Nevada-Las Vegas

Budgets?

I am doing this a little backwards -- I've booked our ceremony, reception and photographer first before working on my budget :(  Now I'm starting to get concerned. 

What is a reasonable mid-range budget for 80-100 people?  We're not trying to do this as cheaply as possible, but then again we also aren't trying to throw a luxury wedding.  I know what my personal number is but I don't know whether it is reasonable or not.

Any suggestions?

Re: Budgets?

• "Reasonable" really needs to be decided by you and your FI (or whoever's funding the wedding).  If it's your money, it's up to you how much you're willing to spend for a wedding.  You could easily spend $50K+++ if you wanted to for a wedding of that size.  Alternatively, some brides on this board are able to make a 80-100 person wedding work for under $4K.  As for us, our wedding is somewhere in between those two figures (but we're funding 1/3, my parents are funding 1/3, and his parents are funding 1/3-- so it's not all our money).

I would give your personal number to your FI and gauge his response-- if he has a jaw-drop moment, you guys can re-evaluate and scale back in other areas to ensure you're keeping to what you both believe to be a reasonable figure. ;)
  • Ditto PP. I started with a lower budget but then we decided we wanted to invite more people and have a more elaborate reception so we doubled our budget. I think when all is said and done we will be in the 15 to 20k range for same size group. That includes travel, venues, food and beverages for all and details. If you haven't already I would make a spreadsheet and estimate all areas so you know what you want to splurge more on over other areas and what you can cut back on.
  • If you type your budget into The Knot's budgeter it will give you an estimate about how much you'll probably be spending where.  Not exact... but at least a good place to start to see how much the reception in particular will probably run you.
  • Ditto both PPs!

It totally helps to prioritize what is important to you both. We splurged on our venues but found attire that was inexpensive, no flowers, DIYing several things (guestbook/decor/bouteneers)... no little details that we feel the wedding industry sucks you into... toast flutes, special cake cutting knives... heck.... i dont even want a garter! But that's just us, you have to decide what is important to you!

You have made some huge checks... prioritize with your FI from here on out and research research research! IMO the majority of the $ should go to venue/food/drink.... so now you can check out other aspects and find some deals!  Do you have crafty people you can ask to help you make things? Can you borrow/thrift from family and friends? Check online for daily deals...  You can make it work!
  • This is our day, wedding at cp 2k. LUNCH at Trevi with open bar 3 hours, hors d' horvoures(spelling) and lunch about 100 dollars pp. No dj or dancing.  Dinner is about 35 dollars more pp. Just a rough judgement for you, good luck
  • edited February 2012
    There's some great advice here!!!

I completely agree with spending your money on the things that mean the most to you.  We decided treating our guests to an amazing meal/open bar was most important (since many are coming from outside the country), then photography was #2 (Mike L!).  It really helped to prioritize our funds. 

When we started planning, I began asking friends what they remember from the last wedding they went to.  Many of them remembered open bar/good food/good dancing, etc.  Not ONE remembered the centerpieces, uplighting, favors, or the invitations.  IMO, spend money on the things that are essential to you guys, then what will give your guests a memorable experience.

Also, we budgeted for 100% attendance, per PP, and it looks like we'll be much lower than that.  We'll have probably $1,000 to kick around into other things like a cabana at the pool (squee!).  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards