Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid Getting Married!

So one of my best friends and future bridesmaid just told me that she is planning on getting married on July 3! I knew that she and her fiance were having the hardest time deciding on when to get married because he is going to be getting deployed sometime at the end of the year I believe. The last I heard was they were going to get married in December, but she just called and told me she was going to  get married in just a couple weeks! I am so excited for her. I don't think it's going to be anything big at all but she said she wanted me and my fiance to be there...

Both me and my friend are only 19 so we are both pretty young to get married. Anyways, I need some ideas of what to get her. I want to get her something pretty nice because I know she is going to play a big part in my wedding next year. But, I haven't been to many weddings and have never even bought someone a wedding gift or anything like that so I don't even know where to start or how much I should do because I know its going to be something really small and then she's moving away to another state... : (

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid Getting Married!

• vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does she have a registry?  That's always a good place to start.  Though, I must say, I always appreciate meaningful gifts over something from a registry.  Maybe a photo album of the two of you (something off of shutterfly or mixbook).

I was also going to suggest special wines, but since you are both underage that's not really a good idea.
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely look at the registry, as young as both of you are there are going to be a lot of household items that will be needed and MUCH appreciated. Plus it's always nice to know that your friend is thinking of you when she bakes or cooks, etc.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Since she's moving out of state, get her a gift card to buy things for her new home from a store in her new area (or really for anything in her new area.. restaurants, spas, etc.), or tell her you're going to send a gift after she moves.  Just make sure you actually do send one.  The easiest way is to buy from the store online and have them ship it to her for you.

My sister had to move from NC to VA right after Christmas one year.  I told her I was going to send her gifts down to her late so she didn't have to move them.  She really appreciated me holding onto them and thinking of her enough to know she probably didn't want to move more than she had to.
  • edited December 2011
    I would second the gift card to her favorite store (check where she's living and make sure there's one nearby) or ship her something off her registry after she moves. I moved 4 days after my wedding across the country to where my H lived, and it was a huge pain fitting everything in our car. As pretty as the gift table was, it was much more convenient to have gifts arrive to our new house.
    Anniversary
  • BrinleyjaneBrinleyjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I know she is not going to have a registry I just asked her. She also said she needed stuff for the new apartment (kitchen stuff, decorative stuff, etc.) She also just told me her sister is throwing her a bridal shower next Wednesday...again, her wedding is going to be on July 3.

My new question: Do I need to get presents for BOTH the bridal shower and the wedding? If so, do I get something more "fun" (like shower gels, love poem books, gag gifts, etc.) for the bridal shower and then gift cards, cooking supplies, etc., for the actual wedding? Or does it matter? Or since its so close together and just kinda sprung up randomly do I have to get both gifts?? Maybe just a card for the wedding and a gift bag or tote with goodies for the shower?? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-getting-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:afbacfd8-b066-47f5-9174-88a704ac0dabPost:56f200d3-0463-4e61-8a54-f029bd405ca6">Bridesmaid Getting Married!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So one of my best friends and future bridesmaid just told me that she is planning on getting married on July 3! I knew that she and her fiance were having the hardest time deciding on when to get married because he is going to be getting deployed sometime at the end of the year I believe. The last I heard was they were going to get married in December, but she just called and told me she was going to  get married in just a couple weeks! I am so excited for her. I don't think it's going to be anything big at all but she said she wanted me and my fiance to be there... Both me and my friend are only 19 so we are both pretty young to get married. Anyways, I need some ideas of what to get her. I want to get her something pretty nice because I know she is going to play a big part in my wedding next year. But, I haven't been to many weddings and have never even bought someone a wedding gift or anything like that so I don't even know where to start or how much I should do because I know its going to be something really small and then she's moving away to another state... : (
    Posted by Brinleyjane[/QUOTE]
    I would recommend a nice item off the registry and maybe a book like a military wife's survival guide. I'm a future Army wife and my fiance was deployed in August. Having something to do and keeping busy will be the best for her
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards