African American Weddings

Someone please tell me why my sister looking at wedding dresses similar to mine?

So the H and I were married earlier this month(let's here it for June 9th!!). And my sister is getting married next year. She sent over some pictures of dresses that she is looking at and..why do they both look similar to my dress? I even sent her the stock pic of my dress and was like 'what about this one?' She was like oh that's cute. I was like um sis that's my dress.  Goodness just a mess!

Prior to my wedding she sent over a lot of strapless mermaid style dresses. Which would look phenomenal on her!

She's always been like this since we were little with both me and my other sister. It's flattering and I love my little sis but it drives me crazy! Anywho just needed to vent. She still has time to change her mine.

This was my dress. It's simple but it was the only thing that held back the girls so we weren't fighting the camera and of course I loved how I felt in it!!

These are the two dresses my sis sent me that she is looking at getting.

This is the dress she had decided on a couple of weeks before my wedding..It's gorgeous!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Someone please tell me why my sister looking at wedding dresses similar to mine?

• Imitation is the highest form of flattery ;)

My dress is very similar. I will attach a pic. Initially I went into the dress fitting with a totally different dress in mind. Halter style dresses are not the fashion rave at the moment so when I first saw mine on the rack I was like "ummmm.." but when I put it on it was like BAM BOOM!

So maybe your sister had an idea of what she wanted but after seeing your dress up close and personal she decided she wanted a similiar style. Halter dress are VERY flattering when they are on...and look much better in person than in pics (what I've noticed anyway).

I would hate to think she's trying to "one-up" you on your wedding day....

And congrats btw way on your wedding!!!!! :))

My dress (its in Ivory and not white):

• Thanks girlie. Mine was in Ivory too. I love the look of ivory!
  • Is this the same sister that was going to get married a month before or after you? If so, glad she changed her mind. I know it's annoying but really everyone is just going to be saying, oh that's nice, her sister let her borrow her dress. LOL..I mean why would she want to wear the same style dress you did. I was a bridesmaid in quite a few weddings before being engaged and the only thing I had in mind while dress shopping is that I didn't want my dress to look anything like my friends' dresses. Ah well! That's an eye roller and keep it moving :-)
    Anniversary
  • Elizabeth80Elizabeth80 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Hey girlie! You had me rolling with this <strong>"everyone is just going to be saying, oh that's nice, her sister let her borrow her dress. LOL"</strong>  And nope this is not the one who got married before me. She did end up getting married, and we're all good. This is my other sister lol Praise Him!!

And exactly what you said. Why would you even want something similar to someone elses? We're really close but sometime's I'm like does the elevator go to the top or is it stuck?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_someone-please-tell-me-why-my-sister-looking-at-wedding-dresses-similar-to-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:2c6392bd-b838-4e22-bd0e-d30c53a20669Post:511ecc9e-6e3e-4859-902d-92e6a293fd15">Re: Someone please tell me why my sister looking at wedding dresses similar to mine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this the same sister that was going to get married a month before or after you? If so, glad she changed her mind. I know it's annoying but really everyone is just going to be saying, oh that's nice, her sister let her borrow her dress. LOL..I mean why would she want to wear the same style dress you did. I was a bridesmaid in quite a few weddings before being engaged and the only thing I had in mind while dress shopping is that I didn't want my dress to look anything like my friends' dresses. Ah well! That's an eye roller and keep it moving :-)
    Posted by rowenac82[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_someone-please-tell-me-why-my-sister-looking-at-wedding-dresses-similar-to-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:2c6392bd-b838-4e22-bd0e-d30c53a20669Post:511ecc9e-6e3e-4859-902d-92e6a293fd15">Re: Someone please tell me why my sister looking at wedding dresses similar to mine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this the same sister that was going to get married a month before or after you? If so, glad she changed her mind.<strong>I know it's annoying but really everyone is just going to be saying, oh that's nice, her sister let her borrow her dress. LOL</strong>..I mean why would she want to wear the same style dress you did. I was a bridesmaid in quite a few weddings before being engaged and the only thing I had in mind while dress shopping is that I didn't want my dress to look anything like my friends' dresses. Ah well! That's an eye roller and keep it moving :-)
    Posted by rowenac82[/QUOTE]

Honestly, maybe it's just me but I can't even remember what kind of dress my friend wore at her wedding in March let alone a year ago. I'm sure 90% of the guests will have no clue.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Elizabeth80Elizabeth80 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012

I agree but with family you're looking at these pictures side by side hanging up on a wall or on a mantle. So its more noticeable then a girlfriend who happens to wear the same dress.
    It's not going to be the end of my world or anything its just annoying that with out fail she always seems to find these original ideas that are actually someone elses. I'll give it a few months and she'll go to another friends wedding or see a celebrity wedding on tv and she'll send me new pics of this unique bridal look. And I'll be happy for her then too. I just needed to vent.

• Lmao.... Imitation may be a form of flattery...but not in my damn wedding dress! think of it this way, if she wears a similar dress, everyone will know she's jockin your style. Ain't nothin like the original :-)
  • Lmbo!!! This all day long!!! So true. I just had to change the subject because lil sis was working a nerve.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_someone-please-tell-me-why-my-sister-looking-at-wedding-dresses-similar-to-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:2c6392bd-b838-4e22-bd0e-d30c53a20669Post:b713888a-c0cc-4417-b197-2e4edddeeb62">Re: Someone please tell me why my sister looking at wedding dresses similar to mine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lmao.... <u><strong>Imitation may be a form of flattery...but not in my damn wedding dress</strong>!</u> think of it this way, if she wears a similar dress, everyone will know she's jockin your style. Ain't nothin like the original :-)
    Posted by soontobehasrouni[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards