Not Engaged Yet

So... I need a hobby...

(Thanks for the advice on my earlier post ladies!)

So, I've come to the realization, thanks to your help, that I need a hobby. I think ive been so focused on weddings and engagements and moving forward because I dont do anything else to fill my time.

I know its kinda silly, but ive always wanted to be a ballerina... Only problem is that i dont make enough money to pay for the type of formal classes i would like, and my university isnt offering beginner ballet any time soon.  While my parents pay for my school, the roof over my head, food, medicine, etc. (aka necessities) I pay for everything else. (and with gas prices the way they are, what was previously a pretty well paying job for my point in life, theres not much left anymore...)

All the hobbies ive come up with so far cost a fair amount in start up gear, etc.

Any ideas????
Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: So... I need a hobby...

• cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Crocheting. A crocheting needle costs about $3 and yarn is only about $5 a skein (or whatever they are called). You can spend hours online watching youtube videos that will teach you how to do it. I just finished a baby blanket for my as-yet-unborn godchild. It's great for getting your mind off other things.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a lot of female friends?  For a while, I had basically none, and that was when I was most obsessed with the idea of getting engaged.

(...Actually, no.  I was most obsessed after I knew that he had the ring, but that's a different issue...)

Anyway, once I got several good female friends in my life -- plus the ladies on here! -- things got a lot easier and I was a lot happier in general.
  • edited December 2011
    I like to shop.  It's a good hobby.  Look for sales.
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about looking to see what your local rec center has? Mine has all sort of classes like zumba, step aerobics, and whatnot. I took adult dance at myFSIL's dance studio. There it was about $40/month and my class was full of 30+ crazy women. I had a blast.

Subscribe to LivingSocial and Groupon. They have all sorts of deals on activities, dinners, and hair salons. I got 5 Zumba classes for$12 once.
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like video games.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend writing letters and sending care packages to soldiers. Check out the sites:

www.anysoldier.com
    http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/

I also suggest gardening. Do your parents have a backyard? This is the perfect time to plan out your summer garden?

I recommend the following books:
    http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Homestead-Produce-food-quarter/dp/1603421386
    http://www.amazon.com/Made-Scratch-Discovering-Pleasures-Handmade/dp/1603425322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306683767&sr=1-1

I got a beginners knitting set from a craft store here- but haven't done anything with it yet.

You can also look at www.etsy.com to see if there is anything on there you would be interested in trying. Those people are so darned crafty!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I second the local rec center idea - they'll have different types of classes and you can usually try a couple different ones for not too much money.

Gardening, cooking, baking...all things that are productive and a fun hobby.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ballet! My specialty! I have some ideas for you! Will come back in a little while to share more; I'm on my iPhone right now.
  • edited December 2011
    I felt the same and needed to take something up so I bought knitting stuff cost me hardly anything and easy to do anytime. I go to dance classes, Ballet and Zumba but I'm in the UK so can't suggest anywhere specific - my ballet class is just the adult class at my local childrens dance school (evening classes). Running is good and cheap if you do it on the streets.Reading books. Also recommend dinner parties with friends as researching recipes takes time and buying ingredients/practicing also takes up time. Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    edited December 2011
    I like running. The only start up cost is a good pair of shoes if you don't already have them. Most shoes are $60-$100, depending on which kind you buy.

Volunteering is another good one. If you like animals, you could volunteer at your local animal shelter or SPCA. Animal shelters are almost always looking for volunteers.
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Reading.  Used book stores are your friend.   :)  See if there are any groups/clubs you can join.  Hiking is also cheep.  All you need is hiking shoes (or even tennis shoes). 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    edited December 2011
    Hey Lindsay! I'm a trained dancer, so if you want to talk ballet, I'm available! I may be able give you some ideas on how to get some training. I'm going to send you a PM (private message) with my email address. Zip me an email and maybe I can help!
  • edited December 2011
    www.meetup.com and search on things you are interested in... most major cities it's pretty good :-)

A lot of the events are very cheap and sometimes people are starting groups so you can find things like really cheap or free yoga classes.

Also look in your local newspaper for things like free open air movies, author presentations in local book stores, and free art walks or free museum/zoo days.
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What about organizing?  I mean, if you're living at home your parents probably have about 800 bajillion things that need organizing.  Unless you're the polar opposite of my parents' house...we're a wreck most times.  Anyways, if you're good, you can also turn it into a part-time job.  Seriously, there are SO many people who need help with that sort of thing.

What do you really love?  If I had the time to do it, I'd volunteer at the aquarium around here.  I know way too much about fish to keep it all inside and it be healthy.

Pick up a book or two on a topic you love.  And then find a way to share that with people.  Who knows...you might eventually be able to turn it into a money-making activity. :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I do take dance classes and they can be expensive.  I also crochet in some free time, but I'm not good at it.  I realy enjoy reading and my netflix movies.  Thise are the thingd that keep me busy these days.  I also get involved in community theater, mostly in performing.

Anniversary

• fridaysdancefridaysdance member
    edited December 2011
    I danced for years through a studio, but also taught myself a lot through videos on youtube and other sites. Heck, I taught myself to play piano that way too. If you ever want to talk dance stuff, message me.
    I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards