Getting in Shape

HELP! *Raynes & anyone else* with good articles about nutrition & weight loss (long)

My dad has taken it upon himself to finally start losing weight because the big 50 is coming up in November.  I'm really proud of him because he's lost like 16 lbs in the past, oh, three weeks or so. He bought a book that he's been reading, but I don't think he gets it. (Survival of the Fittest by David Meinz)

Here's the problem. He's over 300 lbs (I'm sure), and the other day my mom told me he's losing because he's not eating enough. She told me she looked at his calorie intake the other day and it only totaled 700 for the day and she had to coax him into eating another 200 calories. He doesn't eat breakfast, which he knows is bad because his body will go into starvation mode and hold onto the fat (his response was, "It's okay, I'll just exercise it off later.")

My mom's frustrated because this is always how he's lost weight - by not eating enough. He's lost about 40 lbs a couple of times in the past, but it's never stayed off. I'm concerned about my dad and have invited him to try Weight Watchers with me because it would teach him great principles for a healthy lifestyle & weight loss, but he's not too excited about the meetings. I also suggested him just trying it online. Still apprehensive. I've suggested him to read the Eat This, Not That books because he likes to eat junky stuff a lot, so I thought those simple swaps would be a good start for him.

So please, anyone with good articles that I can casually send to him, or any ADVICE on what to do, PLEASE HELP! TIA

Re: HELP! *Raynes & anyone else* with good articles about nutrition & weight loss (long)

• I don't have any great article suggestions, but my dad (well both of my parents) have had great success with WW online.  My dad likes it because he can just print off lists of foods that he eats a lot and follow it.  He also got all the Eat This Not That books from the library and has been reading them.  It's pretty much a game to him to figure the tastiest meal with the lowest points values.  I can understand a "dad" not wanting to do WW meetings, but online is a great option.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah, I even told him about their "buy one month get one free" promo right now for online, but he still hasn't taken the bite. My mom, however, is considering joining WW online because she doesn't like the meetings either. My whole family is overweight. lol. Here's a pic of me & my parents.
  • I gather he'd probably rather hear from men than women in terms of articles.

There's this article from T-Nation (a very well respected strength training site that only publishes legit stuff) written by one of my fav's, Tony Gentilcore:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dieting_disasters

It goes into the perils of restricting calories too low.

Also from Tony:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_angry_trainer

I have to go to a meeting for a while, but I can try and pull up some more later!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really liked that first article, raynes!

FI read "Abs Diet" and it really inspired him.  I read it too, and it seems to make sense, though I'm not an expert.  It provides some tasty smoothies and breakfasts there.  Maybe if he sees that some breakfasts are good for you, he'll start eating it again.
  • My dad has always been on a diet, his whole life.  He's not very overweight, maybe 15 pounds?  But it bothers him a lot.  And it makes me so angry the way he approaches weight loss.  He has these shakes and doesn't eat anything good and then binges on ice cream or a hamburger.  I've never seen him eat a vegetable that wasn't forced or any piece of fruit besides a macintosh apple.  I just think if he could realize the joys of healthy eating and all the wonderful tastes out there besides ice cream and red meat, he would find weight loss easier.  He thinks of weight loss as starving yourself of the bad things, and I've come to think of it as nourishing yourself with the right things.

The problem with a diet is that it doesn't last.  It will never work forever.  That's why something like weight watchers (although I've never done it) is such a great idea.  I hope you can convince him!
  • I use Sparkpeople.com and absoluely love it.  It's FREE first of all, and it has an enoumous number of resources, articles, and recipes.  Everyone gets their own "Sparkpage" where you can blog, update status, post pix, etc.  You earn points based on activites on or off the site which really inspires people with competitive streaks since it shows your rankings for differnt things.  There are message boards for community support, too, where you can connect with other Sparkers.  There's even a Knottie weight loss group.

My favorite parts are how it helps you with your calories in and calories out, since real permanent weight loss is simply about the math.  There are food trackers for your intake and fitness trackers for your output, and when you put in your goal weight and deadline it computes your suggested range of daily calories.  It will even give you meal plans.  The whole thing is very easy to use and the tickers are encouraging. 

If your dad joins tell him to add me as his friend!  I'm Katiscarlet on there.  Smile  I'm happy to help keep him motivated for you!
    Sept 2011 Board - Feb Sig Challenge: Reception Location-
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker

But why wouldn't you serve ice cream with the cake?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards