Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gift cards??

What is the proper way to register for gift cards... ex: visa/amex gift cards?  We already have all the normal household items... we just really need $$$$.

Re: Gift cards??

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-cards-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d11a9f89-0526-473f-b5eb-35cdf3ed052cPost:0b3c185f-a0cd-4c80-9004-539aef595067">Gift cards??</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the proper way to register for gift cards... ex: visa/amex gift cards?  We already have all the normal household items... we just really need $$$$.
    Posted by Christinatia[/QUOTE]
    There isn't.  Asking for cash is rude.  If you really don't need anything for your home then just don't register.  When people ask where you're registered reply with, "We didn't really need anything for our home but we're saving up for ____."<div>
    </div><div>(Most) People know that cash is an acceptable gift.  There's no need to "register" for it.</div><div>
    </div><div>FYI: There are several posts about this on this board. </div>
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    What is the proper way to register for gift cards... ex: visa/amex gift cards? 
    There isn't a proper way.

We already have all the normal household items...

You still shouldn't ask for money. If you don't want anything, dont' register for anything.

we just really need $$$$.
    Of course you do. Everyone does. Registering for it is unnecessary. If people want to give you money, they will. If they don't want to, registering for it won't change their mind.

If someone asks where you are registered, just spread it around through word of mouth, "They aren't registered anywhere, but I hear they're saving up for a new boat." Or what ever it is you need the cash for.
  • Options
    If you're having a shower, could you do a gift card shower? My SIL did that and it was actually really nice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    You don't ask for gift cards under any circumstances. It is the same as asking for cash which is rude. 

Showers are for showering the bride with gifts not cash or gift cards.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-cards-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d11a9f89-0526-473f-b5eb-35cdf3ed052cPost:ea9782aa-8a44-48a2-8f96-7ccaad622275">Re: Gift cards??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're having a shower, could you do a gift card shower? My SIL did that and it was actually really nice.
    Posted by ehenry010[/QUOTE]

How does this type of shower 'work'? I find showers to be torture some times but at least you can see what people get. I'm not picturing how a gift card shower works other than the bride opening envelope after envelope.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-cards-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d11a9f89-0526-473f-b5eb-35cdf3ed052cPost:b956d017-d7b2-4f64-85b5-6376548e9487">Re: Gift cards??</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the proper way to register for gift cards... ex: visa/amex gift cards?   There isn't a proper way. We already have all the normal household items... You still shouldn't ask for money. If you don't want anything, dont' register for anything. we just really need $$$$. Of course you do. Everyone does. Registering for it is unnecessary. If people want to give you money, they will. If they don't want to, registering for it won't change their mind. If someone asks where you are registered, just spread it around through word of mouth, "They aren't registered anywhere, but I hear they're saving up for a new boat." Or what ever it is you need the cash for.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

This.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-cards-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d11a9f89-0526-473f-b5eb-35cdf3ed052cPost:179a4254-4999-4d0a-a02d-17c600e2eee3">Re: Gift cards??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gift cards?? : How does this type of shower 'work'? I find showers to be torture some times but at least you can see what people get. I'm not picturing how a gift card shower works other than the bride opening envelope after envelope.
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

I can imagine... eesh. "Aw, thanks grandma, $50 to Target!" "Thanks Suzie for the $20 to Sears" "Oh WOW, thank you Aunt Jane for the $200 to Crate and Barrel!" I bet this would be really awkward... and super emberrasing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards