Getting in Shape

Finishing up week five of C25K

I honestly never thought I would enjoy running as much as I have been. Tomorrow is my last day of week five, and while it's scary to think that I will have to run for 20 minutes straight, I know I can do it. I've been "cheating" and doing the program four days a week instead of three as I have four days off a week from work. I should be close to finshing by the time my wedding rolls around :)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

261 Invited image
174 Want to Party image
56 Are Party Poopers image
31 Can't find the mailbox image

Re: Finishing up week five of C25K

• That's great! I just finished week 4.....I was supposed to start week 5 today but it's raining here. :(  I'll finish right before my wedding and hope to run a 5K when we get back from the honeymoon.  I never thought I'd be able to run, either! The program is awesome!

• I run on a treadmill for two reasons: I hate running outside and I like being able to maintain a consitant speed on a treadmill. I also get super bored running outside...I like having a TV to distract me...I put on "Say Yes to The Dress" or something else wedding related and for some reason, I tend to run harder when I think about wedding dresses haha

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

261 Invited image
    174 Want to Party image
    56 Are Party Poopers image
    31 Can't find the mailbox image
  • I just finished day 3 of week 5...well i just finished my first try at it. I made it about 12 mins then walked about 4 ran another 5-7ish I am going to try again tomorrow and keep trying till I get there. I also was a self professed hater of running.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Great job!  I just started running at the beginning of Sept.  I probably should've done the C25K, however I just started doing my own thing.  I could barely do 1/4 mile when I started and now have worked up to 2 miles.

Thing is, I HATE it while I'm doing it.  I'm realizing that often the first mile is the worst and anything I do after that isn't AS bad.  Afterwards, I feel wonderful.  And it's that feeling that keeps me going.  I am a treadmill runner too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_finishing-up-week-five-of-c25k?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:1bc0e98b-d66c-4d14-ae6b-7252caef7d5ePost:7b00ae26-ad82-43c7-a195-2f03a55ff8b8">Re: Finishing up week five of C25K</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great job!  I just started running at the beginning of Sept.  I probably should've done the C25K, however I just started doing my own thing.  I could barely do 1/4 mile when I started and now have worked up to 2 miles. Thing is, I HATE it while I'm doing it. <strong> I'm realizing that often the first mile is the worst and anything I do after that isn't AS bad</strong>.  Afterwards, I feel wonderful.  And it's that feeling that keeps me going.  I am a treadmill runner too.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

Yes! The first mile ALWAYS is the worst. This goes the same for running on the treadmill, outside, long or short distance. Even when training for my marathon and doing 16mile+ training runs, the first one always took the most mental toughness. Granted, the ice bath later also sucked, but that was a different feat of strength entirely!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    December Signature: Holiday Favorites imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Congrats everyone! I did C25K about 18 months ago, but I never went to the solid run -- I was already planning on training for a half marathon using Jeff Galloway's method, wbich is run-walk-run (i.e., intervals), and so I just switched to the Galloway interval I wanted to use and increased my time according to the C25K plan. The half marathon went great last year, and now I'm training for my first full marathon at the end of this Oct! Can't even believe it!

What keeps me going and gets me out there is knowing that the first mile is the worst. But that I knew before I got started -- what I *didn't* expect was how much I would enjoy the miles beyond 5! I still think that's just crazy! I'll be trying the ice bath for the first time after our long run this weekend. Hoping for a faster recovery than last time!

Happy running everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards