Snarky Brides

Craigslist for jobs?

I mentioned before that Scott is looking for a better job, and I'll probably be looking for a better paying one at the end of the school year. At the library today a patron I ran into in the career section mentioned that he has found a lot of leads through Craigslist.

Do you think Craigs is a legit site for job searching or is it just a waist of time? I can't see big companies posting ads there for some reason.

Re: Craigslist for jobs?

• I found my current job on craigslist. I guess the only bad thing is that hundreds of people apply for these jobs, and most employers have it sent through their email, so it takes time to hear back from them with all those emails. 
  • I tried posting a job through Craigslist and I got nothing in my in box besides crazy people and penis enlargement solicitations. I won't be posting again. I'm sure there are some legitimate jobs on craigslist, but if an employer is going to post there, they will likely post to the other job boards as well.

Are you a member of linked in? That is, by far, the fastest growing place to network and find viable career opportunities. You can join groups that specialize in your field and each group has it's own job board. It's awesome. It takes a little while to figure out how to take advantage of all that it has to offer, but once you get the hang of it, it can be really beneficial.
  • I second linkedin as a great resource.

I work as a receptionist, but I also do a lot with our HR department as far as pre-screening resumes. We do post on craigslist, but we get a massive amount from them and, I'm not going to lie, sometimes they get lost in the shuffle.

That being said, I did get this job from craigslist. But it was also a post by a staffing agency, and I had to work as a temp for awhile. IDK how they handle their craigslist ads or if they get less of them for whatever reason. Who knows.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• katiewhompuskatiewhompus member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Ooh I will check linkedin and see what that gives :)

That's the hard part Pridee. H is the main income for us, so temping/part time isn't an option (plus he needs benefits).
  • My sister found her last two jobs on CraigsList. Personally, I like it because it's updated frequently but you do have to look through a bunch of crap jobs sometimes. The problem is that a lot of times the job listing doesn't list the company information so sometimes you don't know what you're walking into.

I, for one, am going to take PP's advice and check out Linkedin because I'm on it but I haven't tried to look for jobs on it.
  • I think it really varies by location. I have found jobs on Craigslist, roommates on CL and sold my car there. It is huge here in the Bay Area.

And you are right about big companies not posting there. A lot of large companies will only post on their corporate site.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've only found side jobs, like private tutoring, on CL.  I used larger sites (actually, one specifically for teachers) to find my "real" job. 
  • I got my current job off of Craigslist. When I tell people here that fact they don't believe me. I think it is hilarious but it is true!
  • I think you just have to be careful and do your research for any jobs that you pursue off of CL, but then again - that's pretty much true of any job.  It can be pretty easy to spot a bogus job listing - but some of them can be more sophisticated.  Just don't commit to anything unless you can confirm its legit.

Btw, M&M - love that new sig!
    panther
  • I live in a college town so the big job sites like Monster comes up with job opportunities an hour or two away. I always click the "less that 20 miles" thing but it still fails to give me very many local results, thus my need/appreciation for CraigsList.
  • I found my job on Craigslist, so did my fiance.  There are scammers on all of the websites, especially now with so many people out of work; it's prime time for scam artist. I advise you to open a separate email account for job hunting, so when you contact a spammer, they won't have your regular e-mail address.  And of course it goes without saying that you shouldn't give your social security number out to anyone unless they hire you and you're filling out your w-2.  As a rule of thumb, if I'm filling out a job app online and I find things spelled wrong, I immediately stop filling it out and move on, legit companies know how to spell.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, temping SUUUUCKED! Plus, I have worked here since October, so if I had gotten hired straight away I'd have vacation by the wedding, but I temped until January so I have NONE. I almost didn't take the week after the wedding off but I realized for my own sanity I had to, even if it meant no moneys that week. :(

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• I had horrible luck with Monster, lol.  After I graduated I posted my resume with my broadcasting experience and listed what kinds of jobs I was looking for.  Somehow I got contacted by a Lowe's in like, Mississippi.  It was the most random thing ever.  No way was I going to travel several states away to take a random job that had nothing to do with my qualifications.
    panther
  • Best site I've found for jobs: www.indeed.com. It pulls from all the major job sites (monster, jobs.com, etc.) and updates every minute. You can specify location, miles away, PT/FT, salary, whatever. They just list it all. I found a ton of mental health jobs on it prior to getting the job I have now (which I heard about through a colleague). Good luck to Scott!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_craigslist-jobs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:145005e4-a9c3-4de0-842b-74dd4c101ed0Post:e9a4326f-0cba-4da2-a63d-226919e892b7">Re: Craigslist for jobs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you just have to be careful and do your research for any jobs that you pursue off of CL, but then again - that's pretty much true of any job.  It can be pretty easy to spot a bogus job listing - but some of them can be more sophisticated.  Just don't commit to anything unless you can confirm its legit. Btw, <strong>M&M - love that new sig!</strong>
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Mike made it for me because he knows I love me some T-rex :) Their little arms are so cute!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_craigslist-jobs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:145005e4-a9c3-4de0-842b-74dd4c101ed0Post:72da88b9-8686-42be-8d43-3b40c06f54a9">Re: Craigslist for jobs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in a college town so the big job sites like Monster comes up with job opportunities an hour or two away. I always click the "less that 20 miles" thing but it still fails to give me very many local results, thus my need/appreciation for CraigsList.
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

That's what he's getting with Monster too. Everything is over a 45 minute drive, so unless the salary is fantastic that's not giving us anything better. He put in a few applications yesterday so hopefully we'll get lucky right away. One is a very low stress, low resonsibility job 5 miles away for about $3/hour more than he's making now. I won't lie, that will be very nice, especially with kids.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_craigslist-jobs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:145005e4-a9c3-4de0-842b-74dd4c101ed0Post:3973d3c0-da21-44d2-9151-5610414f0db0">Re: Craigslist for jobs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Craigslist for jobs? : Thanks! Mike made it for me because he knows I love me some T-rex :) <strong>Their little arms are so cute!</strong>
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Lol, and see, only you would say that.  That's just win.
    panther
  • Katie, I applied to many jobs on craigslist but only if the company was legit. If the company name wasn't listed on the ad,and/or I couldn't find their website online I didn't apply. They have a lot of great listings. Also check washingtonpost.com/jobs.
  • It's a good place to find a handjob.
  • I found my Assistant on Craig's List. There are a lot of legit ads there for all sorts of jobs. You just have to be careful. Monster-yuk. I would neither advertise nor seek a job on Monster. I am sure someone here got there dream job or candidate from Monster, but my experience with it was not good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards