Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

NWR: Tips for finding a good apartment

I've looked on the nest, but can't seem to find good info on apartment hunting.  I'm going to FL in a week to scope out the scene and hopefully find a place.  So, what questions did you ask while hunting for an apartment?  TIA
My Bio
Derp Engagement Photo
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Tips for finding a good apartment

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm... Make sure there is a nice pool to use included! Especially since you will be in FL! That was my favorite thing about my old apartment. I also had a small gym available, which was nice as well for nights I couldn't make it to my gym.

Otherwise some things I would ask -
    Which utilities are included in the rent and which do you pay on your own?
    What is their pet policy? (Even if you don't have one, you may eventually want one!)
    What are the options for length of lease?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd definitely google the apartment complex and/or landlord and see what people have to say about it/him/her. FI and I have been looking for apartments recently and we found one that we almost took until I googled the landlord and found he is a slumlord. Oyy.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask about policies for painting and hanging things on the wall (since you're going to want to make the place feel homey and you-like).

This is a weird one but check and see where cable hook-ups are. We rented a place with no cable hook-ups in the bedrooms, and of course weren't allowed to add new ones! So there are cords everywhere!

Oh, and I was told to look around the property to see how many females you see, especially if there are females alone. It speaks on safety, or something like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely ask how things get fixed. If it is an apartment complex, they should have a super on duty. Find out how they handle late night requests, including being locked out of your apartment.

If possible, drive by the apartment at night and see how the neighborhood is.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooo I just signed a lease to a condo yesterday!!  I have all these questions fresh in my mind!

First, I'd definitely make sure you can afford it!  See what's included in the rent, what amentities it offers, etc etc, as the ladies above have mentioned.

I asked what kind of security the building has, what parking is like, can guests park in the same garage, how do they handle packages/mail, are there noise policies, move-in fees, and most importantly, will rent ever increase??  Friends of mine live in an apartment, and they didn't know their rent went up until they got a notice saying there will be an increase- they weren't too happy.

The neighborhood was very important to us.. safety, being able to walk to stores, restaurants, and the metro.  If possible, if you run into tenants at the apartment, just ask them how they like it.  If you Google the apartments you're interested in, you have the ability to read reviews of the place, which can be VERY helpful.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the great advice, ladies!  I have googled a few and checked apartmentratings.com.  I ruled out the really bad reviewed ones.  I really appreciate  all the questions to ask...and the number of women.  Never would have thought of that!
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards