Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering... Makes me want to...

SPEND ALL MY OWN MONEY! lol

We aren't going to get married until may 2013, so I know I don't need to / should register yet. (which I haven't). But just browsing and it makes me want to buy stuff. Especially since you shouldn't register since things might not be in stock later. So that means if I like it I should buy it right??? Hehe

Has anyone else felt this way? A good way to look without being tempted to just buy it yourself?

Re: Registering... Makes me want to...

• Options
    meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL yes you do have to resist the temptation to buy things for yourself.  I know it will be a while, but it will get easier once you actually register and you can "stalk" your registry online to see that people are purchasing the items for you.  (At least, you can stalk your registry at Bed Bath and Beyond...not sure what other places do since I'm only registered there).

You definitely don't want to start buying pieces from a pattern that ends up being discontinued before your wedding.  And don't forget they might come out with something new that you like better, or your taste might change.  By this time next year you can start registering so maybe your family can start getting you a few items as holiday gifts :-)  From firsthand experience it will go by quicker than you think!

Try focusing on some of the things you can do now (i.e. choose vendors, dress, wedding party, schedule engagement/bridal portraits) and it will keep you busy!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Actually no.  The reason I put them on my registry is so I didn't have to buy them myself LOL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm with Hoboken. I'm tempted to buy things that are true gaps in my housekeeping - the new pasta pot as the old one falls apart, the second cake pan for when we go on baking sprees these days, but then I remind myself we don't really need them. I can make do for another 11 months.
  • Options
    I just finished my first batch of Christmas Cookies and it was all I could do not to rush to the store and buy the kitchenaid mixer on our registry. Luckily, I live in the middle of nowhere and this was not a possibility :)
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OMG I am TOTALLY with you on this one!  There are a lot of things on there we don't need, just want but there are a few items we REALLY need now.  Like a coffee maker.  Omg I am so sick of no coffee or instant coffee.  I know I could go buy a cheapo one, but it's hard.  I'm hoping some of my family members will get it for us for Christmas/my birthday (which is the 30th).

However, I was a little bad and did use my credit card rewards points to get a KitchenAid mixer, but I don't feel terrible because it didn't actually cost me anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone on this one! :) I really want new bedding, just a few things since I have a puppy and it seems like that's the only thing she enjoys destroying other than her own toys! But maybe I'll get that for Christmas! WILL RESIST THE TEMPTATION!!
  • Options
    Oh man I'm totally with you.  I'm not getting married until April 2013 (most likely - setting an official date over Christmas break), but I'm graduating from law school this coming May, so we're going to register in March or April in case any family members decide to get me graduation gifts.  We know we'll have a few things get discontinued, but it's worth it to us.  Our birthdays are spread through the year also, so we figure it be useful for 2012 bday gifts.

Problem is, I actually HAVE bought a few things in all the looking I've been doing... We are going to register for fiesta, but we want most of our serving pieces to be in marigold.  Well turns out Fiesta discontinued certain pieces (like the sugar and creamer set) back in September, and rumor has it they are discontinuing the entire marigold line by the end of 2012.  So I've bought the key serving pieces as I've run into them in the last month or so...I'm pretty sure I bought the last marigold sauceboat in my city two days ago.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard the same thing about the fiesta marigold (which of course is one of our colors), I'm just hoping since a lot of people "collect" fiesta that it will be available in the future on amazon, ebay, etc.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5d541be9-35e7-4a8b-a774-12e4c910ddf4Post:e97e14cd-8bd4-4a34-9211-138d277de9e1">Re: Registering... Makes me want to...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard the same thing about the fiesta marigold (which of course is one of our colors), I'm just hoping since a lot of people "collect" fiesta that it will be available in the future on amazon, ebay, etc.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]
    How do you ladies hear about these discontinuations? Marigold isn't one of our colors (turquoise & tangerine), but it would be nice to know when these things go out so I can run around & buy it all too!<div>
    </div><div>To the OP, it is really hard for me too. I love shopping. ALL shopping. Clothes, shoes, jewelry, hair products...I can go on forever. I was never into apartment shopping since I never had an apartment! Now that we will, I'm obsessed with kitchen gadgets, dishware & decorative pillows. So far, I've only bought some picture frames. I might need to start blocking myself from certain sites. It's so hard!</div>
  • Options
    Just wait till you have them from showers but can't use them! Just as bad... I have a room full of gifts from my two showers, but aren't using them till our wedding in 2 months. So making cookies by hand while my new kitchenaid is 15 feet away in a box with new cake sheets etc etc
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5d541be9-35e7-4a8b-a774-12e4c910ddf4Post:b5bcfb6a-7ed4-43f6-99ef-ff84b17ec27f">Re: Registering... Makes me want to...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just wait till you have them from showers but can't use them! Just as bad... I have a room full of gifts from my two showers, but aren't using them till our wedding in 2 months. So making cookies by hand while my new kitchenaid is 15 feet away in a box with new cake sheets etc etc
    Posted by AZMagnini14[/QUOTE]
    I never understood why you can't use gifts before the wedding. I get the idea that 'what if you don't get married and have to return them,' or 'it's a wedding gift and you haven't gotten married yet,' but why does it have to be so complicated?? Who's gonna know if I use it before? In my case, I probably won't have a chance to anyway, but I still don't see why it's that big of a deal.
  • Options
    I KNOW!!  It feels like a shopping list... I actually did break down and buy a skillet that I found out was going to be discontinued.  I justified it by telling myself that I hadn't cooked with that kind before so I should probably test it out to make sure I really do ike it before other people start buying me other peices of the set :)  
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    With the fiesta marigold I just sort of started noticing that stores started carrying fewer and fewer pieces that I wanted... and that I knew existed at one point.

I checked online, and there was an announcement about how marigold was the 75th anniversary color, and they were doing 75 weeks of production for everything, and then another year or so of the core pieces.  The 75 weeks ended in September.

You can check now and then to see when colors are going in and out by googling it.  Rlavach, I think you're probably safe with tangerine since it's the only shade of orange they currently carry - you might want to check turquoise since it's sort of close to peacock.  They bring out a new color each year or so and then retire one or two at the same time.  I don't think they're going to retire the core colors - scarlet, cobalt, tangerine, shamrock, and sunflower - but the others come and go.  Apparently there's a shareholders meeting annually to pick the next color and to retire the ones that don't sell as well... and people have been vying for magenta/hot pink for awhile :)  I so want to be a part of that committee lol.  I've been waiting for a true blue - like crayola blue - for years.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5d541be9-35e7-4a8b-a774-12e4c910ddf4Post:33b315f3-acff-43d8-9e4a-835485f08b9c">Re: Registering... Makes me want to...</a>:
    [QUOTE]With the fiesta marigold I just sort of started noticing that stores started carrying fewer and fewer pieces that I wanted... and that I knew existed at one point. I checked online, and there was an announcement about how marigold was the 75th anniversary color, and they were doing 75 weeks of production for everything, and then another year or so of the core pieces.  The 75 weeks ended in September. You can check now and then to see when colors are going in and out by googling it.  Rlavach, I think you're probably safe with tangerine since it's the only shade of orange they currently carry - you might want to check turquoise since it's sort of close to peacock.  They bring out a new color each year or so and then retire one or two at the same time.  I don't think they're going to retire the core colors - scarlet, cobalt, tangerine, shamrock, and sunflower - but the others come and go.  Apparently there's a shareholders meeting annually to pick the next color and to retire the ones that don't sell as well... and people have been vying for magenta/hot pink for awhile :)  I so want to be a part of that committee lol.  I've been waiting for a true blue - like crayola blue - for years. Edit: link  <a href="http://www.hlchina.com/fiestacolors.htm" rel='nofollow'>http://www.hlchina.com/fiestacolors.htm</a>
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]
    WOW, I had no idea this company had been around so long! According to their website, Tangerine started in 2003, but Turquoise is from 1988! Yikes, I was only 2 years old! Peacock came out in 2005, so I guess there is a chance they could get rid of Turquoise, but it's been around so long! Oh, how I love colors :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards