January 2010 Weddings

Somebody make me feel better :(

For some reason, I've been having trouble accessing the club board the past few weeks (My PMs also go down at random, so I'm sure this is just the Knot being its awful self). So I haven't been around so much, but I've really missed you ladies, and it's so exciting that we're all married now, and yay!

Anyway, I just got my proofs back last night, and I was going through them ... and I'm feeling a little upset with what came back. There's a lot of pics of me and DH, and most of them look good, so that's great. But the rest of the pics are kind of a let down.

There's about 20 pics of the Best Man and his FI (Which, we really don't like this girl, and there's pretty much zero chance of that ever changing). Then there's like 6 pics of this friend of mine (Who wasn't in theBP) and her DH-but she's somebody I'm not incredibly close with. After that, there are absolutely no reception pics of any of our other friends or BP members. I mean, granted the photog couldn't know which friends I was close to and which ones not-so-much, but really? He couldn't get pics of anybody else the BP except for the Best Man? My brother and sisters were in the BP, and when we posed for formals, I made it a point to say "These 3 are my siblings" (My one sister was also the MOH), and our other BM was DH's sister, so we also pointed out who she was to him ... and for some reason, after the reception entrances, there are like no pictures of any of them.

Then there's the family. Like I said, we had formals, so he knew things like who my parents were, and that my 91-year-old great grandmother was there ... and  like the BP, after the formals, there's literally no pictures of anybody. There's like 1 shot of my grandmother dancing (Not great-grandma), and a pic of my brother dancing with my mom. But aside from that, nothing. There's no pics of my parents together, and the only pics I have with/of my great-grandmother are the formals, where she's holding my niece-who cried the entire time, so instead of smiling, she's trying to handle the baby.

There were a lot of pics of DH's parents ... but none of his aunts or uncles, and aside from the BP pics, none of his sister or nephew.

I know I can't go back and do it all over, and I know there were some things that I probably could have explained better. But I don't know, I just think that he's worked long enough (And he has) to know that like, maybe, he could figure out on his own that the bride wanted pictures of her parents ... in the same shot. Maybe, instead of getting 5 million pics of the Best Man, there could have been at least 1 of my grandparents dancing together. And it's not like everybody spent the night at the table, my family pretty much camped on the dance floor ... which is where all of our Best Man pics take place.

And also, it's not like these were pics of us that the Best Man just so happened to be in ... these were pics of just him and his FI dancing, we were nowhere in sight.

Anyway, I'm really just bummed by this (And hoping that other family members had the common sense to break out the cameras and I just don't know it yet) ... and I really want to blame myself ... but at the same time, like I really just think some common sense on the photogs end could have been exercised.

Sorry for the whining, I just really needed to vent.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar

Re: Somebody make me feel better :(

• I'm so sorry you're feeling this way!
    I feel like disappointment (in pictures, food, the dj - whatever) is a very common thing to happen post-wedding.  Think about it: you spend so many months planning this one day, and pour SO MUCH energy into it...it's bound to fall flat in some aspect, you know?  While it sucks that there are a bazillion pictures of BM and his no-good FI, think about all the great ones you got!  And I'm SURE some of your friends and family members were taking pictures as well, but you may not have seen/heard about them yet because they haven't gotten around to uploading them or something.
    I know I'm pulling out a big, fat cliche here, but: at the end of the day all that truly matters is that you are married.  Really. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2, 2010
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    EDD October 10, 2013
  • No, it's true, we are married, and that's the important part, and I'm very happy with that. It's just kind of sucky that so many things went great, and yet the pics (You know, the one "real" thing you get to keep) is of course the one thing that actually dissapointed. And it really didn't help that DH is usualy so "Que Sera, Sera" about things, and he's just as upset as I am about it.

I guess the big part with why I'm so mad about there being so many pics of this girl is because we don't like her, we know they're probably never actually going to get married (It's kind of a long story) ... and because just 3 days before the wedding, we weren't even sure if the best man was going to show up because of this girl (She's crazy, and Best Man actually missed another friend's wedding-that he was a GM in- last summer because of some b.s. she concocted).

And also because she's 19 and showed up wearing a prom dress ... and acted like she was tripping on LSD all night (Which, it shows in most of the pro pics as well). I know, I know, it is none of my business what people wear to the wedding, but so many people from both of our families actually told us they felt so bad for us having her "make such a spectacle of herself". Which, at the wedding, we hardly noticed and had a great time, pretending she didn't exist. Now that there's lots of photographic evidence of her behavior (That easily could have been used getting pics of my parents or something), I'm kinda p!ssed off.

Again, I really do know I'm being silly, and that I can't fix it now ... I'm just hoping that you ladies can help me actually accept that there's nothing I can do about it now.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • i know what you mean. i'm feeling a little bit of the same...while there werent a ton of pictures that we didnt want, i realized that i didnt take any pictures of just me and my grandparents. its ok to be bummed...so dont worry about feeling silly.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • *gasp* She's frightening!  Meg, are you sure she's not an alien?  Because she kind of looks like one.  For serious. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2, 2010
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    EDD October 10, 2013
  • Oh no! I'm sorry about the pictures. I'm slightly terrified of seeing mine too. My photog was extremely meticulous and took eleventy billion takes of every picture he took, to make sure he got it right. So, I'm not going to have a lot of different shots.

Did you have any guests taking photos? I was really lucky to have some amateur photographers in the room, and I have some fantastic non-pro pics for it. If you haven't set up a sharing site or otherwise swapped pics with your guests yet, it might be a good way to get pictures of your other WP members and guests.

P.S. Prom dress girl is fabulous...ly wacko.
  • Oh goodness.....that is a very blue dress. That's the nicest thing I can say right now.

I haven't seen more than our teaser pics yet, but I asked anyone who took digitals to send them to us and we've gotten some great ones from friends and family. Ask around, get as many as you can. I'm sorry you're dealing with this, I would have been ripped.
  • I had friends (And apparently family that hasn't come forward yet) taking pics, so I do have more than what the photog got ... I'm just still blown away that that is what the majority of my reception pics look like ... I mean, there's not a shot of my own parents together, but I needed 25 copies of that? It's really such a shame because we actually felt so confident about the pics, it looked like he was all over the dance floor all night ... apparently following them.

I'm wondering if maybe he just couldn't "look away" from that dress and that's how this mess happened? Lol.

• Holy blue dress batman!  Prom dresses should be for prom only.  My mom wanted me to re-wear one of my prom dresses for my bridal shower (uh, what?) and then when I said no she said I should wear it at the rehearsal dinner (ah-'scuse me?).  Those things didn't fit anyway.

But anyway, now that I've seen it, I'm very sorry all your pictures are like that.  Do your pro-pics really all have the date stamped in the bottom corner?  You can add that to your BBB complaint.
    image image
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • oh I'm so sorry that has happened! I remember debating with my mom how much we should spend on photography and we decided that photos were the best way to document the wedding so we should spend lots of money. I would have been apalled if I got my photos back after spending that much and that was how they turned out.

Yeah, you can tell from that dancing picture EXACTLY how she was dancing! Hippie love-fest it is...please pass the shrooms! Hopefully people will come forward with some awesome non-pro pics. 

• Oh the date won't be on anything we order for albums, so I'm not worried about that.

We wound up with this guy (Which he is the one I was complaining about a few months back for being rude to me and DH) because we got this package through our venue where they gave us a DJ and a photog. We were limited on time to go looking and we couldn't beat the price ... and I had seen the guy's work before (It was pretty good, and again, I'm not ticked about the "quality" of my own, I'm ticked about the "content") and it didn't scare me, so we figured it was a safe bet. Also, we really didn't know too many photogs in the area, but the few we checked out prior to booking, we just couldn't afford and we really don't have too many personal references to go on. The only one of my friends that got married and used a professional photog recently used the same guy and her pics came out great (And more diversified) ... so, pretty much anybody we booked was going to be some type of gamble.

I went through them again last night with my mom, and she tried to make me feel a little better saying "Well, in that dress of course that's all you're seeing" and tried to point out it's not as bad as I think ... and then she realized "Wow, there really aren't any pics of me and your father". So she's not thrilled with the reception pictures either, but she wants me to focus on how nice the ceremony pics and formals are ... working on it, lol.

She's saying I'll be able to make a nice album ... it just won't have a lot of reception pics in it. And "the ceremony's the important part anyway", so I need to stop being bent out of shape and just be happy that like I at least I got my pictures back and I don't look horrible in most of them (Which was initially my biggest fear about the pics).

So I'm feeling a little better, I guess you're never too old for a little "Mom Advice", haha.

But I still think we probably would be happier if she just made the Best Man skip the wedding, lol.

• No, you're never too old for "Mom Advice" and you mom was 100% right!
    image image
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards