Not Engaged Yet

I hate ASU!

Arizona State University graduate college is the bain of my existence. I just got an email (a freaking email!!) saying that they are changing the order of the classes permanently, and the LAST TWO that I need to take to graduate this fall will not be offered until next spring. WTF!

BF and I have talked recently about having a spring wedding of next year, probably early March. This screws everything up. I told him about ASU's change of plans. My point of view and preference is that I do not want to wait even longer to get married (late 2012), and that I would rather get married this fall since I won't be in school. He doesn't think there will be enough time to plan and save enough money for a wedding this fall and he isn't so worried about pushing it back. I'm so bummed. I hate money. I hate ASU. (rant over) 
www.nurseyk.weebly.com

Re: I hate ASU!

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

When would you be able to graduate then? Because realistically, it doesn't screw everything up. It just postpones things for (most likely) a few months? You could consider that more time to save money.

• edited December 2011
    I agree with Bren, but it does stink. I would be completely bummed too! It's hard to have plans get screwed up by unforeseeable circumstances. Try to take it in stride...but I know it's upsetting.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about the class change, its been happening to so many people i know.  You can still get married when you want it just changes what's going to happen.  If you want to get married this year it'll probably just be a simpler wedding than what you might have planned or its exactly what you might have planned if your original idea was low key and mellow.  I got engaged last October and my wedding isn't until June of 2012, and trying to graduate by this spring/summer I need to finish my grad project.

I know you said you wanted to get married early of 2012.  But you could push it back just a tad bit.  Since you might not have any classes this summer and fall then you can do some research and planning for your wedding.  But if you have come this far, what's a few months more than what you had planned.  Its still going to be a beautiful  event.  Just take a moment to talk to your BF, when are you guys planning on being engaged?
  • edited December 2011
    True, more time to save money. True, we could push the plan for the wedding back a few months from spring 12'.... but have you ever been to Arizona between May and September? It's like living inside an oven. 

I wish I have more patience. I'll even admit, I should have more patience with everything

I have no idea when the proposal will be, all I know is that it's happening sometime..... maybe soon. 

ASU did this when I was an undergraduate, too.  It's like their sneaky way of getting you to attend for another semester so they make more $$$. Well lemme tell ya... I am not pursuing any such certificate or post masters NP after I graduate. I've had it! ASU can go suck it. 
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would be like you and want to get married in the fall.  Then you can plan without the stress of classes and enjoy a few months of married life before your LAST SEMESTER.

I would imagine that a big school such as ASU would not attempt to pull this crap, but apparently it can happen everywhere.  I feel it, really I do.  But just think, now you can have ZILLIONS of kids and send them elsewhere to school.  Not that ASU will really feel it, but it's a good dream for now.

I will honestly say, however, that I never once thought of going to my dad's college.  Mainly because I'm 99% sure it's an all boys' Catholic school. 
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Should have gone to UA. 

Kidding! 

I got married in July in Tucson. Yeah, it was hot. But we still had an awesome time. It worked out just fine. Plus we got a big discount at our venue.

What about looking at your spreadsheets and seeing what you could do by this fall? Then compare to what you could do by next summer. I think looking at actual numbers would help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    @ blue and white... 
        Huh?? This confused me: "will honestly say, however, that I never once thought of going to my dad's college.  Mainly because I'm 99% sure it's an all boys' Catholic school."

@ desert
       I did go to UofA for my second B.S. I'm not a traiter, I'm all for UofA sports over ASU. :) ASU was the only option for the program I wanted in AZ. Which I'm now regretting. Hindsight is 20/20. That's awesome that you had a July wedding! Kudos! Personally, I hate the heat. However, a giant discount would be nice. 
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why don't you get married at the same time you were planning, and just take your honeymoon after you graduate?  A wedding can totally happen mid-semester, but a honeymoon would have to be delayed until you have more time.

What about getting married the first weekend of Spring Break and taking a short mini-moon for a few days?  It's early enough in the semester that things won't have gotten too crazy yet.  We were thinking about doing this when we were considering a destination wedding, but since my FMIL is an accountant, it falls right in the middle of tax season and was thus a no-go.

Anniversary

• cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Calindi stole all my good ideas! I actually work for ASU, but don't worry, I feel your pain. They discontinued my specialization when i was getting my master's and they handled it pretty poorly.

I definitely think you should still go ahead with your early 2012 wedding, just be a little more open to doing some things untraditionally, whether it's waiting to take your honeymoon or getting married the day after graduation. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, ASU sucks, especially with the stupid state cutting funding, ASU is handling the shortfall poorly.  (it's still way better that U of A though!!).  I loved going there for my undergrad, but I can't say that I'd go back for a grad degree there...their tuition hikes just aren't worth the quality of education you get there. (some programs are obviously better than others, but just in general)

Seeing as how you aren't engaged yet, then yeah, I would say planning for this fall will be too soon.  You could get married on spring break next year and take your HM in the summer.  Like Desert said, you could also save some major cash if you got married in the summer...you could try to find a place with a nice indoor ceremony space so that it's fully air conditioned for everyone and won't be that bad.

There's a lot of options, so for right now, I'd just focus on messing with stupid ASU and finishing your degree.  That seems like more than enough on your plate without worrying about when to get married...
    Anniversary
  • kibo8kibo8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear that! I would be pissed.

I'm not sure about your school, but mine is usually over the first week of may. What if you did it the second weekend of May? Again, I don't know how hot it would be, but if it's the very beginning of warm weather it might not be too bad.
  • edited December 2011
    i would be super pissed, and i understand your pain completely. yes you only have to wait an extra semester, but i know first hand how frustrating having to stay an extra semester or 2 because of class availability is. i swear it is all a conspiracy to make us stay as long as possible and pay as much as we can.

as for the wedding, this fall might be hard to be able to book everything (i know around here most venues are booked up for 2011 already). maybe you could wait until summer which would only be like 2 or 3 extra months of waiting?
    5/27/12
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hate-asu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:0f4b0c81-452c-4ede-aa10-0b3681d007c3Post:3328e2c8-01e2-4b64-8e00-fe7ab1211b40">Re: I hate ASU!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so sorry to hear that! I would be pissed. I'm not sure about your school, but mine is usually over the first week of may. What if you did it the second weekend of May? Again, I don't know how hot it would be, but if it's the very beginning of warm weather it might not be too bad.
    Posted by kibo8[/QUOTE]

The high here TODAY is 95 degrees, so we'll be well into the 100's by May.  Just sayin...
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the support ladies, I really appreciate it! I took my frustration out on digging a hole in the backyard for the garden we're putting in this weekend. Digging is a lot of work, let me tell ya, my arms want to fall off!! BF promised some TLC and a hug tonight because he knows how bummed I am. Just looking forward to that is making me feel better.  
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • kibo8kibo8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow it is hot there!! I've only been to AZ once, and it was in Feb or April, I can't remember which, so I guess I missed out on the really bad heat. Maybe if you get a March break you could do it then, and still get to take a honeymoon?

I agree with the college conspiracy to get more money! That is all they care about.

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hate-asu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:0f4b0c81-452c-4ede-aa10-0b3681d007c3Post:e1892a86-4848-4ca0-8172-02a3517bb64d">Re: I hate ASU!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the support ladies, I really appreciate it! I took my frustration out on digging a hole in the backyard for the garden we're putting in this weekend. Digging is a lot of work, let me tell ya, my arms want to fall off!! BF promised some TLC and a hug tonight because he knows how bummed I am. Just looking forward to that is making me feel better.  
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

Hang in there!  Best laid plans of mice and men... and all that jazz...

Aren't hugs the best?  I had a crappy day the other day (heck, every day this week has been crap-tastic) and I came home and before I even closed the door, he had me off my feet, wrapped in his arms in the best toe curling kiss!  And just like that, everything felt a lot better.  I love that man so freaking much!

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hate-asu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:0f4b0c81-452c-4ede-aa10-0b3681d007c3Post:9f3b7b67-6933-4cc6-9bd4-0ed412db2fb2">Re: I hate ASU!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow it is hot there!! I've only been to AZ once, and it was in Feb or April, I can't remember which, <strong>so I guess I missed out on the really bad heat</strong>. Maybe if you get a March break you could do it then, and still get to take a honeymoon? I agree with the college conspiracy to get more money! That is all they care about.
    Posted by kibo8[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Feb is usually pretty nice, although pretty unpredictable...it'll be freezing one week and then record temps the next.  Our temps this week are record highs, so it's not normal for it to be this warm late March/early April.  We normally start hitting unbearably hot temps in May, with the hottest months being July & August.  The highest temp I remember here was 124 degrees.  That's very rare though, but in the summer, it averages in the 110's.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards