Wedding Reception Forum

Help!!

I need some advice. My FIs grandparents have been married for 56 years! Thats amazing. So, the day after our wedding is their 57th wedding anniversary. They will be the only couple there that have been married this long. I would love to find a way to acknowledge this at the reception. They are super important to my FI and his whole family. They are the nicest people ever. My mom had suggested playing their wedding song and having them dance to it, but they dont have a wedding song. So, now I am clueless. I was thinking of presenting them with the bouquet and the garter, because I dont want to do the traditional toss. But, I dont know how they would feel about getting the garter? Any other suggestions would be great!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help!!

• The DJ calls all the married couples to the dance floor, then while they're dancing, asks anyone to leave who has been married less than 10 years, then 20 years, etc until the last couple is on the floor. THAT wife gets the bouquet from the bride instead of throwing the bouquet. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like Zany's idea, and was actually talking to my FH about doing the same thing! You could give the wife the bouquet or a special gift to acknowledge their wonderful accomplishment!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to go slightly opposite here and disagree with the center-of-attention dances.

Unless you truly know his grandparents want to and like to dance, don't do it. Being in the spotlight isn't for everyone and it's something to be respectful of. A 3-4 minute song can be a long time for someone who isn't into dancing.

I think it would be sweet if you and you FI welcomed and thanked all the guests during the reception and said "Congratulations to Grandma and Grandpa celebrating 57 years of marriage tomorrow!" and go up and give them a hug.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_help-38?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:19de89b2-edf1-4f95-a917-e761b6676982Post:212c32e9-bb4e-4e70-8838-efeb421e768f">Re: Help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to go slightly opposite here and disagree with the center-of-attention dances. Unless you truly know his grandparents want to and like to dance, don't do it. Being in the spotlight isn't for everyone and it's something to be respectful of. A 3-4 minute song can be a long time for someone who isn't into dancing. <strong>I think it would be sweet if you and you FI welcomed and thanked all the guests during the reception and said "Congratulations to Grandma and Grandpa celebrating 57 years of marriage tomorrow!" and go up and give them a hug.
    </strong>Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

I actually think this is the best idea. That way, they are not center of attention (in case they dont want to be), it doesnt take up too much time & its still acknowleding them. Thanks for the idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you COULD present them with just the bouquet and just give both of them a hug =)
  • If they were my the grandparents i would give the grandmother my bouquet. I love Zany's idea I have seen that done at many weddings!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards