Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Participation dances? Yes or no?

Are they needed? Do they "make" a wedding? FI doesn't dance to them, so he told me to decide. I originally wanted the cha cha slide folowed by the electric slide. But cha cha has a lot of jumping. But I still don't know the electric slide. I wanted to learn it by the wedding, just haven't yet.

Anyway, i was thinking of cutting them out to leave more time for my bouquet songs, but not sure if the songs would be missed if they weren't there.

Are you having cha cha, electric, macerana or cotton eyed joe at your reception? Or not?

Re: Participation dances? Yes or no?

• bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What's a "bouquet song" and how many are you having.  Whether to have the group dances is a personal call.  The only group dance that we're actively planning is for the kids in attendance - the Cupide Shuffle.
  • edited December 2011

I think the music at the wedding is entirely your preference.  If these songs and the silly dances that go along with them are what make you want to get up and party, than by all means, include them.  There are no manadatory songs or dances, just play what makes you happy.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on preference! It is what it is--whatever you want to use--use it!

Bouquet toss/Garter toss takes not alot of time so do not worry about that!

It really depends on what you want, type of crowd, etc!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for responding!

We aren't doing the garter at all. And I'm not doing a bouquet toss - I'm passing out flowers. So we have to plan that it will take an entire song. And also FI wants to have the"anniversary dance". and our DJ said that all these things take time. When you factor in the intros, first dance, parent dances, cake etc. So it'sd just something to think about.

So it really came down to not which I wanted more, because I wanted both. But which would I miss more. And I really want the flower songs.

So I figured I'd cut the participation songs, just wanted to check here to see the feedback from you girls.

Thanks!
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it is about what you like. I personally don't like them at all. I feel like a lot of people don't know how to do them and end up sitting out and just waiting for them to be over. But if you feel like your guests will have fun with it, then go for it.
    Photobucket
  • angiems97angiems97 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family and friends and I enjoy these dances so we are having some.  It is a personal preference.  I enjoy YMCA, chicken dance, Cha Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, and Electric Slide.  Macarena is too long of a song for me although I do it when I am at weddings!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bekahjane89bekahjane89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing them, for a couple of reasons... 1)I don't want a bunch of "club" dancing at my wedding and they will help prevent that 2) People who usually don't feel comfortable dancing will usually be willing to dance with these because the steps are easy to catch onto and they can hide in the "crowd". I would just be certain that you don't do them back to back, they're longer songs and take energy!
    Good luck!!
    Beka Lou
  • edited December 2011
    I'm only doing one--Thriller. I hate Cha Cha Slide, Macarena, YMCA, Chicken Dance, and Cotton Eyed Joe at weddings. my parents and my FI have also requested that these songs were banned. we're keeping Thriller because my aunt and uncle know the dance perfectly. but for the most part, it's just awkward to watch older people in their dressy clothes trying to do these dances that, honestly, fell out of style in junior high.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    We're only doing Cupid Shuffle because my mom and Maid of Honor and the best man all requested it.  If someone wants one of the others they can request the DJ play it, I'll have no problem with that.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards