Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Churches

Now that we've settled on having our reception at TCC and the date, we're in search of a church.  We'd love to have it at Heinz Memorial Chapel but unfortunately since we didn't quite have our location or date at the beginning of Sept, they only have early day availability on the day we've picked.  There are a ton of other beautiful churches/cathedrals in Oakland/Shadyside but I'm finding that many of the Catholic parishes require a Catholic ceremony per the Pittsburgh Catholic Diocese - at least that's what I had interpreted, so please correct me if I'm wrong.  Now the tricky part is that my DF is Catholic and I'm non-denominational Christian.  We'd like to incorporate both aspects to the ceremony and plan on having both my childhood pastor, as well as a priest.  I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of this so if anyone has any advice or suggestions for a church, please let me know! 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Churches

• jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well, you're not going to be able to do those things in a catholic church. but i believe there is a church in shadyside that a lot of knotties defer to in situations like these-maybe one of them will speak up, unless it is on the vendors list.

we were going to have a duel ceremony, but it became difficult finding a catholic priest that would: a) agree to officiate a ceremony outside of the church; and b) agree to work with another priest. i found plenty of episcopal priests that were more than willing to work with a catholic priest for a duel ceremony...but not the other way around. catholic priests are allowed to do ceremonies outside of the church (a very recent change to the rules), but not many of them actually agree to do it.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Carly!  I had a similar situation and was happy with my result- let me go find a loooong post I wrote to someone else semi-recently and copy it in here.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, read through this post about a similar subject:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_im-catholic-hes-presbyterian

And let me know what other questions you have.  I'm happy to help, this was a big area of focus (and sometimes tension) for us in our planning process.

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    That's a lot of useful information.  I'm not opposed to holding it in a Catholic church, as long as, like you (LaFemme), there are some specific things that aren't brought up and my childhood pastor can co-officiate. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, the trick is discussing things early and often with your FI, with the church, and with whatever combination of priests/ pastors you decide upon.  Let us know what you end up deciding and feel free to contact me with any other questions you might have!

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards