Snarky Brides

Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago

2»

Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:89ebc42c-a648-467f-b013-ee33f0fd5260">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago : Really? I'd hope they're doing random checks.  Otherwise, I could get a job today. Go steal a bunch of shiit over the next 30 years and it wouldn't matter.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]
    Yup. If they do random checks, they are smart. Especially because it's a financial job.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:89ebc42c-a648-467f-b013-ee33f0fd5260">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago : Really? I'd hope they're doing random checks.  Otherwise, I could get a job today. Go steal a bunch of shiit over the next 30 years and it wouldn't matter.
     Yeah but if you commit a crime while employed, aren't they automatically notified?  If they aren't, then I agree.. I just thought they wree automatically notified w/o the check.
  • This has more info:  http://m.jsonline.com/topstories/150316185.htm

Looks like WF started doing background checks on existing employees in 2010 due to new regulations. 
  • MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:f5b126e8-ebb3-44d7-a3ae-cc66d32b37c6">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago : I didn't think shoplifting was a felony - isn't it a misdemeanor?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Even if it were a misdemeanor, there might be a law on the books out there - again, I don't know.  The OP said she didn't know there were federal laws against hiring felons in certain professions, so I just went with that.  Also, I <em>think </em>there might be laws on hiring restrictions on people with DWI's or DUI's, even ones that are just misdemeanors, but they might be state by state.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • I don't think it matters if/why it didn't show up on a previous background check.

You can't keep someone employed who you otherwise wouldn't hire just because you did a background check wrong 5 years ago and figured it out now. 

This person doesn't meet the requirements for employment, end of story.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:eb60da20-9f65-4548-87ac-cf6080ec3be5">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]This has more info:  <a href="http://m.jsonline.com/topstories/150316185.htm" rel="nofollow">http://m.jsonline.com/topstories/150316185.htm</a> Looks like WF started doing background checks on existing employees in 2010 due to new regulations. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

Aaaah.  Welp, there it is.
    panther
  • If I had a prior DUI and I was employed in a school without them knowing, you can bet I'd be fired when they found out. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for posting that Girlie.  Based on the more information, then I don't think they're in the wrong here.

Hopefully this can be a lesson to young adults who think what they do now won't matter in 40 years.
  • Honestly, if she had to do an FBI background check, it shouldn't have come as a surprise that she was going to lose her job. I have to have mine re-run every year (every six months right now because I'm on a black program). The frigging paperwork is ridiculously detailed about what information they need. Hell I'm surprised it doesn't ask how many times I farted in 1993. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:5548bc73-64f8-49f0-bb58-69fa98eff1fe">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago :  Yeah but if you commit a crime while employed, aren't they automatically notified?  If they aren't, then I agree.. I just thought they wree automatically notified w/o the check.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

uh, no. Not unless they run a background check. I mean, I guess if you have to go to jail, you're going to have to explain those days/weeks away from work somehow.
  • ErinG93ErinG93 member
    First Comment
    Yeah Chels, people in the jail my H works for 'call in sick' all the time. Sometimes their employers have no idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:20fb1680-cb5e-466e-b76b-f14b34af0e79">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago : uh, no. Not unless they run a background check. I mean, I guess if you have to go to jail, you're going to have to explain those days/weeks away from work somehow.
    Exactly. Before we instituted our current MVR policy, we found out through the grapevine that a coach that was driving students on athletic trips in cars that we covered had a suspended license due to a DUI. We would have never known had someone not spilled the beans. Now we run a driving record annually on anyone who drives as a part of their job. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:cfa2cb3e-4f09-4223-b17c-87eadead4a8c">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago : Even if it were a misdemeanor, there might be a law on the books out there - again, I don't know.  The OP said she didn't know there were federal laws against hiring felons in certain professions, so I just went with that.<strong><u>  Also, I think there might be laws on hiring restrictions on people with DWI's or DUI's, even ones that are just misdemeanors, but they might be state by state.
    </u></strong>Posted by MRads[/QUOTE]

My father has driving contracts for the USPS and he cant have any drivers with anything on their record.  Even a DUI from 40 years ago when they were a teenager.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • We ran into something here like that Sarah. Not nearly as extreme. But, when I was promoted I had to go through the whole background check thing again. I was charged with reckless driving (long story short, I flashed my headlights at an off-duty cop who then followed me home an hour later.)  The judge had it dismissed completely (because it was ridiculous), but it was still on my record, so it showed up on the background check.  Since it wasn't a conviction it didn't really matter.

BUT it brought up the point that I would've been screwed. What if I *had* been convicted- then I would be ineligible for the new job. BUT would my department have had to fire me from my current job too, now that they knew? And if so, how fair is that when no one else gets background checks after they are originally hired?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:55fd64e0-a9dd-44db-b925-4e77fd057e1c">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, if she had to do an FBI background check, it shouldn't have come as a surprise that she was going to lose her job. I have to have mine re-run every year (every six months right now because I'm on a <strong>black program</strong>). The frigging paperwork is ridiculously detailed about what information they need. Hell I'm surprised it doesn't ask how many times I farted in 1993. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

We don't have one of those anymore but I've heard stories about the paperwork.  And I've been interviewed several times for people getting their TS and it's crazy the amount of questions asked.
  • Background checks are getting more and more strict! The only way she has a fighting chance is if she disclosed her crime during the hiring process then she may have a grandfather clause in her favor.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • MegenQMegenQ member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_woman-fired-from-job-for-crime-committed-40-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28008407-ede0-4770-b30e-736ac4784e65Post:3c93d221-167d-491c-9bcc-1d2c229328ef">Re: Woman fired from job for crime committed 40 years ago</a>:
    [QUOTE]Either way, Wells Fargo's insurance company needs to bond all employees with access to financial assets. If they can't bond her because of a prior conviction, then they can't continue to employ her.  A lot of applications only cover the last 7-10 years, but I would think that WF would go further than that because of their bonding requirements. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

All banks need to bond workers. However after being in banking for almost five years I have seen people work for several banks that have done a lot worse them shoplift at 17 and they have access to customer's information, including social and credit information. There were people who had committed fraud, even on women who had served jail time for bouncing checks and check kiting. I have worked for branch managers who have stolen from the vaults and blamed other employees. My guess is that there is something else going on and that just happened to come up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think there is more to this story, too. Wells Fargo has a policy of not hiring people with ANY criminal issues regardless of position. However, I am VERY surprised that a shoplifting conviction stayed on anyone's record for 40 years, and also that Wells in their original background check on her did not know about it if it was there.

As to her getting unemployment, unless she lied on the application she may well get unemployment. Even if she did "lie" a decent attorney could make a case that she did not think a 35 year old misdemenor was relevant.

I am not really a "soft on crime" type at all, but I really think that any misdemenor should fall off your criminal history after ten years. Employers don't even want to do some of the things background check wise that they are doing now-when it comes to the crim-check mania they are often being pushed at by insurance companies. I recently could not hire someone who got what we call a "pot ticket" here in MN - misdemenor pot, five years ago. It was not like we were interviewing her to work at a high school.
  • I am a lurker but I wanted to chime in since I work for WF. When I started 5 years ago, I had a background check for my admin position (not bonded), however, in the last few years, they switched to a new company to run the check. After just hiring someone a few months ago, the new background check is much more extensive. I wonder if they are rerunning the checks with existing employees with the new company. That could explain how they found it.

I was also told that if I had any sort of convictions (both misdemeanor and felony) on my record not to apply for my job. If she did lie on her application then she should be fired ASAP.

Anyway, back to lurking. It makes my day go by faster!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards