people that they have regretted not having one.  My FI thinks its a waste of money because we will never watch it, but I really want to have it.  So much is going to be going on that day that I feel like I will miss half of it - so even if I watch it once, it will be worth it for me.  

We haven't booked one yet (since FI is still not 100% on board).  We also found a videographer that would accept payment after the wedding, so if we decide to do it, we are going with him!  
  • I'm very lucky in the fact that my brother runs a videography company in Hawaii, so he's gonna send some people out to do the wedding :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am definitly doing video. There will be moments going on thru out the day that you simply wont remember. I hear brides all the time say I didnt know that or I dont remember. I dont want to be the bride who misses it all. My videog is charging 300 for 4 hours. Long enough for the ceremony and most of the reception. Something I def. Can fit in my budget.
    imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/
  • We're not doing one.  Here's my thing, I hate having a camera in my face.  It makes me very uncomfortable.  Already we have a photographer, so one camera will be in my face, but I've watched this photographer do weddings and what I love about her is that she gets great shots without being in the way.  I hate when I go to weddings and the photographers and videographers are always in the way and ruining the moment.  I realize all we will have after the wedding is pictures, but I will also have memories and I don't want those memories to be tainted by cameras in my face.  I want to be in the moment.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had wanted one originally when we first started planning.... but it really doesn't fit into our budget... we're already over the initial budget, so I'm trying to keep my list at "must haves".. FI doesn't think we'd ever watch it.... and while I disagree, I figure if he's really not into the idea, then it's really not a "must have"..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

May 2013 - January - Cake Inspiration!
  • At first wasn't in the budget but after moving some things around our photographer got us good deal we are only getting 8 hrs I feel like more than enough considering our time slot is 511
  • Any videographer who is in your face isn't a good one. I talked with a few brides who had used the one we hired and they all said they didn't even know he was there, but the video is great! He sent me a copy of one that he did that had the same venues as me and I was impressed. He is 200 an hour and we have him for four hours. To me, it is worth it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_are-you-using-a-videographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:6f0f8ff7-1603-4b08-a15e-a6fb34fea2d6Post:984ace34-114c-486f-a7c7-9d4d670d1f69">Re: Are you using a videographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you using a videographer? : So $375, that's not very much at all! Did he show you some of the videos? How later after does he mean? Because I'm thinking even the day of the wedding you will have to shell out cash for tips and all the money you will spend on your honeymoon, nothing in Europe is cheap!
    Posted by Krikin22[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I've seen his work before and he does good work. He also informed me that because my reception will be over by 3pm, he would stay thru to the end of my wedding including reception. So essentially, that includes 5 hours of coverage, editing and a produced DVD. All this for a great price PLUS he's willing to wait for payment after the wedding? Im thinking this may be too good of an opportunity to pass up!

</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At my first wedding 13 years ago we had a videographer. She was my 7th grade Sunday school teacher and a family friend and didn't charge us for it. I think we maybe watched it once in 10 years. My fiancée doesn't care for one but now after seeing all these posts maybe we should reconsider.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • no videographer...can't afford it but we will give a friend or family member (someone we trust) a video camera to tape our ceremony. I want to have that at least. I don't really care if I have a video of me getting ready or whatever I just want our ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    192 invited image
    69 will be there image
    5 will be missing out image
     118 haven't RSVP'Dimage
    RSVP Deadline: May 3rd
  • FLGatorGal88FLGatorGal88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Our photography packages includes on so we decided to have one when we went with our photographer.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:The Cake!!!
    cake4
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wasn't sure I wanted this but it is a part of my photography package so we're going to use it.

It'll be fun to look back at.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Similar to other PP's, I have heard too many scenarios of brides really regretting not having a videographer. We are going with one that will be with us the whole day. They are actually going to record little clips from our entire BP and our parents before the ceremony. I've watched other videos that this husband-wife videography team has done and cry every single time. I understand photography is important, but it doesn't capture all of the emotion that video does. I know some people say you will never watch it, but I'd much rather have the option to! Think of how great it would be to show our kids some day...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards