Maryland

Modern-type venue within hour of BWI or on beach?

Hi all,

Any thoughts on a venue within an hour of BWI or on the beach?  I'm a DC resident (originally from MN) so I'm not super familiar with the area.

The biggest issue seems to be that most common venues are not really our style: stately mansions with crystal and china, rustic barns, traditional-looking hotels.

Ideally we'd have something with a little modern flair (a more modern hotel, photo studio, museum or art gallery space come to mind) or maybe a blank-slate type venue that we could do some work on?  Being on the beach would be great but not sure if I'm asking too much. We should have about 80-100 guests, budget is not too strict.  Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!!

jess

Re: Modern-type venue within hour of BWI or on beach?

• edited December 2011
    If you want to do waterfront and outdoor within an hour of BWI, I can think of a few places that might interest you:  Check out the Merrill Center at Chesapeake Bay Foundation in Annapolis.  In Baltimore, the National Aquarium, Living Classrooms foundation, and Museum of Industry are waterfront and all rent for weddings.  I'm sure there are many more in DC too.
  • edited December 2011
    On the water places I can think of are:

Celebrations at the Bay
    Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
    Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
    Herrington on the Bay
    Swan Harbor Farm

Not sre what your budget is, but with a lot of the water venues I ran into minimums taht I could not meet with a 100 person guest list (not all of the above are like that though).

Other unique spaces include

Walters Art Gallery
    Baltimore Museum of Industry
    Baltimore Zoo

I got married outside at Gramercy Manion - bot sure if it fits your style though but the gardens were amazing.

• edited December 2011
    @ Lizzie - looks like the Merrill Center is closed after April 2012 (renovations).  The aquarium and living classrooms ideas are intriguing, but somehow seem a bit too kitschy for me.

@Blonde - all great places, thanks!  I'd still like something that is not the traditional stately/majestic hotel or club (or country/rustic venue).  Hard to explain what I'm thinking of I guess!  I do agree the zoo etc is unique but also seems somewhat gimmicky.  The gardens at Gramercy look gorgeous, your wedding must have been great!

There are lots of places I'd love in DC (where we live), but I was hoping for something a little out of the way (MD, PA, or VA) to make it more of a "weekend", where guests would stay overnight.  I think I'm probably being too picky, I give up :(
  • LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about a yacht? The River Plantation yachts are gorgeous.
  • edited December 2011
    Baltimore Visionary Art Museum is another one to look into!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there!  My husband and I are a wedding photography team here in harford county -- here are a few of our suggestions!

The Evergreen Museum & Library at JHU--  The North Wing looks really unique and may be something you're looking for --never worked there but have heard great things.  

I believe someone also mentioned the Baltimore Museum of Industry, which is a cool location as well.

I've also heard of an incredible art space in DC called LongView Gallery -- really modern and has that city loft vibe :)

oh, and I know a couple who got married at the Sherwood Forest Club --a very unique location on the water that has kinda a vintage/retro vibe...

check out http://www.unitedwithlove.com -- their venue list is quite extensive and should help!!

Good luck!

kristin + darrell
    darrell mcdavid photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards