Pennsylvania-Central

engagement ring shopping....

My boyfriend and I had the great talk of going to go look at engagment rings :)
Can anyone direct us where to go? We are trying to stay away from places in the mall. (kay, zalez and such)
I am in the Lancaster area, he is in the York area. Also can you give us your review on a place or tell your experience
thanks so much!

Re: engagement ring shopping....

• writergirl28writergirl28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we were ring shopping, we found it helpful to start at the big chain stores in the mall since they usually have a large selection of styles to look at.  The bad part about doing that was the sales people at most of the chain stores were really pushy. 

In Park City Mall, we had a great experience with Helzberg Diamonds. The sales people were very knowledgeable, not pushy and even took us to a microscope and showed the stones up close and from multiple angles so you could really see the color, clarity and any imperfections.

My FI eventually purchased my ring from Kay Jewelers because it was exactly the ring we both wanted and in our price range and he couldn't find it anywhere else. 
    I also highly recommend Finch Jewelers on Columbia Ave in Lancaster (it's in the shopping center with M & T Bank, Tuesday Mornings, and Hong Kong Garden-Wheatland shopping center I think it is). I had my e-ring appraised there and they were great! It's a small family owned place. I stopped in on my lunch break to make an appt for an appraisal and they took my ring right then and I picked it up on the way home from work!  When I picked it up, he said they carried a band that would match my band almost perfect or they could make me a custom ring for $800-1100. I would check them out!

Hope that helps and sorry it was a little long! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sparklechic20sparklechic20 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    thats awesome help, was def thinking of visiting Finch. that will be the next stop
    thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    We found a bunch of rings in our price range at the Kays outlet store at Tanger outlet. They even have rings very discounted, some second hand or some that were on layaway and never picked up. I like unique, one of a kind pieces and we ended up getting my ring from Classic Estate Jewelry on Columbia Avenue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We got our rings at Koser's in Mount Joy. Wonderful customer service!!  They have a bunch of unique rings in all different price ranges. The really cool thing is that you can individually pick out a center stone for certain settings...so you can go as big or as small as you like.  They also have rings with the center stones included too.  It's a class act place.  Beautiful show room, I can't say more about how awesome they are!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My ring is from about a half hour south of York in Cockeysville Maryland, Keith Nusinov Jewelers. I am extremely biased as they are my soon to be inlaws but I love their store, love them, and recommend them to anyone :) Very personal service (even first time customers who aren't soon to be related are treated like family), do most of their own work on site, customize anything, estate jewelery, rare stones.. Keith secretly brought my ring and met us in Antigua when my fiance couldn't get to the store before our trip due to a snow storm.. okay maybe that was because fiance is his son but the rest is true for everyone!!
  • amatadeiamatadei member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you feel like taking a drive at all, go to Robbins Diamonds just over the Delaware border (although they have other stores that are in PA). The service was wonderful (we're definitely going back for our wedding bands). But, the best part with going to DE is that there is no sales tax on a purchase that is pretty hefty as is!
  • hlora953hlora953 member
    edited December 2011
    My FI went to Brent L. Miller's in Lancaster. He raved about it forever and how nice Carol was in helping him pick out my engagement ring. Carol, the saleslad, worked with FI to create my ring. He had pictures of what I liked and he picked what he liked best out of those pictures. Carol also took the time to show him the difference between diamonds and how clear they can be. So they found a setting they liked similar to the pictures I showed FI, and then worked to find the perfect diamond for it. This is also where we got our wedding rings and they were more then helpful then.
  • sparklechic20sparklechic20 member
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much for all the advice!!! I cant wait to share the places with Dan and to go look!!!
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance who lives in Leaders Height right outside of York went to White's Jewelers. They took my great grandmothers diamond from her engagement ring and placed two rubies on either side. They called him with updates and the lady who helped him sent him a card thanking him for the business!!! Top notch customer service!!
    "I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." Walt Disney Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kathleenmaevekathleenmaeve member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is too late to post but my boyfriend and I went engagement ring shopping just a few weeks ago.  We went to Mountz Jewelers in Carlisle (they also have locations in Harrisburg and Camp Hill) and they were wonderful.  They are a locally-owned and operated business and the quality of their jewelry is wonderful.  My family has always shopped at Mountz for jewelry and I'd recommend them to anyone!  They carry several lines of engagement rings  including Hearts on Fire and the staff was really helpful.

Have fun! I know I did :):)
  • triggerfishtriggerfish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My only advice is, if the engagement ring and the quality of the diamond is very important to you, do a LOT of research!  I mean a LOT of research on diamonds.  Learn about the 4 C's obviously, but also about the different types of certifications, the aspects that define a truly IDEAL cut, etc.  You will almost definitely get ripped off if you go in blind.  We looked at a LOT of crappy overpriced diamonds in this area before going out of state to find the "right" one.  We actually felt sorry for the average Joe Guy who just wants to go out and buy his girl a pretty ring.  Jewelers must salivate at customers like this!  Be informed and let the jewelers know you've done your homework, and they'll start showing you their better stones.  Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards