Iowa-Des Moines

Money saving tips?

Hey! Just wondering what creative things people are doing to save money?  Any tips are appreciated!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Money saving tips?

• edited December 2011
    I am going to get mason canning jars for the centerpieces and put a ribbon around them with either just a few flowers from somewhere or have all the aunts go to the farmers market and get some flowers for me. You can get canning jars for super cheap....like 16 of them for $20 or something like that. google mason jar centerpieces to get cute ideas!!! Also I am going to have heavy appetizers instead of a sit down dinner. I was going to do save the date cards but I just don't think I want to spend the money. Also, my photographer is just starting to do weddings so it is only goiing to be $650 and she includes an engagement session!!! I love saving money!!!
  • edited December 2011
    we're saving a ton of money on our photographer, since she's just starting weddings, too.  instead of printing pictures for us, she's going to give us the copyright to all of the pictures--it will save hundreds.

we are also going to skip save-the-date cards...that will save a couple hundred dollars.

i'm borrowing all the vases from my sister's wedding 2 years ago and my friend's brother's wedding from a year ago.  they will be a mix of square/circle vases, and best of all--free!

we are keeping decorations minimal and using ALL decorations provided by the hotel where our reception is. 

also using a videographer, www.visualitiesvideography.com, out of omaha.  her prices are great, and i was referred to her by a friend at drake (the videographer graduated from there).  and best of all-her mileage is cost is minimal, that it still works out being cheaper for us than anywhere in des moines.

think of friends/relatives who can play piano/sing for your ceremony.  many would be honored, and it's unique and meaningful to have someone you know :-)

still on the search for a dj or rental equipment to have our friends put together a playlist..................
  • MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a lot of DIY projects.  All of our centerpieces are using fake flowers (submerged silk orhids in 3 tiered cylinder vases and tissue paper pomanders with crystal beading atop a 30" Pilsner), we are only doing real flowers for the bridal party.  I'm also designing and assembling all of our invites by hand, we bought our sand ceremony vases at Target for under $15 total and I am etching them myself instead of buying a kit and paying someone else to etch them.  I also watch out for sales like crazy.  (I got all of my invite supplies on sale, I got my dress on sale and the alteration done at a discount, we got our chaircovers AND sashes on sale for only $1.50 ea, and we saved money on my e-ring and our bands by participating in the Joseph's Diamond Dash)  I'm not hiring or buying anything that is over the top or unncessary. (no videographer, no big fancy limo, no fresh flowers at our reception)  So far,  I've probably saved almost a grand by being selective, patient and willing to do things myself.

"All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We got a discount on our reception venue because it is city owned and we live in the city.  We got a 20% discount on the MOH dress this past weekend because we paid with a check for all of it that day.  I am doing all our invitations by hand.  I am printing out save the dates on vistaprint, which sends out emails all the time with coupons and discounts if you sign up for their emails.  I can get 100 postcards free and only pay shipping.  We also got a discount with our video and photographer because they offer a discount for each service if you use them together.  We are also getting a CD with all our photos on it, so we can print them at snapfish or something so we dont pay an arm and a leg for printing.  When I buy decorations, etc. from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, I always make sure to print off their coupons.  The little things here and there add up in the end.  
    Anniversary
  • Zippy88kZippy88k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a response to the person who asked if you had a musically talented friend or family member--

It can be really awkward if the bride/groom assumes a closer relationship than the musician does. In some cases, the person you're asking plays for weddings for a living, and if they don't think they're that close to you, then they will expect to be paid. But if there's no doubt to your relationship, then it is good. But it's good manners to still offer to pay them, even if they don't accept it.
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a lot of DIY and I have been checking prices everywhere. I haven't gotten anything that is not on sale. Another thing you can do is ask for a discount if you pay the entire price of whatever your booking that day. I saved money on my Reception Venue by doing this.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Hire a great dj for a reasonable price!  DnA Music Entertainment is very good and a really reasonable price too!!

number is  515-451-8271

you will be blown away by there loyalty to there customers!
  • omd89bomd89b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just looking through these old posts and saw you had an extremely affordable photographer. Do you mind sending me her contact info? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards