Not Engaged Yet

NWR : Medical type question/has anyone ever...

had an ultrasound?

No no no, I'm not pregnant! I'm getting a pelvic ultrasound in Jan (womanly issues) and I'm not really sure what to expect.  I've seen them in the movies and such where they rub that senor over a woman's belly and such but is that all there is to it, really?  I'm just not sure what to expect when it happens...anyone have any experience?

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
Murried Bio

Re: NWR : Medical type question/has anyone ever...

• lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had one to look for cysts on my ovaries (none thank God). They make you drink a lot of water and then press on your stomach with that thing, oh and the jelly is cold! and you really want to pee! Honestly its not a big deal, it doesn't hurt, you get the results in a few days. Good LUCK! 
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ok, that doesn't sound so bad...except the water. haha

She told me I had to drink 4 cups (32 oz) of water an hour and a half before...then hold it!! I can't drink a  cup of water without needing to pee!!!lol

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011

Ok, disclaimer ahead, might be too TMI for some...

What kind of ultrasound are you having? Pelvic is similar to what you see on TV (jelly and wand over the pelvic area on the outside). They will make you drink an obscene amount of liquid beforehand, like lzimm stated. Transvaginal is an internal ultrasound...they actually take the scan with the wand inside you. Sounds awful, but scarier than it really is...it can be uncomfortable to have done, but once it's done, it's done. If they're looking for abnormalities in the uterine wall, endometrias, etc., that's probably what you'll have done (transvag).

I've had both done several times (both in treating endo and screening for ovarian cancer) and neither are exactly fun, but the nice thing is once they're done, they're done. You're not in pain afterwards or anything like that. Usually one scan will tell the doc what they need to know. My best advice is to not worry, try your best to relax (will make the process run much smoother), and think happy thoughts until it's over. :)

Best of luck to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

edited December 2011
    I'm having a pelvic ultrasound.  I was a little concerned about it, having never had one, but I'm going to try to just let it happen.  Thanks for the advice:)

Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011

Don't worry, those are honestly the more comfortable of the two. :)

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• MidniteRaeMidniteRae member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never had an ultrasound, but they used an ultrasound type thing including some kind of lotion/jelly when I was in physical therapy for my arm/shoulder. But if my cycle continues to be irregular this week, I will need to get one
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    edited December 2011
    OH god, the peeing thing. My ultrasound was the WORST medical experience of my life. Even worse than breaking both of my wrists at the same time. This is because my GP told me he had his office ladies fax over the ultrasound request to the clinic that I was getting it done at. So the morning of, I show up and they ask for that request sheet. I'm like, wtf? He should've faxed it already. My appointment was at 11, and at that point I already had to pee. They didn't let me pee until about 1:30 because it took that long for my GP to fax a new one over. I ended up getting a UTI after that for holding it for so long.

So, make sure you have everything taken care of, or you might pee yourself!
  • MattsAnnieMattsAnnie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ive had both kinds done also. Like others have said the worst part is trying to hold the pee. I couldnt do it. I was in sooo much pain from tryin I finally gave in and peed about 20  min before the appt. I then started drinking a lot of water again. The nurse didnt notice so I guess it worked out ok!
  • edited December 2011
    I have had both kinds. Funny story, I had one this summer and I had to pee so bad that I thought I would burst. So I go in and the tech starts looking around, bursts out laughing, and says "your bladder is so full I can't see anything!" They made me go try and only let out a little bit of pee. Not easy when you have to go that bad! I had to get another one done a couple months later for a different reason and the nurse at my gyno told me to drink the 3 cups of water the hour before and drink the other cup on the way there. It was much better. If there isn't enough liquid in your bladder they will just do the transvaginal one and it really isn't that bad. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My doc had written orders for a pelvic ultrasound and I ended up with a transvaginal because they couldn't see what they needed to see.  Keep in mind that the ultrasound wand thingie can't "see" through bone so depending on what they're looking for/at and the shape/layout of your hip bones you may start with one and end up with the other.

Maybe TMI here: I had the transvaginal done when I was pg with dd to date my pregnancy.  My sister and I laughed about it later because I told her the internal wand they used looked like Bob Barker's microphone from The Price is Right.  They slap a giant condom on it and give it to you and say "Please insert this." and since then I've referred to it as the Bob Barker Test.  lol
  • edited December 2011
    the type of ultrasound that you get in physicl therapy is totally different than the kind that paige is having. PT ultrasounds are mostly used to get heat deeper into your muscles than what a hot pack/heating pad would in order to get those muscles to relax to help it stretch or to reduce pain. the gel is just a medium so that the soundhead doesnt burn you.

the other kind of ultrasound isnt that bad. i've never been prego, but i've had one for other reasons. you do have to pee pretty bad [haha] but the ultrasound itself isnt painful or anything terrible at all.

edited December 2011

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! I  like the idea that KD had! 3 before and 1 right before I go in.  I'm going to try that and see if it helps.  It sounds like a better idea!

And now I have to pee...LOL

Murried Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards