Wedding Woes
Options

I have a serious question

I know no one will know the answer but I want input.

Why is photography like the new hobby to have? I really have a hard time believing that I know so many poeple who love taking pictures and cameras enough to shell out thousands on equipment, software, etc.

I get sort of why SAHMs want to do it and then turn it into a sh!tty side business to excel at mediocrity.

I asked BIL once about why he was into photography and he really didn't have an answer. I suspect though he's really just into it for buying moar stuff, especially if it costs a lot.

Sidenote: There is a girl who is a "friend" on Facebook who has a side photography business and her stuff is just bad. I so want to snark on her, but it's obvious she has no talent and that would be mean. Plus, I don't want her to find out.

Re: I have a serious question

• Options
    i wish i could take good photos. i am afraid that expensive equipment really won't do me any good. another side business SAHMs need to stop is running daycares. they are everywhere around here. it's amazing that there is practically one on every corner in these parts because people are converting their garage into a daycare.
  • Options
    I think b/c the cost of good photography equipment and printing and then ease of use on a digital SLR or even a really good point and shoot, people are able to enter into this world that before has always seemed like it was really hard and really expensive to do.  If you have a decent enough camera, it'll take a really quality picture without too much effort on your part.

That doesn't speak to if the picture itself is any good.
  • Options
    There's a whole mess of 'mom-tographers' on my local.  There's a few that are good and have legitimate businesses (and others from my local use them).

And then there are the rest of them...well yeah.

It's definitely the trendy thing to do.  I'm a shitty photog.  I love having instagram on my iPhone because it definitely makes my mediocre to bad pics look better.
  • Options

i think it's because photography has gotten a lot less expensive and more accessible with good digital cameras.  there's no paper photo to process, everyone has a printer, you can share them really easily, and you can make changes using everything from paint to high-end programs.

the other thing is that taking pictures used to be a vacation or formal thing.  but now that cameras are in phones, people take pictures a lot more casually now.  so instead of thinking of it as a boutique thing, it's become more everyday, which in turn has become more "i can do this."

• Options
    I was in a mode of b!tching about the rampage of camera pics (and I loathe Instagram, seriously just take a picture hipster) until I realized the new phone I want has a 5MP, which is half of my much more expensive SLR.  That's better than some low end point n shoots too.  Then, we were gifted some pictures by a photog who 'fessed up they were from his phone that were really great.

So, I made myself stop complaining about photos from them.
  • Options
    Good points. Good points.

Semi-related: I need someone to help me buy a new camera. Our point and shoot is 5 years old, and we'd like something better but we don't really want a DSLR (neither of us has any interest in lugging something that big around or learning all the settings).
  • Options
    I know why I do it, I took a class back in 6th grade, caught the bug, took classes in high school and college with film as my medium. I've just always enjoyed it. 

Having a DSLR just makes it easier to get results i want without a dark room of my own. I'd still love a dark room though, I LOVED developing and printing my own stuff.
  • Options
    This article isn't too old.   http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351841,00.asp

I know I have something saved that was "Best Point N Shoots for the Pros" I just can't find it.  I'll keep looking.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-have-a-serious-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:3e1e2e96-265f-497b-8e69-16e7e86dbd54Post:afc0dee3-4a03-4ec0-a630-390bb0f9e01f">Re: I have a serious question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good points. Good points. Semi-related: I need someone to help me buy a new camera. Our point and shoot is 5 years old, and we'd like something better but we don't really want a DSLR (neither of us has any interest in lugging something that big around or learning all the settings).
    Posted by PMeg819[/QUOTE]

<div>I have a fine arts degree with a photography background and find that the Nikon Coolpix is reasonably priced and the quality is pretty good for a point and shoot (wouldn't recommend if you're trying to make prints larger than 8x10). Only a professional would be able to tell the difference from what I take with the Nikon Coolpix versus my DSLR cameras IMO.</div><div>
    </div><div>In the past I've owned Kodak Easyshare cameras, but I always thought they were POSs.</div>
  • Options
    I have been trying to learn how to take some good pictures, but I have no desire to turn it into a business or photograph landscapes or anything like that.

I did DD2's 6 month pictures and while they're far from professional, they aren't bad and I only need to pass them out to family anyway.
  • Options
    What amazes me is that so many people can't see how bad their photos are.  Everyone can grab a decent photo once in a while with a good camera and some luck, but you had better be better than that to charge people real American dollars for your services.   How do you sit at home all day looking at photo blogs and not pick up a few skills in distinguishing a good photo from a bad one?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I understand stay at home moms doing the daycare thing, because it provides income and provides you opportunity to be available to your kids, which is the main goal of SAHM-ing, no? But photographers work after hours, weekends, holidays, all summer, etc. etc... not ideal for a mom with a family that she assumingly wants to be with if she wants to be a stay at home mom... i don't get it :S
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards