Getting in Shape

Steroids/growth hormones...

What is everyone's take on these?  I am NOT interested in taking them and looking for advice, I'm just curious on what other people think about them.  I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding this topic, some for and a lot against.  What do you know about them and have you had any experience personally with them or know someone who has?  I do take supplements before I hit the gym, like creatine glutamine and occasionally C4 for a little kick in the pants but the idea of taking steroids and the like boggle my mind. 

I understand this isn't a place where many of you ladies probably aren't interested in bulking up or bodybuilding so I hope this question isn't irritating, but I like talking about a wide range of fitness and health subjects.  Anyway, you ladies are an inspiration to keep on trucking and it's wonderful to see the encouragement and support that is freely given on this board!  :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Steroids/growth hormones...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_steroidsgrowth-hormones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:005ab691-862b-47a4-8ae2-5f0a74852ef4Post:2db0d896-323a-46d6-9117-9f9da5a99f90">Re: Steroids/growth hormones...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know much about the science of it, honestly.  From what I do know,<strong> the negative side effects don't really seem worth the benefits</strong> to me, but someone with more sciency knowledge might say something else. I guess, for me, one of the greatest feelings in the world is when I can run a bit longer or a bit faster, or lift a heavier weight for more reps than before, or reach a slightly deeper stretch in a yoga pose than I have previously.  Since my goal is fitness rather than a buffed out body, I think I would feel like I was cheating myself if I took steroids.  Like, sure, I might lift heavier or run faster, but would it be me or the stuff I'm putting in my body?  I like the feeling of the strength in my body that comes from hard work and consistent dedication, and I think I'd judge myself a little bit if I had to get that strength somewhat artificially.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree...it's crazy how the men (and maybe some women?) use this stuff and brag and strut how awesome they are, when it's all artifical.  I like to reach and break my barriers on my own as well.  I don't believe the supplements that I take really make me stronger in and of themselves, I take them because it's my understanding that they help with protein synthesis (glutamine) and I like to know that I'm giving my muscles the nutrition that they need.  I think the creatine is just to help saturate muscles, hydrate them and the C4 I use for a vasodilator. Gosh....am I contradicting myself? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Steroids affect literally every system of your body; respiratory, endocrine, reproductive, everything. It is not worth the risks. Also, when you stop taking them your body ends up much worse than before. Creatine is scary as well though. This is not something you should take without seeking medical advise first. Please, please, please do thorough research before taking ANY supplement. Even natural supplements can interfere with each other and create terrible side effects. Sorry for the rant but it is one of the things I hop on my professional soap box for ha ha. I'm a registered kinesiologist btw.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_steroidsgrowth-hormones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:005ab691-862b-47a4-8ae2-5f0a74852ef4Post:541a5db6-2db2-4e2b-a6d3-73f0223b14cb">Re: Steroids/growth hormones...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Steroids affect literally every system of your body; respiratory, endocrine, reproductive, everything. It is not worth the risks. Also, when you stop taking them your body ends up much worse than before.

Creatine is scary as well though. This is not something you should take without seeking medical advise first. Please, please, please do thorough research before taking ANY supplement. Even natural supplements can interfere with each other and create terrible side effects.

Sorry for the rant but it is one of the things I hop on my professional soap box for ha ha. I'm a registered kinesiologist btw.
    Posted by Gustafson28[/QUOTE]

I will absolutely look into it more :). Thank you! I hadn't seen a whole lot of negative about it but maybe I wasn't looking into it enough. I try to be conscientious about the products I use for sure! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gustafson, will you share what you know? I can't seem to find much that indicates much danger and I don't want to be unknowingly poisoning myself! Almost everything I read on it says that yea, may be some minor stuff like tummy upset but creatine is okay. Thd worst I've found is a potential to lessen the body's natural ability to create creatine on it's own...obviously I don't want THAT to happen, but is there more I can learn?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Reading those links. I'll keep ya posted! :)
  • Oh and from personal knowledge the biggest issue is that it is 9/10 times not necessary for the body. Not a scary factor but def a waste of cash! If you take it in abundance it can limit your bodys response to make more. Once you reach a certain limit your body is going to think its done for the day and stop making more. Kinda like pouring water into a glass; when it's full, you stop :) It can also add a lot of water weight to your body. This makes you feel like you aren't progressing and can dehydrate you. Mild dehydration isn't too big of a deal if it is very seldomly occurring but with supplementation it will happen way more. Could get pretty sick and not know why. People take this stuff to get healthy and actually get worse. Additionally, Creatine is viewed in same muscle stimulant category as steroids. Obviously less harmful and naturally occurring but it still is something the Olympics and college sports debate all the time if they will allow the athletes to take. Still legal but large debates on it. Typically, any muscular gains on the Creatine will disappear once supplements stop... Kinda sucky when you've been working your butt off to look that good! Creatine is only utilized during short, explosive exercises such as lifting heavy weights. If you have any other questions I'm here to help. I've trained lots of people with great results. Just need to whip my own butt into wedding shape ha ha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_steroidsgrowth-hormones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:005ab691-862b-47a4-8ae2-5f0a74852ef4Post:3ca3303c-af24-4703-8604-197172e158b7">Re: Steroids/growth hormones...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and from personal knowledge the biggest issue is that it is 9/10 times not necessary for the body. Not a scary factor but def a waste of cash!

If you take it in abundance it can limit your bodys response to make more. Once you reach a certain limit your body is going to think its done for the day and stop making more. Kinda like pouring water into a glass; when it's full, you stop :)

It can also add a lot of water weight to your body. This makes you feel like you aren't progressing and can dehydrate you. Mild dehydration isn't too big of a deal if it is very seldomly occurring but with supplementation it will happen way more. Could get pretty sick and not know why. People take this stuff to get healthy and actually get worse.

Additionally, Creatine is viewed in same muscle stimulant category as steroids. Obviously less harmful and naturally occurring but it still is something the Olympics and college sports debate all the time if they will allow the athletes to take. Still legal but large debates on it.

Typically, any muscular gains on the Creatine will disappear once supplements stop... Kinda sucky when you've been working your butt off to look that good! Creatine is only utilized during short, explosive exercises such as lifting heavy weights.

If you have any other questions I'm here to help. I've trained lots of people with great results. Just need to whip my own butt into wedding shape ha ha
    Posted by Gustafson28[/QUOTE]

Thanks! You've been very helpful :). And I know what u mean about needing to whip ones self into shape, lol...so much easier to tell others than to do it yourself :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Glad I was able to help! Was worried I would sound grumpy!
  • Lol Gustafson! Nonsense, you didn't berate me or call me names and I appreciate that! I'm always eager to learn about this kind of stuff :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ha ha glad to hear it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards