Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Dress Colors

I am having a fall wedding, and I have 11 bridesmaids (big families).  We managed to find a dress style that everyone is happy with (surprisingly enough), but I haven't made the final decision on the colors.  I think that having all the girls in one color would just be too much, since there are so many of them.  I was thinking about multiple colors, such as, red, burnt orange, yellow, brown, and dark blue, and having 2 or 3 girls in each color, so they still look matching (again, the dresses are the same style) but it's not overwhelmingly one color.  I have never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids had different colors like this, and was wondering what thoughts anyone had?

Might this work?  Or would it be TOO mismatched?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Colors

• Options
    I honestly wouldn't go that route. That's a LOT of different colors.  I see where you're going with the fall theme, so maybe choose 2-3 related colors in the same family.  That said, I really don't think it will be bad to have them all in the same color.  Would you put groomsmen all in different color tuxes?  Another option would be to choose one color and let each girl pick her own dress style.  That could help things look a little less "matched."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah, I think that's going to be way too much going on.  If you want different colors, maybe bring in multiple shades of a single color, like brown or red.  That way you have some variety, but it's a little more cohesive.

Have you already found one dress that they all like?  Finding a single dress that flatters three or four different people is enough of a headache, I can't possibly imagine finding one dress that makes 11 people happy.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help.  After talking with some of my bridesmaids, they agreed with you as well.  I think we decided on 2 alternating colors, possibly "wine" and "apple", but we want to look at the colors in person before deciding.

And yes, we did manage to find a dress that everyone was happy with, of course, I may just be lucky enough ot have easy-going bridesmaids who don't care if they love it as long as they don't hate it.  Also, maybe they were just happy to have a say in the matter.  From talking to some of the girls, that wasn't the case in other weddings they've been in.  Hopefully the rest of my planning goes as smoothly.

Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think 11 different colors (or say 5-6 rotating colors) would be overload.  Stick to 1 color and let the girls choose their own style to mix it up a little. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards