Louisiana-New Orleans

Hotel for out of town guests?????

I'm getting married in Sept of 2012 in New Orleans, but live in Chicago. I'm trying to find a good deal on hotels for my guests in the Quarter or close to it, but everything seems so pricey. Does any one have any suggestions on where to stay or some way to get a good deal. These hotels seem to have forgotten there is a recession and money is tight for a lot of people.

Re: Hotel for out of town guests?????

• meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Chicago transplant to New Orleans :-)  Did you check all the different travel sites (hotels.com, priceline.com, etc.)?  There is a Holiday Inn in the French Quarter and I have stayed at the Ambassador Hotel which is near the Quarter...the walls were a little thin but got a decent deal on Priceline.com for New Year's.  You can consider the Warehouse Arts District and Convention Center areas too since these are close to the French Quarter.  The Drury Hotel isn't far from the French Quarter and seemed pretty reasonable compared to other French Quarter/downtown locations when I was looking for somewhere for my sisters to stay for my wedding, they have suites that sleep 3-4 people for $160-$170 if I remember right.

Worst case, rooms can be had for $90 in the suburbs in Metairie (with a full kitchen so guests can save on eating out!)  This is what my sisters will be doing.  For guests who didn't drive in I think the cab ride to the French Quarter from Metairie would only be about $20, not bad at all if there are a few people sharing the fare.  It's only about a 15-20 minute ride/drive.  I would recommend staying right off the interstate near Causeway, there are several hotels in that area.  If you're looking for LaQuinta, Super8, Motel 6, and some of the budget friendly chains you will find them in Metairie but not downtown.  It may be worth the cab fare to save that much money on a hotel!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got decent rates at Hotel St Marie and the Best Western French Quarter.

New Orleans is a very busy city (cenventions, school events, sports, basic tourism), while you may think the rates are high, they are probably normal for that timeframe. They are lowest in the summer months, but I would persoanlly not wnat to have a ton of out of towners there in that heat. September may still even be pretty hot.

They will likely go up in price too, so the sooner you secure a group rate, the better.
  • louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    New Orleans is still a big convention city, so there a lots of visitors needing hotel rooms.  I would highly recommend that you fill out the form on the New Orleans Convention and Visitors website. You'll start getting quotes from a number of hotels and different rates. You can just respond to the ones that fall in your price range.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hotel-foe-out-of-town-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:a700ab0b-2322-4ac1-be53-f6b0247c16d8Post:672a379d-62b6-43b7-85a1-10c5a1a2f3f7">Re: Hotel for out of town guests?????</a>:
    [QUOTE]New Orleans is still a big convention city, so there a lots of visitors needing hotel rooms. <strong> I would highly recommend that you fill out the form on the New Orleans Convention and Visitors website. You'll start getting quotes from a number of hotels and different rates. You can just respond to the ones that fall in your price range.
    </strong>Posted by louisianablue[/QUOTE]

This is what we did - and got a good rate just outside the quarter (a block over) for $99 a night in March. :) We're all coming from Dallas so I had to find a place for almost everyone.
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also getting married in Sept 2012 in FQ and did my room block at the Chateau Bourbon where the rates were $169/night. I will tell you that this was a reasonable rate based on the research that my WP and I both did. That time of year is very busy for conventions and weddings. Also don't forget that the Saints will have started their NFL season by that time and if there is a home game the weekend of your wedding, that is going cause room availability to go down and rates to go up (schedule won't come out until March or April, but keep that in mind and maybe pass that on to your guests to encourage them to book their rooms early).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We had a block of rooms at Country Inn & Suites, which is right by the French Quarter (315 Magazine Street - between Poydras and Canal), and were very pleased.  It was Halloween/Voodoo Fest weekend, but they gave us a really good rate and were always good to work with - quick with replying to emails and very helpful!
  • edited December 2011
    You can also submit a request to www.hotelplanner.com and the various hotels that fit your criteria will send you a bid, which you can accept or not.  We used this service for our Memorial Day weekend 2012 wedding and we got a great rate
    ($119/night) at the Astor Crowne Plaza (in the FQ).
  • edited December 2011
    I booked Le Richeleu which is in the back of the FQ (close to the French Market). They gave me great rates for regular rooms ($99) and suites ($150). It is a lovely, quiet hotel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    try the Quality Inn and Suites. It's the highest recommmended hotel on trip advisor, and on eof hte cheapest hotels near the Quarter. they wouldn't do a room block for me, but I've been sending guests there.
  • citybayougirlcitybayougirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got rooms at the Hilton on South Peters they had reasonable rates, I'm not sure how far that is from the quarter
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All great advice.  I would only add that you might want to get room blocks at a few difefrent hotels, to provide you r guests with a variety of price points, and also to accomodate the number of your guests, as most hotels only offer blocks of 10-20 rooms.

We contacted hotels directly and also used hotelplanner.com.  Both worked well.  We got a rate of $130 from the Whitney Whyndham (2 blocks from the FQ) through hotelplanner, for our Feb 11 wedding.  The Prince Conti also offers competetive rates for the FQ.
  • edited December 2011
    I got a block of rooms at the Hilton on St. Charles ave and a block at the Hotel Provincial...they were a bit pricey but there were a ton of conventions in town that weekend and the Saints played the Colts at home so compared to the price of rooms on priceline for the weekend we got an awesome deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards