Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress Drama :(

I only have 23 days left and do not have a dress.  The dress has cap sleeves and the bust was a good 2 inches too high and I was thinking it would be impossible for it to be fixed.

I went in for like my 5th fitting the other day.  The woman had actually put in HUGE padded cups thinking that would fix the problem.  Of course it didn't, and it steamed me that she found this acceptable as this was the reason I didn't take the floor sample dress for half price as I didn't want an overly padded bust.  I'm an A cup, not a D cup and I will NOT fake it as it looks ridiculous on my small frame.

This woman had also made a comment on me losing weight (as if to make it my fault the dress is not fitting).  I have been the same size for the past 5 years.  She also went as far as saying they needed to feed me.  I am not ridiculously skinny.  I have a 25" waist.  Anybody else who is skinny knows these comments can be just as hurtful as overweight comments. 

I just wish this woman had been honest with herself the day the dress came in and ate the cost and offered me a refund and tried to see if perhaps any of their other sample dresses could be altered to my size.

I have another fitting tomorrow which I'm not looking forward to.  Every time she tries to fix the problem, she compromises the fit in another area.  Last fitting it was rather tight in the armpit.  I'm going to have FI come with me as support to help back me up.  I am not taking a dress that is less than perfect.

Re: Dress Drama :(

• casymecasyme member
    First Comment
    That sounds terrible, I'm sorry you have to go through this so close to your wedding!  But don't panic.  You DO have a dress, it's just not perfect yet. 

Idea #1:  Ditch this woman, and find an understanding dressmaker/tailor who agrees to do this on an emergency basis.  It might sound scary, but now is the time for drastic action.  And even if it costs you more, it will be worth it.

Idea #2:  If you can't ditch this woman (because of a contract), bring along a seamstress to your next fitting, who can then counter your dressmaker's crazier ideas.  It would be great if this was a friend, but hire someone if you must (and tell her everything about what's going on).  This is going to amp up the discomfort in the room, but it might get you the dress as you want it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-drama-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:795ad100-78e2-4300-9a9f-c63580b3c3d5Post:c2e14ffa-1d8b-4186-8bf0-1baafa5ac9db">Re: Dress Drama :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds terrible, I'm sorry you have to go through this so close to your wedding!  But don't panic.  You DO have a dress, it's just not perfect yet.  Idea #1:  Ditch this woman, and find an understanding dressmaker/tailor who agrees to do this on an emergency basis.  It might sound scary, but now is the time for drastic action.  And even if it costs you more, it will be worth it. Idea #2:  If you can't ditch this woman (because of a contract), bring along a seamstress to your next fitting, who can then counter your dressmaker's crazier ideas.  It would be great if this was a friend, but hire someone if you must (and tell her everything about what's going on).  This is going to amp up the discomfort in the room, but it might get you the dress as you want it.
    Posted by casyme[/QUOTE]

Agree with both these ideas!  I personally would lean towards #1 just because I had a bad seamstress experience (the first person I took my dress to did not listen to me at all) and definitely would not be comfortable with her ever again.  You'll be more comfortable with a whole new person I think.  And don't settle on the first person you take the dress to, shop around and get to know the people and ask them what their thoughts are on fixing it.  But I'd get out of there ASAP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I'm so sorry :( I'm 30 days out and I was panicked over finding the right jacket, so I can't imagine how awful this is for you.
    Honestly, unless this is just absolutely your dream dress, I'd try to go find something off the rack.  It sounds like such a nightmare.  If you do find something else, for the love of Pete find another tailor!

I also get the "skinny" comments. I'm not that tiny at 5'5, but I get people (FFIL in particular) saying "we need to fatten you up!" or "oh you're so skinny/tiny"! Well... no, I don't want to be fattened up, and no, I'm not skinny at all! I'm just petite and my clothes aren't tight enough to show my pudge ;)
  • That sounds terrible. I don't really have any suggestions for you but I'll second your opinion on hurtful skinny comments. A girl in high school used to call my BFF and I "anorexia and bulimia." We were just petite 100lb high school girls. It's been years but I'll never forget that. People think it's okay to make those comments because you're skinny so it's almost a "compliment." NOPE, you're saying I look like I have a disease and that is not okay.
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • This lady that's doing the alterations is the one that owns the bridal shop I purchased the dress from.  The only thing keeping me from tears is the fact that I have only paid the deposit on the dress.  There is no way in hell I would pay the balance and take that dress out of her store to find a different seamstress, because I am telling you there is no way that dress can be repaired.  Last night I had a dream she gave me the bill for her alterations and it was insane!

I did purchase an emergency dress from DB online as back up a few days after I first tried that mess on because I just knew this was going to happen.  I took that dress to a lady to alter and got it taken in everywhere but the bust.  I discussed with her of the possiblility of taking it in, removing boning if necessary.  Well I go back for the fitting, she said the dress was done, and she took out the boning but didn't take in the bust!   I only said she could take out the boning if we were going to take the bust in!  I went ahead and took the dress from her because I was tired of going 1/2 hour each way constantly and will find somebody closer to me to finish it.

• Oh boy does not sound like a good situation at all.  I hope everything turns out well for you!  Try not to let this experience ruin your big day!  Just remember that the most important part is you and your FI starting your lives together!  Dresses and everything else are secondary.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards