Ohio-Cincinnati

Rehearsal Dinner

Hi all

I was wondering what types of places people have had researsal dinners at. I know some are casual and some are formal. Does anyone ever have it at a normal restaurant that doesn't have a extra room? My future husband and I love this mexican place called Abuelo's, it has a big open area in the middle but no extra back room for parties. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• edited December 2011
    I say have it where YOU want it. It's your big day and if that's what you want... go for it. Some people like the privacy of their own space. The only thing to consider with an open floor plan is hearing people do speeches. Maybe the restaurant can work something out for you and close it to the public for 2-3 hours. In the end... it's what you want.. :).
  • edited December 2011
    There are a couple of things to think about when having a rehearsal in the middle of a restaurant.

1. How big is your rehearsal dinner group going to be?  the numbers add up pretty quickly for the rehearsal, and even Abuelo's center space might be too small. 
    2. Noise level can be very loud in the main dining room of a restaurant.  Personally, I want the rehearsal to be a time for me to socialize with my friends and thank them for being part of my wedding, and I'm not sure a busy restaurant provides that kind of an atmosphere. 
    3.  I know Abuelo's is typically pretty busy on a Friday night, and they may not be willing to take reservations for that large of a group. 

I don't think it's a bad idea per se, but I'm not sure that Abuelo's is the best venue for it.

FWIW, we are doing the rehearsal dinner at my parent's house and having kind of a BBQ atmosphere with cornhole, bocce ball, etc.  But our wedding is in June, so that obviously doesn't work for everyone. 
  • edited December 2011
    I love Abeulos, and we have talked about having ours there as well but the one thing that worries me about there is the noice. You probably know how loud it can get on a busy night so it may be a good idea to see if you can rent the entire place out for a night. If not, I would suggest a place with an extra room for a more intimate space where everyone could at least talk and hear one another.
  • edited December 2011
    I say go for it. My sister had her rehearsal dinner at BW3's on a Friday night and if you've ever been there it's very loud. As long as you know that going in, I think it's great. Oh and make sure you get the flan for dessert. It's the best flan I've had!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our RD at our house and catering in LaRosa's food. I think you should do whatever you want to do...maybe the noise would be a good thing if you have a loud bunch to begin with??? I know my people are loud, so the louder the better for us! :)

Not sure what part of town you will be in that night for the ceremony rehearsal, but I just went to Rookwood Pottery in Mt. Adams today for lunch and I thought it was the neatest and most unique place I've been to in a while! The food was good too!!! Just a suggestion for a different place that has some character.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Here's the website if you were at least interested in checking the place out...it's really cool!

Good Luck!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    ditto on the noise issue. I love Abuelos, but it does get really loud in there. Chris' sister had theirs @ Bucca last Dec. in a nonprivate room and it was a disaster. Its hard to be sentimenal and w/speeches. All these people were staring and walking through in the middle. etc.
  • edited December 2011

You could always see if they can cater and have it at a parents house or something like that. Also, if you are talking about the Abuelo's in Crestview Hills maybe you can talk to them about renting out the patio area, depending on the time of year. Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards