Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Alcohol

We selected a venue and caterer that will let us buy our own alcohol and are finalizing our beverage menu.  Our wedding is fairly small, around 80, but we want to have a reasonable selection.  So far, a white and red wine, a signature cocktail and selction of other cocktails.  I'm stuck on the selection for beer.  I thought we'd do a his/her favorite, Miller Lite, Blue Moon and then pick another darker beer.  Is that enough?  Ideas? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Alcohol

• edited December 2011
    I think a his and her favorite is a great idea and I think the two you picked are just fine. Blue Moon is a darker beer than Miller Lite and it has a more distictive taste than a lot of other kinds that will make it special. I don't really think you need to provide another kind by any means, however, if you wanted you could do a Sam Adams type or even a cider.

However, I think your 2 wines, cocktails, and beer sounds like a great bar that I am sure you guests will appreciate.

Out of curiosity (we too are buying our own alcohol) what wines are you getting? I know nothing of wine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a dark beer drinker, I can't stand either Blue Moon or Miller Lite, so maybe provide Guinness/Killian's if you want to do a third beer option.

Otherwise, I think your alcohol selection sounds fine.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto rknox88! (We did Rosemont Shiraz for red wine [Australia] and Babich Sauvignon Blanc [New Zeland] for white and they were both hits.)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_alcohol-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:530f928c-8c0d-4f99-a0b1-dc1f1124ef92Post:4e0dd963-535d-46af-8c66-bda2b8500719">Re: Alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a his and her favorite is a great idea and I think the two you picked are just fine. Blue Moon is a darker beer than Miller Lite and it has a more distictive taste than a lot of other kinds that will make it special. I don't really think you need to provide another kind by any means, however, if you wanted you could do a Sam Adams type or even a cider. However, I think your 2 wines, cocktails, and beer sounds like a great bar that I am sure you guests will appreciate. Out of curiosity (we too are buying our own alcohol) what wines are you getting? I know nothing of wine.
    Posted by rknox88[/QUOTE]

Blue Moon is a very light wheat beer.

I think a pilsner (Miller lite) a wheat beer (blue moon) and something darker like a lager, porter, maybe even stout or amber ale would be nice. Guiness, Sierra Nevada, Newcastle, etc.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think Blue Moon may be a bad option, but everything else sounds good! We're doing three different types of wine *buying 30 bottles* A Sangria and buying about 15 different cases of beer just to have a variety. I am only going to spend 250 for beer and we're having 120 ppl.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_alcohol-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:530f928c-8c0d-4f99-a0b1-dc1f1124ef92Post:c747f643-6cac-455f-a9fe-7041a9781be0">Re: Alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alcohol : Blue Moon is a very light wheat beer.Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I got Blue Moon and Newcastle mixed up. Whoops.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Blue Moon= my fav...especially with a big slice of orange.  Yum.
  • edited December 2011
    If you can find it, I highly suggest Boulevard Wheat over Blue Moon.

And I also think a darker beer would be a good addition.
    Clever girl.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards