September 2012 Weddings

Check, I guess.

So I guess we have a cake. FI and I went with FMIL to some lady's house for a cake consultation. FMIL had shown me pics of this lady's stuff and they were all cheesy and cutesy so I was not very interested. However, we showed her and her baking partner what we wanted, and they just ran with the idea. They gave us a lot of good input and their price was reasonable. However, as usual, FMIl had to make this whole thing about herself, so everytime we showed the people a cake idea we liked, she busted out her phone and showed them the stupid pics she showed me. Then she announced "Well, I bake cakes too, but nothing this big." No, you don't... you make one chocolate cake, from a box, for every single event that occurs. Then I almost crawled under the table when the people said that they required half down for a deposit. FMIL, who is paying for this, said "Well, can I give you $20? I don't have that much right now, and it will be a few weeks before I can pay you." She gave them some sob story about how she "hurt" her wrist. If you don't have the money, WHY DID WE COME HERE!? The people agreed, but said she still owes the rest of the deposit for us to be officially booked.

However, FI and I got one big thing from this. The people lived in a double wide trailer, and it was gorgeous. Any time people hear the word "trailer" it makes their skin crawl, but this place was like a big ranch! It had a mud room, and beautiful kitchen. FI and I said this would definitely be an avenue we would be interested in, for the future. For those of you who do not have houses yet, do any of you know roughly what you want???

Re: Check, I guess.

• Congrats on getting the cake! I'm sorry your FMIL is such a piece of work. Just remind yourself she somehow made your amazing FI!

We don't have a house yet, but we have considered trailers. We still don't know what we will do eventually. We just know that we want to save enough to either put 50% down or pay for a house in full. So, after the wedding we will be living below our means for a while. As far as before the wedding, we are still living below our means, but we are using approximately 45% of our combined income for the wedding.
  • I had to chuckle at this post. My grandparents live in a senior "trailer park." I always tease my grandma calling it that and shes yells "They are manufactured homes!" (two sides of a house brought in on a trailer) Looks like a trailer, acts like a trailer, I call it a trailer. But they are very nice really. Its three bedrooms and plenty of space.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow sounds like quite the experience, but at least you do have a cake (I guess lol).
    One reason I am glad we are paying for everything ourselves; we don't have to deal with that. I'd be uber annoyed too!

invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congrats on getting the cake booked, I count that as a check!

FI and I have been house hunting. We want a large enough home for when we have a family, because I don't want to have to move with a little one in tow lol so we're looking for a 4-5 bedroom, with a basement area finished, big enough for me to do homeschooling and a playroom area. We'd like a large yard, as we have 2 dogs, and either already fenced in or we'll have to put a fence in asap.

• Nikki71Nikki71 member
    First Comment
    We are renting for now and probably the next year or two. While our families are both contributing, we're putting money into the wedding and paying for the honeymoon. We'll need to boost our savings back up again a bit before buying...

Plus, right now we live Downtown and when we buy we'd like to do family-friendly suburbs... but not ready to give up Downtown living yet :)
  • I'm glad that your bakers embraced the idea that YOU gave them.  Good check :)

I was actually lucky enough that I bought a house on my own a couple months after I met FI.  However, we are already dreaming of our next house because my place is tiny.  No room for kids and we'd both really like to be in a single family home.  Fortunately I have quiet neighbors, but sharing a wall still sucks, they had a bunch of people over Saturday night and I had to be up super early on Sunday for a run so that was rough.  My grandmothers beach house, now her full time house, is actually a trailer but I love it!  Even has a fireplace.
  • The biggest thing I am nervous about with the cake though is that we didn't get to taste it. We are just going off word of mouth. I'm at the point where I really don't care at all anymore. I don't care if the cake sucks, my BMs don't buy dresses, or anything else like that because the result is the same regardless.

We have talked a lot about houses, even though we will probably never be able to afford one, and we said that the land is more important to us than the house. As long as its double digit acres, I will be totally happy with a "trailer" or a "manufactured home."
  • Wow !  Hearing acres, 4-5 bedroom homes, full basement, etc. just reminds me how different we all are !!!    We own our home in the San Francisco bay area... and I think we are the only couple out of all of our friends who own a home instead of renting an apartment or condo.  Housing just isn't as affordable in California in general, but specifically, the bay area.  It's more affordable now than it was 5 years ago, but still... if you want a 2Br with a tiny lil backyard, it will be at least $400k in an "ok" neighborhood in the surrounding bay cities (Berkelely, Oakland, South Bay.  And that's a SMALL 2Br.  Like, 900-1000 square feet. If you want to live IN San Francisco, you will probably be in a highrise condo, and it will be about $600K for a 1br. 
  • Glad your bakers listened to your ideas and didn't make it cutesy.  We lucked out with finding a delicious cake in our price range, but in general I wouldn't stress about how it tastes because there are more important things!  Just make sure FI stays on her to pay the rest of the deposit so there isn't an issue down the road (and another reason to be irritated with FMIL).

We don't own a house.  We aren't even renting...wiht our moves and FI's job situation we are still living with my parents.  It has been a year since we shared our own place and we are itching to get out.  We have been starting to talk a lot about buying by end of 2013 as a goal and what we want.  We are certianly on the track of a more modest sized house.  We probably need something a little more sturdy than a trailer to ge through a hurricane season in Florida.  But 3-4 bedrooms would be enough and just a backyard big enough to grill in and hopefullyget a dog one day.  Right now saving for the wedding though is #1.
  • congrats on getting the cake taken care of. Sort of. :)

My Grandma lives in a modular home (like what you described) It's pretty nice, pretty spacious for what it is. the only problem with it is that even though they own the home (or trailer or whatever you want to call it) they do not own the land that's it's on. It's strange. They couldn't get a traditional mortgage for it. And if anything ever happened, they would be up crap's creek, because it's not like they can really move their house.2

My FI and I bought our home last year. It's a ranch, 3 BRs, full basement. It's small, but it's great for the three of us and it's less for me to clean. It's got a great backyard, which was really important to us, and we were able to renovate it before we moved in. we'll probably either upgrade homes in a few years, or put an addition on this one, We haven't decided yet. But I love it.

Our main thing, when looking for houses, was to find something that was affordable and in a good neighborhood. This house needed a lot of cosmetic work, but as a result, we got it for a good price. We did not want to be house poor.  
  • Your FMIL sounds just lovely. Let's hope she actually follows through with the money!

We have no idea what our living situation will be a few months from now. FI is applying for jobs all over the country. He has made it clear that he REFUSES to live in an apartment, and we have nowhere close to enough money for a downpayment on a house, so I think we'll probably end up renting a townhouse (maybe with the option to buy). 
    Anniversary
  • SCogs18SCogs18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    FI and I are really against trailers because we live in Virginia and want to move to North Carolina...we have a lot of hurricanes/tornados and trailers are not safe enough under those conditions...last fall I watched an awning get ripped off the front of a hotel from my bedroom window during a hurricane!  They also have a "low class" reputation in my area (no offence intended).

For our first home we are hoping to buy in the next two years:  3 bed, 2.5 bath, two story, two car garage with a bonus room.  That is the dream first home.  For our "final" home, I would like 4 bedrooms (assuming we have two kids).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_check-i-guess?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:35e394af-1bc6-4f59-8b65-33ec8b75894cPost:2e54c761-0685-4660-aea9-6b77dd038143">Re: Check, I guess.</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I are really against trailers because we live in Virginia and want to move to North Carolina...we have a lot of hurricanes/tornados and trailers are not safe enough under those conditions...last fall I watched an awning get ripped off the front of a hotel from my bedroom window during a hurricane! <strong> They also have a "low class" reputation in my area (no offence intended).</strong> For our first home we are hoping to buy in the next two years:  3 bed, 2.5 bath, two story, two car garage with a bonus room.  That is the dream first home.  For our "final" home, I would like 4 bedrooms (assuming we have two kids).
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

That's something I noticed the many times I have been in the south. Up here, trailers are in designated parks, and are usually filled to the brim with retired people or small families that are just starting. In the south, they seem to be randomly plopped on land, and look sketchy as all get-out. When we vacationed in West Virginia we drove past one trailer with garbage and random crap in the yard, two beat pick up trucks and two guys leaning on the bed of one of the trucks while holding beer. My Fi and I were like "YES! We found our people!!!!" Haha.

Like I said though, these "trailers" were more like any other ranch house. They had been set on foundations as well. But we are just getting ideas for now.
  • I lived in a trailer with my mom throughout high school. If you decorate it nice, it doesn't seem like a trailer. I would never consider one now, just because they usually don't have basements. We really want a basement.
    As for other features...at least three bedrooms, a decent yard, and a good size kitchen. FI has a lot of family members that can do upgrades on a house, so one that needs some work it possibility.
    Wedding1_zps3487cad4 wedding10_zps74fded34
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards